Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 19 cylinder stuck

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

S&W Model 19 cylinder stuck

I bought a 19-4 off Gunbroker and went to pick it up from the shop today. Initially inspection looked good, but as I was going over it the cylinder wouldn't release. I tried a bit with no luck, then I let the shop employee (that's a revolver guy) try and he was able to release it with some effort, and then it stuck again after closing it. Another employee checked it out and had the same issues. On closer inspection there seemed to be a lot of wear where the cylinder meets the rear of the frame (see photo). I'm not very familiar with revolvers aside from a 581 that's given me ZERO issues- is this a simple a fix or should I send it back?

Thanks!

PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Is the ejector rod completed screwed in? It is not uncommon for them to back out and cause the exact issue you describe.

I have a 2.5" Model 19 and a 4" Model 19. Great pistols.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Does it have recessed cartridge holes? The reason I ask is that rear of the cylinder looks like it's heavily scrapping the shield at the rear of the cylinder opening. It shouldn't be. With recessed holes the cylinder will be close to the shield, but shouldn't be touching.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 05-21-19 at 18:46.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Does it have recessed cartridge holes? The reason I ask is that rear of the cylinder looks like it's heavily scrapping the shield at the rear of the cylinder opening. It shouldn't be. With recessed holes the cylinder will be close to the shield, but shouldn't be touching.
    The GB listing didn't have any pics of that so it was a surprise as well- the rest of the gun has very little wear.

PRAISE THE FALLEN

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not recessed. The rear of the cylinder looks pretty good considering all the wear on the shield. The 1st picture shows the cylinder way way too close to the shield. Can you actually put a cartridge in the cylinder and close it?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    After checking the tightness of the ejector rod like SS said...does it move smoothly?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Also, there doesn't seem to be any burn rings on the front of the cylinder. Maybe the cylinder got replaced and it was done wrong.

Feedback Score
    My first guess would be a bent ejector rod. Does the cylinder turn freely or is it in a bind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I left it at my dealer as I don't want to transfer it to me ( and pay the fee) if I'm going to return it. I'll try to swing by there tomorrow and now that I have a better idea of what to look for see what I can figure out.

Thanks for the help!
    PRAISE THE FALLEN

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    After looking at the pictures as carefully as I can, it does look like the cylinder is recessed after all, which would be right for a pinned barrel 19-4. The wear on the recoil shield is excessive. Brass cases wouldnt have caused that...steel frame being much harder. While looking at it again check the fit of the crane to the frame...it should be quite precise.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast