Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor pet loads?

Feedback Score
    Another die to consider is a Forster BR seating die or Redding Competition seating die. The Redding may require a minor modification but it’s no problem to do. It does load straight bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'm at 42.6 with Hornady brass and H4350, fed match primers and 2700 out of the 24" AT barrel. I still have quite a few 140 Amax and have no issues with them at 1k, would run a 195-200 for score. When I run out will go back to the Berger 140's if I stay in it.

Euro, don't get to hung up on dies and prep work. I get 1/2" or less with standard RCBS 2 die set, seat to 2.815+/- don't sort brass, etc. etc.

Do be critical with powder measuring though. While I don't have anything "high tech" I check the RCBS scale with an old school OHAUS one. Trickle and to the grain as it pops over to the desired weight.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I'm at 42.6 with Hornady brass and H4350, fed match primers and 2700 out of the 24" AT barrel. I still have quite a few 140 Amax and have no issues with them at 1k, would run a 195-200 for score. When I run out will go back to the Berger 140's if I stay in it.

Euro, don't get to hung up on dies and prep work. I get 1/2" or less with standard RCBS 2 die set, seat to 2.815+/- don't sort brass, etc. etc.

Do be critical with powder measuring though. While I don't have anything "high tech" I check the RCBS scale with an old school OHAUS one. Trickle and to the grain as it pops over to the desired weight.
    Thanks for the info, that makes me feel a lot better. Like I said, I got pretty lucky using the .223 load everyone uses with no load development, RCBS dies, no brass sorting, etc. I’m a good handloader but have zero experience with development so wanted to get some info.

I too bought an RCBS 6.5 two die set. In keeping with my procedure for my .223 loads I removed the expander ball and bought a Sinclair Expander mandrel die for 6.5CM (I use an M die to expand my .223 but Lyman doesn’t make one for 6.5CM). Aside from that I’ll use the standard RCBS dies for FL resizing and seating.

I did get a super deal on an RCBS chargemaster from a buddy so I use that now for powder throws. It takes longer than using a simple manual powder measure but it’s quicker than weighing each charge by hand (what I was doing)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Think I might have polished the e ball on mine, don't remember. I know I did on the .308. You will like the 6.5, still have to read the wind though but it makes it easier to beat it.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Rifle:
    Seekins Havak Bravo in 6.5CM (Had exactly 40 rounds of factory ammo through it prior to this)
    AAC 762SD Suppressor

Optic:
    NF ATACR 5-25 F1 Mil in Seekins 34mm Rings

Ammo:
    Hornady 140gr ELD-M
    H4350
    Virgin Lapua Brass expanded with a Sinclair expander mandrel
    CCI450
    2.810" COAL

Chronograph:
    Magnetospeed V3

Distance:
    300 yards

I started by shooting 1 round each at 38.3gr, 39.0gr, and 39.8gr. 38.3 was below the target, so I adjusted up. 39.0 was a dud. The primer did not ignite*. (This actually happened again at 41.7gr and 42.3gr) and 39.8gr which was on target but low. I didn't adjust the elevation or windage for any group except the 5 at 41.7gr. on top of target 2.

*I have been reloading for years in .223 with these exact primers, so I am sure the primers are not at fault. My guess is that I might have used my RCBS Ram Priming tool adjusted incorrectly and crushed the primer. Thoughts?

After those sighters, I shot groups of 3. I did not shoot in a round robin style. Here is the data.

Target 1. #4 corresponds with 40.6gr, #5 40.9gr, etc.

Target 2. Group 12 was 5 rounds of 41.7gr. Unfortunately, I had another misfire with this group, but it eventually fired on the second try (the other two did not) However, the velocity was about 25fps faster than other rounds in the group. My rifle was burning up and the line was about to go cold, so I rushed the group.)

Finally, I did not get any sticky bolt lift but what are your thoughts on the brass?

Thanks in advance for your help guys. I really like the 40.6 (Target #4) - 40.9 (Target #5) load from a SD and group size perspective, but it's about 50fps slower than I'd like. That corresponds to about 0.3 mil more drop at 800 yards based on my Calcs and of course more wind drift.

Feedback Score
    Between 41.4 and 41.7 gr looks like the node to work between. That’s a pretty descent start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Your 42.6 gr. load obviously shows minor ejector swipe and a touch of cratering in the FP indentation.
    Other than that, the primers look OK. I've run hotter.

It's not necessary to run the 6.5 balls to the wall IME.

Oh, did you disassemble and inspect bolt/FP? The sporadic failure to fire, with primers of known quality would have me concerned.
    You know with a certainty this will happen at the least opportune time.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I didn’t touch the bolt, and didn’t have any problems in factory ammo. I will disassemble and see what’s up.

I will try both 40.6-40.9 and 41.4-41.7.

I’m really liking that 1” group at 300 yards but maybe I can play with 41.5~ and get it smaller too.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thats knocking down some serious groups. 1 Inch at 300 yards is very nice, especially considering wind which comes into play at 300.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Thats knocking down some serious groups. 1 Inch at 300 yards is very nice, especially considering wind which comes into play at 300.

PB
    Thanks. I shot it again today out to 300 and worked up another ladder. I began at 42.6 and worked my way down to 39.8. (I left 40.0 at home by mistake)

I also grouped 4 rounds at 300. 1.410" at 300y.

I found out my issue with the primers too. I am used to loading SRPs in a .223 case which does not seat the primer as deeply as it does in a Lapua case. I wasn't seating the primers in deep enough. I had no failures after making this change.

I will probably dial this back to 41.5gr to be in the middle of my node. What do you guys think?

Why do the loudest do the least?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast