Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Powder ... Rifle..... Pistol... BPC... making/ shooting/ whatever

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Black Powder ... Rifle..... Pistol... BPC... making/ shooting/ whatever

I'm not sure why we don't have a black powder section on the board, or why we don't at least have a thread going in this section.

Is anyone making their own black powder?

Anyone casting their own bullets?

I'm sitting on 10+lbs of Black MZ which I picked up awhile back pretty cheap. I've also got a bit of Goex (FF) and some other stuff on the shelf. The Black MZ is supposedly no longer being made, and with BP prices currently, I can't help but wonder if the time involved with making my own BP is worth it. Then again, it does sound like an incredibly fun project.

I'll post a few pics.

This first one is a reproduction Remington 1858 being fired.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This one is our black powder Lymans muzzle loader (cap and ball).

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    Yes, unfortunately BP shooting is not as cheap as it used to be. I only shoot real BP ,If the price keeps going up per pound, I may have to look into making my own "Schwarzpulver" . I do cast my own balls and projos, sometimes its necessary due to shooting oddball stuff.
    Last edited by rodinal220; 03-24-20 at 18:31.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodinal220 View Post
    Yes, unfortunately BP shooting is not as cheap as it used to be. I only shoot real BP ,If the price keeps going up per pound, I may have to look into making my own "Schwarzpulver" . I do cast my own balls and projos, sometimes its necessary do to shooting oddball stuff.
    You aren't kidding. The price of real black powder used to be dirt cheap. Now, prices are up high, and online pricing means you have to eat hazmat fees. I'm picking up my own supplies to make BP via stuff available locally. Once I get it down, I may be going that route instead of store bought.

Now I need to get into casting my own round ball and projectiles.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’m lucky enough to live very close to Buffalo Arms which is a major online retailer specializing in black powder supplies. No hazmat as I can pick up powder at the door- Swiss for BPCR’s and muzzleloaders, Goex or Triple 7 for revolvers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I’m lucky enough to live very close to Buffalo Arms which is a major online retailer specializing in black powder supplies. No hazmat as I can pick up powder at the door- Swiss for BPCR’s and muzzleloaders, Goex or Triple 7 for revolvers
    What sort of price are you seeing for Swiss and Triple 7?
    Stick

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    What sort of price are you seeing for Swiss and Triple 7?

Swiss and Triple 7 are each about $30/lb. The Triple 7 goes a long way as I only use it in my ROA but the Swiss I tend to hoard. I picked up a pound of Goex Old Enysford a while back but haven’t done much testing with it to see how it compares to Swiss. It’s a 1.F and is marketed as being designed for BPCR’s so there’s hope. Oh, and it about ten dollars cheaper per pound

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    $30 a pound.... ��
    Stick

Feedback Score
    The price of percussion caps has gone way up, shooting cap and ball revolvers used to be as cheap as shooting 22RF, not anymore, hasn't for a awhile now. The price of patches, wads, lubes all adds to the per shot cost.

I will give you a for instance, I use Gatofeo's #1 lube for a bullet lube, its an old formula, pre-WW2, that a guy by the screen name Gatofeo (ugly cat) repopularzied. It is made with mutton tallow, bees wax and paraffin. The mutton tallow has always been an ingredient that is hard to source nowadays. It is also good for lubing felt wads and even a patch lube, I leave out the paraffin for the patch lube type.

Dixie Gun Works (DGW) had mutton tallow for some years, always with long dry spells in availability. They have been out of it for like three years, it was $5.75 a pound last time I bought it. Now they have Lambs tallow for $17.50 a pound!!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I had to really search to find Goex fff for my son's 1853 Enfield and ended up paying $30/pound. I did find caps at Bass Pro for $10/100.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast