G&R Tactical
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Military Issued Optics for the M4A1 SOCOM Carbine

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,606
    Feedback Score
    0
    Despite it's problems the EOTech seems to be the most commonly appearing RDS in pics of HSLD dudes. That said, I've seen the LPVO in more pics in the last few years.

    Those Tier-1 fellows are more than likely smacking bad guys at "closer" ranges than an Infantry unit. Special and specific missions. If they have problems with their EOTech it'll get swapped out post-haste. I guess the LPVO realm is gathering steam these days.

    Personally I prefer the FOV and reticle of the EOTech to an Aimpoint, be it M2/M3/M4 or Micro. I do not, however, think that the EOTech is as reliable for a number of reasons.....not "thermal drift", as they all have it to some degree, but battery life and other failure malfunctions. I have Aimpoint Micros, ACOGs, and one EOTech, so I am familiar with all of them.



    I think the day will come that the LPVO will incorporate an EOTech-ish reticle and be much smaller and lighter. Maybe the size of an Aimpoint M2/M3/M4.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NoVA/Richmond
    Posts
    6,150
    Feedback Score
    79 (100%)
    Honestly the Elcan was really awesome in my very limited experience with it. Better mount, shave a little weight, and drop the price and it would have a ton of potential.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    398
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Army BCT has a lot of M4s

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    39
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Honestly the Elcan was really awesome in my very limited experience with it. Better mount, shave a little weight, and drop the price and it would have a ton of potential.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heard nothing but good things about Elcans, was a popular optic with the SF boys I know. Never got to use one. Eventually would like to get my hands on one.
    Ducti Amore Patriae

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,161
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We got some Elcans for our M4ís around 2008 or so. I didnít really like them, because of weight. We still had ACOGs and EoTechs available, so I stuck with those at the time. I wouldnít mind giving the Can Oí Elk a try again. As I get older I appreciate variable mag more and more.
    RLTW

    ďThat is why there isn't an AK chart.Ē -SteyrAUG

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    799
    Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    For a non-high end professional user who doesn't change batteries on interval nor habitually train with a vari-powered optic I would consider.

    For a red dot I would go MicroT-2, 2moa dot. The 5year battery life doesn't suck. I like the EOTech's visual presentation, not the battery life or durability.

    For an optic I would consider an ACOG 3.5x, good eye relief and FOV, stupid tough. The 4x versions blow, stay away.

    If you take the time to train, the 1-6x variables offer alot. My favorite is the Kahles by a large margin.

    Perhaps put a flip up magnifier behind a micro. Disadvantage is if not centered up will change POI, test for POI shift. Also, you will have 4 lenses to clear if getting out of an AC car or house into hot and humid environment.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    408
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Obviously not the OP, but your input is always valued.

    Can you expound upon your experiences training up on a LPVO? For various reasons Iím moving in that direction. There are certain nuances Iím discovering with training, but Iím finding Iím liking it more than expected with good performance results.

    Also, what makes the Khales standout to you?

    As a expert, it would be helpful to get your perspectives.

    Again, thanks for your time and input.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    If you take the time to train, the 1-6x variables offer alot. My favorite is the Kahles by a large margin.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    1,400
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Honestly the Elcan was really awesome in my very limited experience with it. Better mount, shave a little weight, and drop the price and it would have a ton of potential.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I recently got an Elcan for my MK18. It's an awesome scope. For a 14.5 clone that's what I'd chose. For me though, I don't get enough use out of it's 4x.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

    I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,340
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    For a non-high end professional user who doesn't change batteries on interval nor habitually train with a vari-powered optic I would consider.

    For a red dot I would go MicroT-2, 2moa dot. The 5year battery life doesn't suck. I like the EOTech's visual presentation, not the battery life or durability.

    For an optic I would consider an ACOG 3.5x, good eye relief and FOV, stupid tough. The 4x versions blow, stay away.

    If you take the time to train, the 1-6x variables offer alot. My favorite is the Kahles by a large margin.

    Perhaps put a flip up magnifier behind a micro. Disadvantage is if not centered up will change POI, test for POI shift. Also, you will have 4 lenses to clear if getting out of an AC car or house into hot and humid environment.
    I have tried this, and POI does not change. I have uncentered the magnifier by using a riser on it and not the rds, as well as by radically adjusting internals (g33). POI shifted an undetected amount (<0.25moa).

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    799
    Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Kahles great glass, reticle (for me mil stadia), good illuminated pattern and generous eyebox across power.

    FFP vs SFP... FFP too small at low, SFP reticle changes value across range. To accomodate this quickly and effectively takes a bit of practice.

    Regarding magnifier changing POI, I just made that up. POI never changes when you bend light.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •