Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $600 Colt LE6520

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I also grabbed a LE trade-in 6520 a couple years back, although I've not been able to establish what agency it came from. Most of the ones that hit the market seem to have cone from the Pennsylvania State Police, but the serial # on mine doesn't match up to the master list of PSP guns I have....however the list may not be complete.

The 6520s are great. Optics mounting capability is inferior to a flattop upper but it's doable. I personally shoot irons a lot still and often still use Irons-only ARs as jeep guns, so I use my 6520 sans optic anyway.

Another thing to be aware of is that a lot of (but not all) 6520s, even the LE ones, came from the factory with "neutered" BCGs, "screw" style front takedown pins, and oversized trigger pins, but I wouldn't let that dissuade you from getting one. In my case I happened to have a proper FA Colt carrier lying around when I got my 6520, so I simply swapped carriers, but I've never heard of any actual issues stemming from the neutered carriers themselves.
    A more annoying issue are that some 6520s came with "sear block" lower receivers which apparently preclude the use of a full auto BCG entirely.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldesire View Post
    Would anyone pay that for an abused PD Trade 6520? I'm leaning towards yes as this would mostly be for shits and giggles beater gun anyway. Probably a stupid question. I'm probably going to put a SOCOM upper on it some point.

Is there anything I should look out for on this model? We used to have this model at work and they seem pretty straight forward/bomb proof. I'm more of a "user" and though I know my way around most brands/ARs there is far more technical expertise on this board that know things that would likely go over my head.
    I wouldn't buy an "abused" anything. Well used, maybe, abused, never.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I wouldn't buy an "abused" anything. Well used, maybe, abused, never.
    +1. I wouldn’t either but most LE carbines are shot very little so it might be worth it. I bought my AR6520 new about a dozen years ago (only thing I didn’t like was the neutered BCG so I replaced it immediately with a BCM FA BCG). I never really warmed up to RDS, learned to shoot with an M16A1 so mine has become my go-to carbine for home defense. It just “feels right” when I shoulder it.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Buy it or don't buy it.

Personally, I wouldn't. $600 is only $100-150 away from an OEM1.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Buy it or don't buy it.

Personally, I wouldn't. $600 is only $100-150 away from an OEM1.
    If he's buying it with the intention of changing out a bunch of parts to upgrade and modernize it than I agree. Might as well get the OEM or a complete 6720/6920.

In my case I bought my 6520 specifically because I wanted an older, somewhat Retro Colt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12