Thread: Multi Tool Revamp....Tools to consider?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Multi Tool Revamp....Tools to consider?

Like most shooters and tactically oriented people I have accumulated a huge pile of multi tools. Everything from Gerbers to Sogs, Leathermans and Victorinox units. Every vehicle I have has at least one in it, wife has one in her purse, many of my packs, range bags and tactical rigs have them on them... A couple of months ago I gathered up every multi tool that I had- about 25 or so and decided to cull them down and replace some of the really older ones with more modern versions- there have been some good changes in multi tools in the last decade.

I ended up keeping all my Leatherman Waves and a Surge. But there were a pretty big pile of older tools that are going away. All of the Sog Power Locks are leaving as are the Victorinox models and the older, basic Gerbers multi pliers. The old Multi Tools ended up on my table at the last gunshow and generated a pretty good bit of cash actually....

For replacements, I'm going to go with Gerber Centerdrives and 600's. I think Gerber has done a great job with these tools. The Centerdrive in particular with bits I can buy at Lowes vs. the limited selection of proprietary Leatherman bits....was a really thoughtful adaptation. The 600 isn't much different from the various Leatherman offerings though access to tools is a bit more difficult. One factor in selecting the Gerbers is cost honestly. I can buy them MUCH cheaper than Leatherman tools, I have a source for the Gerbers at $20 apiece, Leathermans run me $40-50...

Anything else I should consider?
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Like most shooters and tactically oriented people I have accumulated a huge pile of multi tools. Everything from Gerbers to Sogs, Leathermans and Victorinox units. Every vehicle I have has at least one in it, wife has one in her purse, many of my packs, range bags and tactical rigs have them on them... A couple of months ago I gathered up every multi tool that I had- about 25 or so and decided to cull them down and replace some of the really older ones with more modern versions- there have been some good changes in multi tools in the last decade.

I ended up keeping all my Leatherman Waves and a Surge. But there were a pretty big pile of older tools that are going away. All of the Sog Power Locks are leaving as are the Victorinox models and the older, basic Gerbers multi pliers. The old Multi Tools ended up on my table at the last gunshow and generated a pretty good bit of cash actually....

For replacements, I'm going to go with Gerber Centerdrives and 600's. I think Gerber has done a great job with these tools. The Centerdrive in particular with bits I can buy at Lowes vs. the limited selection of proprietary Leatherman bits....was a really thoughtful adaptation. The 600 isn't much different from the various Leatherman offerings though access to tools is a bit more difficult. One factor in selecting the Gerbers is cost honestly. I can buy them MUCH cheaper than Leatherman tools, I have a source for the Gerbers at $20 apiece, Leathermans run me $40-50...

Anything else I should consider?
    Other than hooking me up with one of those Gerber’s? No.. not that I can think of.

That said...I’ve leaned more towards Leatherman, mainly because I’ve broken more Gerbers than Leatherman MT’s. Particularly the pliers on the Gerber, but blades as well. The last multitool I bought was a Leatherman MUT. If the tools are harder to access on the Gerber than the MUT, it must really be a PITA. I like the MUT, but I haven’t found it to be as useful as I had hoped it would. It could be I’m not maxing out the capability of the MUT. I’ve got it on my war belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The original Leatherman Wave (without the removable bits) has been my go-to MT for a long time. I didn't like the Leatherman Charge Ti as much. One tool that is very much like the original Wave is the SwissTool Spirit. It's slim like the original Wave and has a practical array of tools. I got the Leatherman Free P4 and I like it better than the original Wave (it's got a pocket clip!) - it has currently replaced it.

So my top picks are Leatherman Free P4 and SwissTool Spirit.

Feedback Score
    Leatherman wave and skeletool are two that I like. The Free line looks promising also, but no hands on experience.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Another vote for the Leatherman Wave. I also really like the Multitasker and Multitasker Twist. Lately I have been using the AR and Glock specific tools/kits from FixIt Sticks. Their torque limiters are pretty legit.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Other than hooking me up with one of those Gerber’s? No.. not that I can think of.

That said...I’ve leaned more towards Leatherman, mainly because I’ve broken more Gerbers than Leatherman MT’s. Particularly the pliers on the Gerber, but blades as well. The last multitool I bought was a Leatherman MUT. If the tools are harder to access on the Gerber than the MUT, it must really be a PITA. I like the MUT, but I haven’t found it to be as useful as I had hoped it would. It could be I’m not maxing out the capability of the MUT. I’ve got it on my war belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The tools on the Gerber 600/Diesel series are harder to access because they flip out from inside the handle whereas the Leatherman Wave tools are accessed from the outside of the handle. Not that big of a deal but the Wave tools are easier to get to. For the cost differential in my case I can overlook it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    The original Leatherman Wave (without the removable bits) has been my go-to MT for a long time. I didn't like the Leatherman Charge Ti as much. One tool that is very much like the original Wave is the SwissTool Spirit. It's slim like the original Wave and has a practical array of tools. I got the Leatherman Free P4 and I like it better than the original Wave (it's got a pocket clip!) - it has currently replaced it.

So my top picks are Leatherman Free P4 and SwissTool Spirit.
    I've got a couple of Waves that I've added pocket clips to over the years and it really does add to their utility- just easier to carry and so more likely to carry them.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    I've got a couple of Waves that I've added pocket clips to over the years and it really does add to their utility- just easier to carry and so more likely to carry them.
    Too bad they don't have one for the original Wave I have (that I've seen).