Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optics Questions

Feedback Score

Optics Questions

Is it better to drop a 1-6 on a 16" and a 1-4 on a 14.5" or does it really matter?

Also Does anyone run an LPVO on a HD Carbine? That is what I use my SBR for.

Rifles:

Rifle 1: 16" mid length Daniel Defense Gov. Profile, Geissele MK1 13" rail, SSA trigger

Rifle 2: 14.5" factory pinned A2X Colt Socom, Midwest Industries 2 piece MLOK handguard, G2S Trigger

Rifle 3: 12" Larue Stealth SBR, Geissele MK8 9" rail, SSA trigger.

Optics I have:

Optic 1: Steiner P4XI in ADM Recon

Optic 2: Burris RT-6 in ADM Recon

Optic 3: Burris Mtac 1-4 in ADM Recon

Optic 4: Sig Romeo 4A in factory mount.
    Last edited by Strikefirst; 05-21-19 at 21:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My thought is that this post is strange/confusing. Why are you asking us which optic you should put on on your rifle(s). I didn’t read the whole post because the asterisks threw me off but did you mention what each rifle is being used for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    No clue where the asterisks came from.

Revised post

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If you already have the optics, run them and decide what you like. Its not like you have to buy and are trying to decide.

Shoot and decide.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yes, I run a lpvo on my HD rifle, but my eyes are old.

1st question...I dont think it matters.

Feedback Score
    I run an Aimpoint on my HD gun, but it's never gonna shoot more than 100 yds on my property. I have a shitload of trees.

I did put a LPVO (Primary Arms 1-8) on my 14" .308, but it's more of a general purpose combat carbine. Seems to be almost as quick as the red dot, so one could easily work for a close in HD optic.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 05-21-19 at 23:46.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikefirst View Post
    No clue where the asterisks came from.

Revised post
    Thanks for revising! I think others have pretty much nailed it with their responses. And, I can only add that a LPVO is fine for HD but the only one I have that I’d consider over a red dot is the vortex razor 1-6. I have had and used others that I think would suck in that role because the eye box is too small. With that being said, I use a red dot on my HD rifle because it’s always on and my vortex 1-6 sits on my 3gun rifle. Also...14.5 vs 16 should not really matter based on 1-4 vs 1-6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thank you...In 60 days my whole household (myself, wife and 17 year old daughter) went LPVO. The only LPVO I had prior was the Steiner. I started to question the heck out of myself and got caught in the engineer loop.

I do run an RDS on my sbr now...but every time I am at the range I get asked why not an LPVO on on a larue barrel.

I couldn't say no the the wife or kid...and ended up buying in 60 days 1 nib pa gen 3 1-6 (grey for the wife) $200, 2 nib burris MTAC 1-4 $206 each and then a factory BLEM burris RT-6 for $227 with the only blem being some small blue spots on a turret cap. I couldn't say no to the "deals".

This solidifies what I was thinking...and taught me a lesson not to replace every optic before gaining more experience with that optic platform.
    Last edited by Strikefirst; 05-22-19 at 08:37.

Feedback Score
    Good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikefirst View Post
    I do run an RDS on my sbr now...but every time I am at the range I get asked why not an LPVO on on a larue barrel.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Generally, the rifles that are more suited to longer distances fit well with more magnification. Because you aren't trying to create a single, do-it-all rifle, you can have more specialized equipment for each intended use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast