Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for DA/SA Guys

Feedback Score

Question for DA/SA Guys

All of my experience has been with the 1911 platform or the striker guns ( M&P 2.0 , PPQ , FN S etc ) .
    At a class a while back , Mike Pannone let me hold/dry fire his P07 that was set up by CGW . I`ve steered away from the DA/SA guns because of the long first pull . However , I decided to get one since Mike`s P07 felt good and I wanted to learn that trigger , so I picked up a CZ P01 a while back and had Cajun Gun Works set it up .

Love the gun ... fits me , easy to conceal , reliable and in SA mode , almost like my 1911`s . My problem is that I pull my first shot ( DA ) low and to the left a lot . I`ve experimented with grip , done lots of dry fire , but when I hit the range , the old DA monster gets me . Transition to the SA seems to be no problem , just the first shot.

You guys that use a DA/SA action have any suggestions or comments ? Yes, I`m know I`m asking for help on something you haven`t seen me shoot , but looking for possible areas to watch/work on .

Feedback Score

Question for DA/SA Guys

Dry firing helps a lot. I really like DA/SA autos. My favorite is the HK45. I have a CZ Shadow. It’s nice.

On the trigger. You shouldn’t transition your trigger finger. Use the same part of your finger that you use for SA.

It takes practice, but it becomes second nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Question for DA/SA Guys

Make sure you are adding sufficient counter pressure to the frame with the support grip and thumb.

Without seeing your trigger management in person it would be difficult to offer more than that.

Make sure you’re treating the DA pull as a constant smooth manner and not trying to stage it... if you want to provide more specifics I can help further.

Last edited by SamuelBLong; 05-23-19 at 17:08.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Dry firing helps a lot as dobe mentioned.

I disagree with using the same part of your finger as you use for SA, the DA shot is THE money shot in a self-defense situation. You need to position your finger so you can pull through the DA shot smoothly and surely, with no hesitation. Generally, just in front of the first crease.

Low left with the DA is often caused by the shooter attempting to stage the DA trigger, don't do that. If I'm watching a shooter using a DA, whether it be a revolver or pistol, one of the things I look at is whether the hammer moves at the same speed throughout the DA trigger stroke, it should.

Years ago, when we transitioned folks from revolvers to DA/SA pistols, we did a lot of two shot drills, working on the transition from the DA pull (which they were familiar with) to the SA pull. We taught trigger movement to reset for the SA press.

In recent years, on the occasions that folks transitioned from striker-fired pistols to DA/SA pistols the emphasis was on training the first shot, so a lot of one shot drills with a dummy second - for a ten round mag start with a dummy, load live and repeat, ending with a live on top. Fire the first DA shot, then the SA dummy, immediate action without firing, decock and repeat. We primarily worked from the holster on these drills.

Dry firing - you can use the coin on the slide thing (ETA: I'm not as big on that drill as many folks are because over the years I've done a lot of dryfiring sitting on my butt with the revolver/pistol held between my legs). Start slowly and focus on watching the hammer roll smoothly back until it falls forward. You want to think of the DA press as jumping off the bridge, once you've started the press the only thing that stops it is deciding not to fire or someone/something entering your sight picture. For that reason, I wouldn't pay much attention to sights/target at this point -you are working on retraining yourself the DA press. Speed the process up as you become proficient.

Hope this helps, good luck.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 05-23-19 at 16:53.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I think you’re going to find most top shooters, who use a DA/SA, will use the same part of the finger for both. It doesn’t take too long to get accustomed to the pull.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dobe View Post
    I think you’re going to find most top shooters, who use a DA/SA, will use the same part of the finger for both. It doesn’t take too long to get accustomed to the pull.

I don't argue with that statement. I also realize that most folks aren't firing 10,000+ rounds a year, so what a top shooter does may not transfer directly.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score

Question for DA/SA Guys

Can’t argue the logic. Yet it really doesn’t take that much time to learn correctly. As you said - the first shot is the money shot. Hooking the first joint, the method most people tend to use for the DA pull, will cause the shooter to pull the shot.

Jerry Miculek is perhaps the best DA shooter in the world. I realize we’re talking DA revolvers now, but for the DA pull of a DA/SA, it’s all the same.

Jerry is a phenomenal shot, and recommends anyone wanting to learn, start with the basics including trigger finger placement. That would be the pad of the index finger above the first joint.

OP, DA shooting is it’s own animal. If you master it, you will not notice the difference when shooting. It does take more work, but the rewards are there. If I remember correctly from your first post, this CZ has had a Cajun trigger job on it. If so, you are fortunate, and learning from this handgun should be easy.

Good luck

Last edited by dobe; 05-23-19 at 17:21.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    26Inf makes some great points I agree with. Many people will try and stage the first shot, DONT. I suggest you not slam it, but drives through it steady and fairly quickly. That is what I have found to work for me with my 229 Legion.

Best of luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuelBLong View Post
    Make sure you are adding sufficient counter pressure to the frame with the support grip and thumb.

Without seeing your trigger management in person it would be difficult to offer more than that.

Make sure you’re treating the DA pull as a constant smooth manner and not trying to stage it... if you want to provide more specifics I can help further.

I remember switching from 1911's to my M9..both in & out of service. I did the same as you. Bro- it just takes time..and dry fire and range time...absolute concentration on that first pull. As Sam said..counter pressure to the frame with support hand & thumb..
    The same happened in 2005 when I decided to go all Glock..for me, going from one learned weapon to another requires a complete re-learning & period of adjustment. You'll be fine.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    IMHO and I taught thru DA revolvers to DA/SA autos to striker fired autos, use a fifty round box of ammo just firing one round at a precise target. Start slow and work your way up in speed. Then use another box shooting two round drills.
    Do this for a few range sessions. Take something else to shoot if it gets boring.

With enough repetitions you may find you are more accurate with the DA round when a precise shot is called for.

DA/SA guns are under appreciated in the Everthing is a Glock Era

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast