Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changing up the EDC, anyone ever done it? (vp9SK)

Feedback Score
    I actually do change my EDC gear, but it's between a Glock 19/19X and a
    HKP30. I have more experience with glocks but I bought a p30 LEM back in 2012, before the John Wick movies had an influence on everybody buying one. My reason back then was glocks were having ejection issues and I read so many good things about the P30 I decided to buy one to replace my Glock. At first I hated the LEM trigger, and still shot glocks, but I kept going back to it and today I still shoot it and carry it with my glocks.
    Last edited by Phillygunguy; 05-28-19 at 06:27.
    ”Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American… The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people”
    ~Tench Coxe

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I spent years going from gun to gun to gun. I have slowed considerably over the last 5 or so years with J-Frames, 1911s and Berettas being my standards. You just have to find out what works for you. You cannot, really do much other than listen and try stuff out. For years I HATED revolvers and berettas. I hated DA/SA and I thought the Beretta Grip was too big. I owned zillions of Glocks and HKs. I kept trying to like the G19 because everyone kept saying it was great. G19s hate me. Gen 3s rain brass in my face. My Gen 5 ejected properly but the trigger went to crap at about 1500 rounds so I said forget it. Basically, I just decided to settle on what I noticed I was actually carrying out of my zillion guns. I still love trying new stuff (playing with a P10F right now), but I don't think there is any way to make yourself like anything.

I had a P2000Sk years ago and it was a fantastic gun. It was basically a DA/SA VP9. I did, however dislike the bulk of the gun (just like the G26) because I found it only a bit more comfortable than a G19 sized gun.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've bounced around from a 1st gen M&P 45 Midsize to a G19 to the M&P 2.0 9mm Ccompact to a Sig 320 9mm Compact and in one way or another I've liked them all. The M&P45 is the most accurate of them all followed by the Sig320 then the M&P 2.0 and lastly the G19.If i were forced to pick only 1 it would be the M&P 2.0 9mm Compact. Feels great in my hand, its very accurate and is as reliable as any of them.

SeriousStudent is definitely right about getting both left and right hand holsters and mag carriers. A few years back I tore a right pectoral muscle working out and couldn't use my right arm for much for 4-6 months. It wasn't fun learning how to use my left hand for everything and it was an eye opening learning experience.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I carried a compact .45 1911 for 20 years.

Then a bit of training taught me that you can get to slide lock really quick. Especially if the Gang of Four jumps on you.

So I parked the 1911 and got serious. 17+1 of 9mm in modern double stack, striker fired plastic.
    I experienced the same. Went from a Colt Defender to a Glock 19

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    I experienced the same. Went from a Colt Defender to a Glock 19
    Same here. Carried 1911 for 20 years and the weight killed my lower back and was always bothered by the lack of ammo capacity. When my son bought a G19, I did the same and never looked back.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not really.

I found what works for me and will use it until it doesn't.

There is a lot that I would love to try, but in the end, isn't worth the time or financial investment, so I tend to stick with what I have.

It worked yesterday. It'll work tomorrow too.
    Shooter like Kukoč

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    SeriousStudent is definitely right about getting both left and right hand holsters and mag carriers. A few years back I tore a right pectoral muscle working out and couldn't use my right arm for much for 4-6 months. It wasn't fun learning how to use my left hand for everything and it was an eye opening learning experience.
    This is one of the things I like about the newer RCS holsters (Eidolon, Morrigan, Perun) and magazine carriers (Copia): They're all completely ambidextrous out of the box.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by phixion View Post
    Not really.

I found what works for me and will use it until it doesn't.

There is a lot that I would love to try, but in the end, isn't worth the time or financial investment, so I tend to stick with what I have.

It worked yesterday. It'll work tomorrow too.
    There seems to be a level of boredom, or lack of shooting that can mess with people too. It has happened to me several times, including last week.

I keep telling myself I need something smaller than my G26 for daily carry, and I really love the P365, but I can't afford one yet. So what I did last weekend is went to my range and shot the guns that I carry. Made sure I was still effective, accurate, and controlled with them. Did draws from concealment under time, reloads, all that fun stuff.

I realized while doing drills and shooting, that there is no way in hell that I am getting out here and doing this enough, and my idle mind was trying to convince me that a new gun would change how I feel, and make me want to switch everything up. The longer I am away from the range, the more I think I should buy. Sorry to get off tangent a little here.

I went from carrying a Kel Tec Pf9, to a Ruger LCR, to a Glock 26, sold the 26, went to a Shield, sold the Shield, went back to a G26, started carrying a 19, then a 43.

I now carry a G26 when I need something smaller for shorts and a t-shirt, and my G19 every other time. This has been a very expensive learning process for me. Working on being content with what I am invested in! (Not meant to shame or tell anyone that they are wrong in switching up their kits!)
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    I don’t like Glocks, which is down from my original “I hate Glocks” as the Gen 5 guns now feel acceptable. Several years ago I bought a VP9 just to have a striker fired 9mm and I carry it in my EDC rotation. I also shoot it in IDPA and our local three gun competitions. I have consistently hit pepper poppers with it at 100 yards and it has never jammed. XTech magazines work perfectly at $36 each.

In my humble opinion you can buy the HK for about 1.5x what the G19 costs and gain about zero. Magazines, holsters, aftermarket parts. Hell Glock OEM parts! They are all way more available and affordable for Glock than anything else on the planet. If you are already happy with your G19 buy a second one.

FWIW I’m currently in a retro phase, rocking my SA 1911 in shorts and a T-shirt after losing 35 pounds.
    Last edited by Gunnar da Wolf; 05-29-19 at 19:44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    So I have been carrying my gen 3 Glock 19 since I joined this forum pretty much. We have been through not only a half dozen classes, but a few actual escaltion of force incidents, and thousands of rounds. I did all the stippling myself, and even bent my own kydex that I have been rocking for years at this point. I guess i just have some sentimenal feelings towards my 19. Honeslty over the years I have had zero desire to ever replace the glock or even try another gun. Recently though I got cool with a guy that runs the indoor range, and he lets me rent everything for free. I am highly unimpressed with Sigs offerings, but I shot the vp9 recently and it kinda made me want more than the Glock provides.

Anyone out there ever chase the new hotness and never look back? Or did you fall back into old ways once the honeymoon wears off? Obvisouly Im not selling the 19 and can always just continue to carry it, the $900 investment into the vp9SK + mags is a big expesne for me that I try not to take lightly.
    In my opinion, assuming you know what you’re doing, if you cant quantify how a gun is holding you back, a new one wont help.
    If you want to buy a new gun because you like it, go for it, but dont expect better performance.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast