Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith M&P Shield vs. Sig P365

Feedback Score

Smith M&P Shield vs. Sig P365

I'm a new convert to the M & P Shield, but watching several videos on YouTube about the Sig P365 I'm becoming drawn to it too.

After having sold off a bunch of guns to pay for a big tax bill this year I actually have a surplus so I'd appreciate a "Pros and Cons" assessment of the Shield and P365 head to head.

I'm kind of starting with the premise that both pistols are great EDC weapons, but is one slightly better than the other in your mind?

What I know so far:

1. Shield beats the Sig on price unless I missed an offering somewhere.
    2. Sig holds slightly more rounds
    3. Sig had some teething problems (?) that may be in the past
    4. Shield's mags are a pain to load (my personal experience)

So, those of you who own both handguns, which one do you prefer and WHY?

How many rounds have you put through each?

Any reliability or durability issues?

Do you find one more accurate or points better?

Any concealment issues?

I've not looked into the availability of mags for the Sig, but I'm assuming on this point both are equal.

(I searched for a pre-existing thread on this but didn't find one).

Feedback Score
    I own both. Actually multiple Shields.

I have over 1,000 rounds down both platforms.

I’d rather shoot the Shield and I’d rather carry the Sig.

The Shield is more accurate, recoil is more controllable, and contrary to the mass opinion, has a much more manageable trigger.

At least with my examples, the Shield has about 50 FPS more velocity. Perhaps this is an advantage in terminal performance, but I cannot provide any evidence to support that conclusion.

The Sig does hold more rounds. It also comes with more pleasant to use sights as well as better grip texturing.

Sig magazines are even harder to load than the Shield magazines.

The price of the Sig is about $100 too high in my opinion.

The trigger on the Sig is terrible. While it’s a relatively flat, light trigger, it has some kind of plastic bushing to act as a hard stop in the striker that fixes the trigger a very artificial break and stop. It just doesn’t feel like a real gun; that’s the only way I can describe it.

So far, my Sig is still kicking without issue. I plan to take it to 2,000 rounds before I clean and lube it and call it carry worthy.

I believe a set up Ameriglo sights and some stippling turns the Shield into a phenomenal carry gun. The capacity doesn’t concern me as I’m more confident with shot placement and the platform overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post

I believe a set up Ameriglo sights and some stippling turns the Shield into a phenomenal carry gun. The capacity doesn’t concern me as I’m more confident with shot placement and the platform overall.

Yes, I've noticed the slickness of the grip. With wet or sweaty hands the Shield might be kind of drop-prone. That was one thing I hated about early Glocks, too.

Feedback Score
    About 15 minutes with a soldering iron and you’re good to go. Or the 2.0 version is great out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I can't speak for the P365, but I love my Shield. I have an original 1.0 Shield, and have put close to 1,800 rounds through it. I have no issues carrying the gun, and have never had a reliability issue with it. I opted for the Taran Tactical +2 extensions for my spare mags taking them from 8 to 10 rounds. I also upgraded my sights to the Trijicon HD's. Ran it completely stock for until I put about 1,200 rounds through it.

The one downside to the Shield is the slide stop/release is very stiff when you first get it, and takes awhile to loosen up. I know people will probably jump in here and say how it wasn't designed to be a slide release, but I feel that in this day in age the slide stop needs to also act as a release or your design is sub-par. Like I said, that's the only downside but it does break in and now I can use it as a slide release without any issues.

Feedback Score
    I have taken the Shield through a class or two and dropping it with wet hands was never a concern.

Things I don't like about the 365 compared to the Shield.
    1.) It's borderline too small. I have big hands.
    2.) Price
    3.) Trigger

In my opinion, magazine capacity relative to size is the 365s only party trick. It's also a difficult gun to master due to the light weight, size and recoil. Not undoable but you definitely have to put your work in.

The Shield is more controllable, much cheaper, proven and reliable. Yes, you're sacrificing 2-3 rounds. But if I had to choose which one I would actually fight with, it would be the Shield. The Shield has a bit of heft to which I appreciate and helps control the recoil. I also share the same sentiment with Ohio Shooter regarding the slide stop/release.

Mags are cheaper and more easily found with the shield.

If you cant conceal one you can't conceal the other.

Both are probably the same accuracy wise but the shield is definitely easier to shoot.

I have over 1,000rds through the Shield. Not sure about the 365. Enough time behind it to know I don't really care about the magazine capacity because of the other drawbacks.
    If it were me, I would spend whatever you were going to spend on the 365 on training instead.
    Last edited by tacticaldesire; 05-21-19 at 08:26.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    Good advice. BTW we all were talking about the difficulty of loading mags. Is there a specific LULA one would recommend?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've just handled the 365, but I gave up on Sig a long time ago. Prior to retirement, I procured over 40 Shields for our narcotics detectives. Before selection, we got a sample in to evaluate. Over 8000 rounds were fired through that gun without cleaning, and minimal lube. No issues. It soon became the unofficial OD carry gun for personal purchase. Since adaptation six or more years ago, there have been zero issues with the guns and no parts breakage I'm aware of. My personal gun has over 5000 rounds on it. Additionally, a local private security entity I train uses them with no issues. I'll take this gun over the Sig all day long. That company has a long way to go to re earn my trust.
    As for leaders, get a standard maglula. It will work but is a little wobbly. To fix that, buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/Maglula-1911A...r=8-2-fkmrnull

And spend about fifteen minutes with a nail file or small sanding block to make it fit. I have four so equipped to speed things along when running classes. My opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    ...I procured over 40 Shields for our narcotics detectives. Before selection, we got a sample in to evaluate. Over 8000 rounds were fired through that gun without cleaning, and minimal lube. No issues. It soon became the unofficial OD carry gun for personal purchase. Since adaptation six or more years ago, there have been zero issues with the guns and no parts breakage I'm aware of. My personal gun has over 5000 rounds on it.
    I always love to read high round counts with no issues. I have owned a Glock 26 and a Glock 42, and I definitely prefer the Shield to either one of those.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Yes, I've noticed the slickness of the grip. With wet or sweaty hands the Shield might be kind of drop-prone. That was one thing I hated about early Glocks, too.
    I have a 1.0 version Shield. The grip was way too slick. I put a Talon grip sticker on it. Works great even after a couple years. Highly recommended

https://talongungrips.com

The other complaint I have with my Shield is the annoying texture Smith & Wesson put in front of the trigger guard. This is a knuckle buster. Easily fixed with some sand paper wrapped around a sharpie marker.

I put a set of ameriglo cap sights, an Apex trigger kit and a talon sticker on my shield. I have over 3,000 rounds through the gun. It's one of the most useful firearms I've purchased. I'm a big fan.
    Last edited by signal4l; 05-21-19 at 09:49.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast