Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Experiences with laser sights on a carry pistol

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Experiences with laser sights on a carry pistol

As in my other recent thread, I just upgraded my main carry pistols to the M&P M2.0 Compact 4", and the M2.0 Shield. I'm in my 50's and have 20/15 distance vision but have the same issue up close (presbyopia) that most do after 45, and that makes it hard to focus on my sights. This has two negative effects on shooting: it affects accuracy anywhere beyond a few yards, and even up close--especially in low light conditions--it reduces my ability to quickly get sights on target as I have to find the 'sweet spot' in my progressive glasses lens in order to line up the sights.

I researched options (RDS and laser sights) and tried out a couple of the rental pistols at my range that had an RDS or integrated laser sight pre-installed. I wish there had been a few more of the recent RDS to try, but long story short, I liked the laser sight option slightly better. The one I got best results with so far was the CT green laser, which has integrated versions for a lot of pistols including the M&P M2's.

A few questions for folks who have used a laser specifically on a carry pistol (not on rifles or any other non-CCW applications):
    * What were the main upsides, and downsides, that you found with using a laser sight on a carry pistol?
    * In the end, after getting your laser zeroed and training with it, did it help? Were you able to be more accurate and get on target faster?
    * What laser sight did you prefer, and why?
    * What option did you use for a light? For instance, a integrated light/laser combo, handheld light, etc?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    * What were the main upsides, and downsides, that you found with using a laser sight on a carry pistol?
    I can't answer that question since I've never carried a pistol that was equipped with a laser, but I with what I carry now I wouldn't want a laser. I'm currently carrying a CZ RAMI. Before that I carried a G23. I ended up buying a laser/light combo and felt that it was too bulky for CC. The main upsides for me were trigger control training. The obvious upside is that you can aim without looking down the sights.

* In the end, after getting your laser zeroed and training with it, did it help? Were you able to be more accurate and get on target faster?
    It did help, but not the way I thought it would. Dry fire practice with the laser really opened my eyes to how much I needed to focus on grip and the pressing of the trigger. Helped tremendously.

* What laser sight did you prefer, and why?
    The only laser I've used was a "Streamlight TLR-2s". I chose it for the price point compared with other brands and the pretty good reputation they have.

* What option did you use for a light? For instance, a integrated light/laser combo, handheld light, etc?
    Streamlight TLR-2s, at the time, had very good light output. The laser feature of the combo held zero very well. I set it once and it held zero for years.

I am going to purchase a Sig P365 and will be carrying that with a Laser, the Lima Green. The LIMA is the same width of the P365 and that's one of the reasons I would give it a chance as a carry attachment. Comfort is a big factor for me for EDC guns.

Feedback Score
    Here's the thing people....and please pay attention.

The overwhelming vast majority of situations where you have to use your EDC will require you to put a shot on target immediately. No time for sights, no time for "lazer beam" or "red dot sights" nothing. Train like you will fight.

Seven feet, three seconds.

Work on that from the draw wherever you train/practice.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I have a laser on my G43, a TLR6. I bought it for the flashlight, as I believe guns should have lights. The laser is not highly visible outdoors past maybe 10 yards. It works well out to 25 yards in indoor ranges, and is a bit more precise than the iron sights. Like a RDS. Acquisition of the laser dot at ranges it is visible at is as fast and easy as a RDS for me.

Lasers certainly have drawbacks, such as needing to be activated and with visibility decreasing with range. I also have one on my G26, and don’t really like it in that application because the activation is a bit more clumsy. I don’t carry the G26, anyway.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I have a laser on my G43, a TLR6. I bought it for the flashlight, as I believe guns should have lights. The laser is not highly visible outdoors past maybe 10 yards. It works well out to 25 yards in indoor ranges, and is a bit more precise than the iron sights. Like a RDS. Acquisition of the laser dot at ranges it is visible at is as fast and easy as a RDS for me.

Lasers certainly have drawbacks, such as needing to be activated and with visibility decreasing with range. I also have one on my G26, and don’t really like it in that application because the activation is a bit more clumsy. I don’t carry the G26, anyway.
    Let me be more blunt:

USING A LASER SIGHT ON A EDC IS STUPID...Learn to point shoot from the draw, immediately rotate the handgun front and practice getting rounds in center mass.....
    Last edited by Prestonshooting; 05-24-19 at 19:13.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Nevermind
    Last edited by 1168; 05-31-19 at 04:09. Reason: Douchy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    As in my other recent thread, I just upgraded my main carry pistols to the M&P M2.0 Compact 4", and the M2.0 Shield. I'm in my 50's and have 20/15 distance vision but have the same issue up close (presbyopia) that most do after 45, and that makes it hard to focus on my sights. This has two negative effects on shooting: it affects accuracy anywhere beyond a few yards, and even up close--especially in low light conditions--it reduces my ability to quickly get sights on target as I have to find the 'sweet spot' in my progressive glasses lens in order to line up the sights.

I'm 64 and 358 days old, I have the same problem. I shoot production class action pistol and use corrective lenses to see the sight, they leave the target fuzzy but my front sight sharp.

That being said for center mass hits on a torso 25 and in, my vision is just fine - the fuzz on the front sight does tend to make me a little high at 25 (I know, should work the other way, but that is what it works out to) think throat versus upper chest. Certainly good enough for the closer ranges of social distance.

My advice is to define for yourself the parameters of your vision as you normally roll.

I researched options (RDS and laser sights) and tried out a couple of the rental pistols at my range that had an RDS or integrated laser sight pre-installed. I wish there had been a few more of the recent RDS to try, but long story short, I liked the laser sight option slightly better. The one I got best results with so far was the CT green laser, which has integrated versions for a lot of pistols including the M&P M2's.

A few questions for folks who have used a laser specifically on a carry pistol (not on rifles or any other non-CCW applications):

I've primarily used lasers at night in LE night shoot training using white light to ID the target. My feeling is that I spend time looking for the dot on target whereas I'd already be shooting without the laser. I've used both guide rod lasers in Glocks (I believe Laser Max) and the TLR-2 also a crimson trace equipped S&W 340.

You may find the guide rod lasers useful for carry, I didn't largely because during daylight I felt I spent more time looking for the dot than I would of looking through the sights and pressing. At night, I felt the biggest disadvantage of this laser was the ability to engage a target w/o positive identification. You can easily sort out turning the guide rod laser off and on, that isn't the issue that some folks make it to be.

At the time I was using lasers I hadn't shot a bunch with pistol mounted optics, so my primary complaint of spending time looking for the dot might be a component of that.

I don't feel I have enough recent experience to address anything else.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Prestonshooting View Post
    Here's the thing people....and please pay attention.

The overwhelming vast majority of situations where you have to use your EDC will require you to put a shot on target immediately. No time for sights, no time for "lazer beam" or "red dot sights" nothing. Train like you will fight.

Seven feet, three seconds.

Work on that from the draw wherever you train/practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prestonshooting View Post
    Let me be more blunt:

USING A LASER SIGHT ON A EDC IS STUPID...Learn to point shoot from the draw, immediately rotate the handgun front and practice getting rounds in center mass.....

I use an X400UH-GN with a DG switch on my handguns these days; started out with the X400 from the very beginning of my pistol shooting, and just slowly progressed. I also have a handheld light that I EDC, but that's honestly more of utility light. My laser is co-witnessed with my RDS for POA/POI at 25 yards with my carry ammo.

IME, the laser can be useful in unorthodox positions, where your index is weaker, to either be used as a sighting method, or to help find the dot on the RDS. It can also be useful for shooting on the move, as you can lose the dot due to the small window during more rapid movement; an RDS is definitely better than irons in that respect, but IME a laser can be even better. I also think the laser can be faster, simply due to the fact that you get feedback sooner in the presentation, and you can get on the trigger faster. Probably very niche, and not great for precise targets, but for close range CoM shots, it can help, at least IME in USPSA. During some stages, I am able to start with the laser, but switch to the RDS as I transition from target to target and catch the dot during that. There is also my theory that you might be able to use it for aiming during retention shooting, although I'm not sure most of us are fast enough to use that information properly in such a scenario.

Only downsides I really see are cost and possible holster issues.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    What 26INF said and I'll add:

-I think they can be a good training tool

-Hollywood likes them for dramatic effect

-Rappers really like them, too.

After checking them out a couple times I have zero interest in them.

Feedback Score
    Not to be argumentative, but in a real-deal SD gun fight, 95% of the time you will be so close, all that matters is clearing the holster and getting the gun pointed at the target and getting shots off, sights are pretty much irrelevant in that kind of a situation. FWIW.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast