Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Military Issued Optics for the M4A1 SOCOM Carbine

Feedback Score
    I wonder as well. I really like this video which showcases both scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot_man View Post
    I wonder if a Kahles can pass a side impact test. Weight is a big issue but if durability is #1, then I think the steel and solid brass internals of the Vortex Razor are worth considering.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The weight savings on the newer Vortex Razor 1-6 “E” is a result of the internals now being made out of aluminum vs the brass on the non-E according to the Vortex Optics rep on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot_man View Post
    I wonder if a Kahles can pass a side impact test. Weight is a big issue but if durability is #1, then I think the steel and solid brass internals of the Vortex Razor are worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Military Issued Optics for the M4A1 SOCOM Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by pomyc View Post
    The weight savings on the newer Vortex Razor 1-6 “E” is a result of the internals now being made out of aluminum vs the brass on the non-E according to the Vortex Optics rep on this site.

It’s not all of the internals, it has to do with the turrets or something small like that. My E took a hard spill when I first got it and had been fine.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    To be clear, I was not at all insinuating that Razor wasn’t durable. But it appears you are correct about the changes from brass to aluminum being partial:

VortexOptics Rep:

“...The lightening to the "E" model came almost exclusively from changing some materials internally from brass (An easier material to machine) to aluminum (A more difficult material to machine, but far lighter, and no less durable). If this scope were weak, there wouldn't be a Geissele-specific mount for a specific group within SOCOM to make a mount specific to that scope... i.e. - some hard asses use them...”

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    It’s not all of the internals, it has to do with the turrets or something small like that. My E took a hard spill when I first got it and had been fine.

Feedback Score
    With the E variant, it's now only a 1/4 pound heavier than the Kahles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    Kahles great glass, reticle (for me mil stadia), good illuminated pattern and generous eyebox across power.

FFP vs SFP... FFP too small at low, SFP reticle changes value across range. To accomodate this quickly and effectively takes a bit of practice.

Regarding magnifier changing POI, I just made that up. POI never changes when you bend light.
    With regards to SFP values changing in magnification, if used for ranging would you not be at max power anyway to get good ranging.

If at lower magnification and needing to use the SFP reticle as BDC, well would the target again be rather far anyway and would perhaps allow the quick turn of the magnification to max?

Just looking to hear a professionals opinion on how big of a detriment is the SFP reticle changing value?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
    With regards to SFP values changing in magnification, if used for ranging would you not be at max power anyway to get good ranging.

If at lower magnification and needing to use the SFP reticle as BDC, well would the target again be rather far anyway and would perhaps allow the quick turn of the magnification to max?

Just looking to hear a professionals opinion on how big of a detriment is the SFP reticle changing value?
    Non issue in my opinion, for the reasons you said. And I like the way SFP reticles pop at 1x.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123