Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Experiences with laser sights on a carry pistol

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They're useful for dryfire practice, that's about it IMHO.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prestonshooting View Post
    Not to be argumentative, but in a real-deal SD gun fight, 95% of the time you will be so close, all that matters is clearing the holster and getting the gun pointed at the target and getting shots off, sights are pretty much irrelevant in that kind of a situation. FWIW.
    It's a tad late for that. You started out argumentative, and in all caps no less...
    Last edited by WillBrink; 05-25-19 at 11:45.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prestonshooting View Post
    Not to be argumentative, but in a real-deal SD gun fight, 95% of the time you will be so close, all that matters is clearing the holster and getting the gun pointed at the target and getting shots off, sights are pretty much irrelevant in that kind of a situation. FWIW.
    This is would be hysterically funny, if it were not so sad.

Prestonshooting is a troll account for Reverend Paul McCain, a troublemaking whiner who has been banned here more times than anyone in the history of M4C. Let that sink in.

So a never been there, can't do that person is presuming to lecture a US Army Ranger with multiple combat deployments on how to win gunfights. Gotcha.

Paul, do you have any idea of the frequency and intensity of the combat the Ranger Regiment has engaged in over the last 18 years? If you did, you would drop to a knee and thank God that our nation has produced such men.

And just for your general font of knowledge, it's totally possible to use your sights and get hits in a gunfight. In the words of Ron White "I know, I've seen me do it."

The amount of derpitude in your posts in truly mind-boggling. You have no shame, no honor, and no respect for our country's warriors - both military and LEO. I would be delighted to personally introduce you to some of them.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Lasers are an excellent tool. I won’t carry a J frame without one and my beside the bed gun. Took some night training in shoot houses a few years back with Vickie’s and Hackathorn and quickly learned that lasers are a Godsend when the lights get low.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I have a laser on my G43, a TLR6. I bought it for the flashlight, as I believe guns should have lights. The laser is not highly visible outdoors past maybe 10 yards. It works well out to 25 yards in indoor ranges, and is a bit more precise than the iron sights. Like a RDS. Acquisition of the laser dot at ranges it is visible at is as fast and easy as a RDS for me.

Lasers certainly have drawbacks, such as needing to be activated and with visibility decreasing with range. I also have one on my G26, and don’t really like it in that application because the activation is a bit more clumsy. I don’t carry the G26, anyway.
    Thanks, that makes sense on the drawbacks; I would wonder how far the green laser would be visible in sunlight. So with or without laser, you prefer a WML? That's something I'm also trying to figure out, though a separate discussion.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Lasers are an excellent tool. I won’t carry a J frame without one and my beside the bed gun. Took some night training in shoot houses a few years back with Vickie’s and Hackathorn and quickly learned that lasers are a Godsend when the lights get low.
    Agreed, I have a Crimson Trace set on the Smith and Wesson 342 J-frame in my left pocket.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    At the time I was using lasers I hadn't shot a bunch with pistol mounted optics, so my primary complaint of spending time looking for the dot might be a component of that.

As in my other recent thread, I just upgraded my main carry pistols to the M&P M2.0 Compact 4", and the M2.0 Shield. I'm in my 50's and have 20/15 distance vision but have the same issue up close (presbyopia) that most do after 45, and that makes it hard to focus on my sights. This has two negative effects on shooting: it affects accuracy anywhere beyond a few yards, and even up close--especially in low light conditions--it reduces my ability to quickly get sights on target as I have to find the 'sweet spot' in my progressive glasses lens in order to line up the sights.

I'm 64 and 358 days old, I have the same problem. I shoot production class action pistol and use corrective lenses to see the sight, they leave the target fuzzy but my front sight sharp.

That being said for center mass hits on a torso 25 and in, my vision is just fine - the fuzz on the front sight does tend to make me a little high at 25 (I know, should work the other way, but that is what it works out to) think throat versus upper chest. Certainly good enough for the closer ranges of social distance.

My advice is to define for yourself the parameters of your vision as you normally roll.
    Good input, makes me wonder if it's better to 'adapt' and train for the changed vision versus getting another 'tool' like a laser that has downsides too, like having to be activated, running out of battery, limited visibility at distance. That's worth thinking through.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Do you use integrated light or handheld?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    But who you gonna listen to, those hacks or some troll? Tough choice that.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Agreed, I have a Crimson Trace set on the Smith and Wesson 342 J-frame in my left pocket.
    Yes of the ones I tried at range, CT seemed the best overall, they were easiest for me to activate and visibility was good.

Also I see on Vicker's night sights page he endorses CT specifically, good to know.
    Last edited by maximus83; 05-25-19 at 12:20. Reason: add link

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast