Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Military Issued Optics for the M4A1 SOCOM Carbine

Feedback Score
    Despite it's problems the EOTech seems to be the most commonly appearing RDS in pics of HSLD dudes. That said, I've seen the LPVO in more pics in the last few years.

Those Tier-1 fellows are more than likely smacking bad guys at "closer" ranges than an Infantry unit. Special and specific missions. If they have problems with their EOTech it'll get swapped out post-haste. I guess the LPVO realm is gathering steam these days.

Personally I prefer the FOV and reticle of the EOTech to an Aimpoint, be it M2/M3/M4 or Micro. I do not, however, think that the EOTech is as reliable for a number of reasons.....not "thermal drift", as they all have it to some degree, but battery life and other failure malfunctions. I have Aimpoint Micros, ACOGs, and one EOTech, so I am familiar with all of them.

I think the day will come that the LPVO will incorporate an EOTech-ish reticle and be much smaller and lighter. Maybe the size of an Aimpoint M2/M3/M4.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Honestly the Elcan was really awesome in my very limited experience with it. Better mount, shave a little weight, and drop the price and it would have a ton of potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Army BCT has a lot of M4s

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Honestly the Elcan was really awesome in my very limited experience with it. Better mount, shave a little weight, and drop the price and it would have a ton of potential.

Heard nothing but good things about Elcans, was a popular optic with the SF boys I know. Never got to use one. Eventually would like to get my hands on one.
    Ducti Amore Patriae

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    We got some Elcans for our M4’s around 2008 or so. I didn’t really like them, because of weight. We still had ACOGs and EoTechs available, so I stuck with those at the time. I wouldn’t mind giving the Can O’ Elk a try again. As I get older I appreciate variable mag more and more.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Obviously not the OP, but your input is always valued.

Can you expound upon your experiences training up on a LPVO? For various reasons I’m moving in that direction. There are certain nuances I’m discovering with training, but I’m finding I’m liking it more than expected with good performance results.

Also, what makes the Khales standout to you?

As a expert, it would be helpful to get your perspectives.

Again, thanks for your time and input.

Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    If you take the time to train, the 1-6x variables offer alot. My favorite is the Kahles by a large margin.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

I recently got an Elcan for my MK18. It's an awesome scope. For a 14.5 clone that's what I'd chose. For me though, I don't get enough use out of it's 4x.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    For a non-high end professional user who doesn't change batteries on interval nor habitually train with a vari-powered optic I would consider.

For a red dot I would go MicroT-2, 2moa dot. The 5year battery life doesn't suck. I like the EOTech's visual presentation, not the battery life or durability.

For an optic I would consider an ACOG 3.5x, good eye relief and FOV, stupid tough. The 4x versions blow, stay away.

If you take the time to train, the 1-6x variables offer alot. My favorite is the Kahles by a large margin.

Perhaps put a flip up magnifier behind a micro. Disadvantage is if not centered up will change POI, test for POI shift. Also, you will have 4 lenses to clear if getting out of an AC car or house into hot and humid environment.
    I have tried this, and POI does not change. I have uncentered the magnifier by using a riser on it and not the rds, as well as by radically adjusting internals (g33). POI shifted an undetected amount (<0.25moa).

Feedback Score
    May I also add that it is a full 1/2 pound lighter than the venerable Vortex Razor HD Gen 2!

Kahles great glass, reticle (for me mil stadia), good illuminated pattern and generous eyebox across power.

FFP vs SFP... FFP too small at low, SFP reticle changes value across range. To accomodate this quickly and effectively takes a bit of practice.

Regarding magnifier changing POI, I just made that up. POI never changes when you bend light.
    That made me chuckle.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    May I also add that it is a full 1/2 pound lighter than the venerable Vortex Razor HD Gen 2!

That made me chuckle.
    I wonder if a Kahles can pass a side impact test. Weight is a big issue but if durability is #1, then I think the steel and solid brass internals of the Vortex Razor are worth considering.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast