Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Optics Questions

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I always thought in a HD situation, point and shoot seems very viable. RDS or just point gun at bad guy and hit him. Unless you live in a mansion, its 5-15 yard shots. Be hard to miss with a rifle.

HD, RDS
    14.5 and up, a LPVO is just fine. I have some and like them.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Optics Questions

Well, I’ll provide my opinion, and it’s just that, based on my more recent path with RDS vs LPVO on a shorty.

I swore I’d never put a LPVO on an SBR. Afterall, what’s the point of a lightweight, compact, maneuverable SBR if you put a 17-21 oz long log on the top of it, right?

I’ll soon be 47. After nearly 47 years of perfect 15/20, 20/20 vision, I am finally succumbing to normal age related degradation of my vision. Primary issue at this point is loss of elasticity adjustment from near to far (in other words, I’m becoming nearsighted) and some fuzziness at distance in low light. I know sooner rather than later, I’m heading for corrective vision. I’m trying to delay that as long as I can.

I’ve always used and loved RDS and still do. On perfect, bright days, still no issues. But wanting to stay a competent shooter in all conditions (I shoot and train quite a bit), I begrudgingly said, screw it, and bought a Vortex Razor Gen2 1-6 E for my 11.5 which is a HD gun. Being able to adjust focus has been wonderful when needed.

I’ve put a lot of rounds through the combo and I’m pleasantly surprised. While the gun is obviously heavy, it is well balanced and very maneuverable.

The performance is where I’m really happy. It’s taken very little adjustment to transition to using the scope. At short ranges via 1x my splits are not noticeably slower vs the RDS. What is noticeable is the increase in accuracy. I’m very happy with how my groups are shrinking even at short distances. Longer distance accuracy improvements are obvious with the variable power. I shoot the SBR out to 200 frequently and at 6x A and good C zone hits are the norm.

Of course, there isn’t quite the same forgiveness and freedom as a RDS with “unlimited” eye relief but it’s the nature of the beast and I’m finding proper training and getting used to the LPVO eye box is quick.

Again, I’m not crazy about the weight but I can get used to it based on performance. I personally don’t feel that 1-4 or 1-6 matters. I’d argue the more power the better as a 14.5 is certainly capable of longer distance shots. The transition to LPVO on an SBR and HD gun is a welcome and new dynamic for me to continue to improve my capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by arptsprt; 05-22-19 at 21:08.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply...I have a bad astigmatism in my dominant eye and need correction in both eyes. Etched reticle is the reason I bought my first lpvo a p4xi, well that and optics planet matched a sale plus and I got it for under $400.

I will definitely look at LPVO on the sbr if my dominant eye gets worse.

Feedback Score
    Fixed 1x prism scopes have an etched reticle that is MUCH easier to see and can be focused for your vision quality. Granted, you give up the long range advantages of higher magnification, but we are talking HD close range work. They are lightweight, robust, and they don't need batteries to work. There is eye relief that makes the experience a bit different from RDS, but it's pretty close.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pomyc View Post
    Of course, there isn’t quite the same forgiveness and freedom as a RDS with “unlimited” eye relief but it’s the nature of the beast and I’m finding proper training and getting used to the LPVO eye box is quick.
    I agree. Fortunately, the eye box is pretty forgiving at 1 power, so my close times aren't negatively impacted. The eye box only gets more finicky when you crank up the magnification, and the bad guys are (I hope) farther away.
    Last edited by RKB Armory; 05-24-19 at 14:24.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Optics Questions

Yeah. I’ll crank to 3x-3.5x for 50 yd shots, including headshots on an IPSC target. At that magnification I find it’s a good balance doing standing head shot drills and the eye box is still pretty forgiving with a consistent cheek weld which I’m working on. Shooting 25 yds and in I’m back to 1x.

Quote Originally Posted by RKB Armory View Post
    I agree. Fortunately, the eye box is pretty forgiving at 1 power, so my close times aren't negatively impacted. The eye box only gets more finicky when you crank up the magnification, and the bad guys are (I hope) farther away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12