Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FN's 6.5mm Mk 48 Mod 2 machine gun

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    M80 Ball isn’t doing anything a 140gr 6.5mm pill at similar velocity won’t also do, and the sectional density of the 6.5mm will probably net better penetration.
    Penetration of what? People? Barriers?

6.5 is noticeably anemic compared to .308 between 500 and 1300 yards in my experience.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

6.5 is noticeably anemic compared to .308 between 500 and 1300 yards in my experience.
    Scooby says "Armghhhhh?"

https://www.primaryarms.com/blog/6_5...caliber-battle
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

Your anecdotal experience doing what exactly? Making steel targets make noise? Putting holes in paper? Are you conducting penetration testing at range?

While I enjoy shooting steel targets as well, I am under no illusions that it has any bearing on terminal ballistics data. The math pretty clearly indicates that beyond 400M the 6.5 Creedmoor is carrying more energy, shooting flatter, and drifting less in the wind; all due to higher retained velocity. I know you're a .308 fan, and have invested time and money into the cartridge, but for the most part the 6.5 Creedmoor is the better mousetrap past 400M.

Anecdotally I have a good friend who has been hunting with a 6.5 Creedmoor for a few years now, and has been quite happy with how the cartridge performs on critters up to elk, he's lucky enough to get get land owner tags so he shoots one or two elk every year. These 500lb - 700lb 4 legged animals evidently die pretty quickly when being zapped with 6.5mm projectiles, leading me to believe that using the same diameter bullet on a bipedal 200lb ape will also probably work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123