Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a Ruger GP-100 a solid .357 investment?

Feedback Score

Is a Ruger GP-100 a solid .357 investment?

Are they reliable? Rugged? Seems built like a tank.

Opinions?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Im a Smith guy, but Ruger makes a solid revolver for sure. I don t know about investment, but a very good gun. GP-100 is GTG. My good friend loves his and has run it hard.

Buy it if you want it. Pappa gives the green light.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    It’s a scaled-down Super Redhawk (which I own), very reliable and, indeed, built like a tank. Not quite as refined as a S&W but very durable as they were designed to compete against the L-frame. Weak ignition springs are sometimes problematic but easily replaceable.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The GP-100 is solid and the prices on revolvers seem to be going up.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    I got it for $600. It's like new (seriously). A dude owed my buddy some $$$ for gunsmithing and my buddy got it for $575. Made $25 off of me!

I looked at some online retailers and they were all north of $600.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    I’ve had one since 1986/87. Like the others have said they are built like a tank. I used it for a basic training police academy weapon and it never missed a beat. Carried it until semi autos were issued in 91.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Are they reliable? Yes Rugged? Yes Seems built like a tank. Yes. If you don't shoot it you could still keep it around as a spare hammer.

Opinions?
    What are your intentions with it? I think if you are going to get really in depth into cowboy shooting and do a lot of upgrades to refine it's attributes then there are better options out there. But if you just need a reliable solid revolver then it's a fine choice.

I have a 6" GP 100 .357 that I bought as a side kick to my Marlin 1894c lever gun. It's a solid revolver. The SA/DA trigger gets better and better. I've even taken it into a tree a few times and dropped deer with 158gr Buffalo Bore's.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Having owned and shot K frames in 357 extensively, they will shoot themselves loose with a steady diet of hot 357. As do 29s in 44 mag. If you plan to shoot it a bunch I'd go with the ruger.

Feedback Score
    Was digging around through my stash last night and found a partial box of Federal .357 Magnum 125gr SJHP's. IIRC these are full-on magnum loads, pretty good on two-legged critters "back in the day".
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Rugged, reliable, well built. Probably a little overbuilt. It's basically a second gen security/speed six. The idea was to beef up the old security/speed six to be able to handle unlimited 357.

This is the old speed six in 357

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast