I have owned two Shields. For the price, they are the best, most reliable single stack 9's on the market imo. The reasons I never kept them were imo hinged triggers are retarded, the stock trigger is decent for Smith, I never really wanted to invest in an apex upgrade that was almost half the price I paid for the gun. At the time I owned them, quality holsters were hard to come by. The grip is too slick, I took it through a light concealed carry class and needed more texture.

I have way more trigger time on the Shield. I have rented the P365 twice, and it is personally my favorite "single stack" 9mm that I have shot so far. Good factory trigger, excellent sights, handles recoil surprisingly well (124gr, nothing +P or heavier from me), and has great factory texturing. I haven't bought one yet only because I have not had any free money so far this year, but I will own one some day. I might even skip over the P365 and get the P365XL for the slightly added velocity. YMMV.

The Shield is more vetted, priced better, has more aftermarket support (Now) has had less overall glaring issues as well. I've just never really been in love with it.