Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changing up the EDC, anyone ever done it? (vp9SK)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    In my opinion, assuming you know what you’re doing, if you cant quantify how a gun is holding you back, a new one wont help.
    If you want to buy a new gun because you like it, go for it, but dont expect better performance.
    I’m not sure that’s 100% accurate. I shoot a VP9 quite a bit better than a Glock. My SK I was hitting upper 90s B8s on day one. A stock 19 I’m low 90s. Sometimes things like ergonomics do matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar da Wolf View Post
    I don’t like Glocks, which is down from my original “I hate Glocks” as the Gen 5 guns now feel acceptable. Several years ago I bought a VP9 just to have a striker fired 9mm and I carry it in my EDC rotation. I also shoot it in IDPA and our local three gun competitions. I have consistently hit pepper poppers with it at 100 yards and it has never jammed. XTech magazines work perfectly at $36 each.

In my humble opinion you can buy the HK for about 1.5x what the G19 costs and gain about zero. Magazines, holsters, aftermarket parts. Hell Glock OEM parts! They are all way more available and affordable for Glock than anything else on the planet. If you are already happy with your G19 buy a second one.
    I don't know where you are looking, but you are buying the XTech mags for what you can get an OEM HK mag for. Also, not sure what you are paying for a G19, but a VP9 can be found from $499 on a good day to low $500's all the time.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'd say I shot my VP9SK marginally better than my 26 and about the same as my 19X. I still have the 26 and sold the VP9SK. It was an awesome gun, with the best stock polymer trigger I've shot, but I can conceal the 26 easier. The VP9SK is dimensionally more like a 19 than a 26, so if you're already carrying a 19, that shouldn't be a big deal. I'd train like hell with the paddle mag release, though. Personally, I love it, but who knows what your reflexes will do if you ever have to use it and the muscle memory isn't there for the paddle release.

For holsters, all of my last 4 CCW holsters came from JM Custom Kydex. They are simply an awesome biz to deal with.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    The VP9SK is dimensionally more like a 19 than a 26, so if you're already carrying a 19, that shouldn't be a big deal.
    It's actually right in between the G19 and G26 height wise and length wise.

Feedback Score
    I would have saved a lot of money just shooting Glocks and snub revolvers.

But then I experienced other pistols that are as reliable as Glocks but actually feel good in hand and don't shoot left.

Feedback Score
    To answer your question OP yes after 90% carrying a G19 for 9 years concealed every day the gun that finally took its place long term is a Beretta Cheetah .32 / .380.

I think I'm on 3 years with it now. Sorta takes me full circle because the very first gun I bought to carry was a Bersa 85. (7+1 .380)
    Almost had to use it against 3 or 4 carjackers. (One event)

Many reasons I like the Beretta but the main ones are its smaller, lighter, DA / SA, and still holds 12+1 or 13+1 rds.
    Last edited by Ron3; 05-30-19 at 13:21.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    I’m not sure that’s 100% accurate. I shoot a VP9 quite a bit better than a Glock. My SK I was hitting upper 90s B8s on day one. A stock 19 I’m low 90s. Sometimes things like ergonomics do matter.

Thats quantifiable. If you cant manage good trigger control with the glock, but can with another gun- you have ID’d how its “holding you back”. I believe you can overcome it, but the decision to work through it or just by another gun that works well with you to get a jump in performance would be rational either way.

Ive found even backstraps can make a noticable impact on performance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Thats quantifiable. If you cant manage good trigger control with the glock, but can with another gun- you have ID’d how its “holding you back”. I believe you can overcome it, but the decision to work through it or just by another gun that works well with you to get a jump in performance would be rational either way.

Ive found even backstraps can make a noticable impact on performance.
    I didn’t mention trigger, but the ergonomics are what sets it above for me. I can get a full grip on the gun. The ability to change our panels helps quite a bit as well.

I’ve also found that I can reload a paddle-release gun faster because I don’t have to roll the gun as far to get the mag out.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    I didn’t mention trigger, but the ergonomics are what sets it above for me. I can get a full grip on the gun. The ability to change our panels helps quite a bit as well.

I’ve also found that I can reload a paddle-release gun faster because I don’t have to roll the gun as far to get the mag out.

I am a big fan of the VP, and P30 series of guns from HK. The grip panel setups are a cool idea, but you will most likely do it once and leave it that way for the rest of the time you have the gun. The triggers on the Vp9's are great, but they always felt very light to me, and it took me awhile to be truly comfortable with it, yet never comfortable enough to carry it every day. I also prefer the European style magazine release to the standard push button because I have smaller hands.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    My hands are an anomaly. Wide, thick, but short fingers. I think that’s why I run the gun well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast