Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FN's 6.5mm Mk 48 Mod 2 machine gun

Feedback Score

FN's 6.5mm Mk 48 Mod 2 machine gun

This caliber seems to be broadening it's horizons:

"The prototype FN MK 48 Mod 2 6.5CM features the latest upgrades for FN’s series of light and medium machine guns, including an adjustable stock for length of pull and cheek height; improved, locking charging handle; improved, double-notched sear; improved handguard with 3-, 6- and 9-o’clock positions with improved bipod; and, more robust feed tray latch, ensuring the feed tray cover locks into place during reloads. Once development is complete, existing MK 48 Mod 1 models can be configured at the armorer level to the Mod 2 variant or newest caliber with the addition of the upgrade kit and barrel conversion."

https://fnamerica.com/press-releases...ic-conference/

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I wonder what % barrel life will be reduced by in typical use.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    What bullet is going to be standard for non-precision roles like this?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    FN just keeps coming out with more badass stuff.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't get this.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Probably some sort of 130-142gr FMJ would be my guess.

Looks like an interesting effort to stretch the effective range of the medium MG with minimal changes for organizations already fielding the platform.

Be interesting to see reports of actual performance in beaten zones, hit probability, and other machine gun specific performance when the gun is employed on the tripod with a T&E mechanism.

Feedback Score
    So what niche does this fill? Mk 46 or SAW replacement?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't get this.
    I'm with you.... without getting my ballistics sliderule out, 7.62 carries more energy at useful ranges. (Say 800 yards or so) 6.5cm doesn't have an advantage until after that and pretty much useless once it goes subsonic around what, 1400 yards depending on the projo and mv at barrel?
    Don't get me wrong, I am all over the 6.5cm in a precision rifle and have one. Just not sure about it being better at the MG range.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    I'm with you.... without getting my ballistics sliderule out, 7.62 carries more energy at useful ranges. (Say 800 yards or so) 6.5cm doesn't have an advantage until after that and pretty much useless once it goes subsonic around what, 1400 yards depending on the projo and mv at barrel?
    Don't get me wrong, I am all over the 6.5cm in a precision rifle and have one. Just not sure about it being better at the MG range.
    Exactamundo. 6.5 grab ass just tickles the steel gongs when we shoot it. In a non-precision/machine gun burst, I'd take M-80 ball all day long for actual delivery of the "goods".
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    *opens bottle of Bai coconut water siiiiip

Earth belongs to the young, you old fogies! EARTH BELONGS TO THE YOUNG!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast