Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Experiences with laser sights on a carry pistol

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Thanks, that makes sense on the drawbacks; I would wonder how far the green laser would be visible in sunlight. So with or without laser, you prefer a WML? That's something I'm also trying to figure out, though a separate discussion.
    I’ve never tried a green laser, so I can’t give any input on that. I absolutely prefer a WML, and have them on my G43, G19 RMR, and G19 (chopped grip) that I carry regularly. Bad things have a tendency to occur in low light.

The G19s do not have lasers. I feel that visible lasers are more valuable on small pistols. Like I said earlier, I have a TLR with laser on my G26, but I don’t really like it on that gun. It doesn’t get carried, and the only reason I keep it around is for a grip chop template.

I do sometimes carry a G42 with no light, when I have no choice but to carry a tiny gun. Its a good practice to also carry a handheld light, with or without a WML.

Sorry if this post seems disorganized.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    "Do you use integrated light or handheld?"

On my beside the bed gun I have a X400 with DG switch.Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

With my pocket gun I carry a Surefire Tactician or a streamlight 1L depending on how crowded my pockets are

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

Ignore the fancy watch and pocket knife. I actually created that picture to annoy the moderators of a watch forum that has an anti-gun slant.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    "Do you use integrated light or handheld?"

On my beside the bed gun I have a X400 with DG switch.Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

With my pocket gun I carry a Surefire Tactician or a streamlight 1L depending on how crowded my pockets are

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr
    Thanks for the pics, also that's a nice looking holster for your J-Frame. If I get the integrated CT laser that I tried at the range and am leading towards, I haven't decided on the best solution for a light yet. They do offer a laser with an integrated light (called "Laserguard Pro"), but I've seen mixed reviews on the light component of those, and the light output doesn't look as good. So I will probably stick with my current handheld light for carry purposes, with the Shield.
    Last edited by maximus83; 05-25-19 at 14:18. Reason: fix laserguard link

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Lasers are an excellent tool. I won’t carry a J frame without one and my beside the bed gun. Took some night training in shoot houses a few years back with Vickie’s and Hackathorn and quickly learned that lasers are a Godsend when the lights get low.
    Not wanting to get Prestonshooter or 1168 argumentive but one of the problems with low-light/no-light engagements is identifying your target as a shoot target.

That doesn't necessarily discount the laser, but if you can see well-enough to ID the target w/o a light source, you can generally see good enough to shoot.

I feel that for many folks (not saying you) tools such as night sights and lasers could give the untrained/less-cerebral user the ability to engage shadows and blobs they are not sure of.

I say this as a guy who has caught a couple sim rounds in the dark.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Regarding the green laser: I had one on one of my j-frames for a year or so. Very bright, definitely daylight visible, but it came at a cost, both $$ and batteries (took like 4 watch batteries and the grip was too long). Ended up selling the gun and laser separately, but it did work. I still have a 642 with LG405 grips (compact grip, red laser, some cushioning on backstrap) in my pocket right now.

My philosophy is this: lasers do not replace sights by any means. They supplement firearms and your training in situations where traditional sighting is inefficient or problematic. Low light and unconventional or disadvantaged positions are potential scenarios, as is working with a ballistic shield (about the only time I prefer a weapon light/laser combo on a full size gun, but that's just me). I don't shoot under IR anymore and haven't for several years, so I won't comment on that aspect.

I also think they're useful on guns that have poor sights/options. Lots of small .380s and the aforementioned j-frames come to mind. Can you/should you be able to shoot those guns at respectable ranges with conventional sights? Definitely, and we've all seen Jerry Miculek take it to the extreme. But, if you're competent and confident already, there's no reason to not take advantage of technology if the situations above are likely.

Oh, and that nonsense about not seeing your sights? Begone with that foolishness. Up there with the middle finger assassin trigger press.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Ignore the fancy watch and pocket knife. I actually created that picture to annoy the moderators of a watch forum that has an anti-gun slant.
    This pleases me.

Is that a pocket holster? What brand?
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Not wanting to get Prestonshooter or 1168 argumentive but one of the problems with low-light/no-light engagements is identifying your target as a shoot target.

That doesn't necessarily discount the laser, but if you can see well-enough to ID the target w/o a light source, you can generally see good enough to shoot.

I feel that for many folks (not saying you) tools such as night sights and lasers could give the untrained/less-cerebral user the ability to engage shadows and blobs they are not sure of.

I say this as a guy who has caught a couple sim rounds in the dark.
    I agree, which is why I advocate flashlights and WMLs. The only lasers I have activate the light simultaneously, which is also how I had the red laser setup on my LA-5 at work. I personally know of cases where targets were killed that could have not been killed. So I feel that lights are pretty important.

Would you believe that we have police agencies in my area that don’t ALLOW WMLs?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    "That doesn't necessarily discount the laser, but if you can see well-enough to ID the target w/o a light source, you can generally see good enough to shoot."

Oh you can make it work, you will just never be as fast and accurate as you will with a laser. You can make a carbine work in low light, but you are better and faster with a red dot (or a laser). But yeah, if you just slap on a laser and think you are John Wick then yes, you are heading for trouble. But that can be said of everything about guns.

I also agree that if you can get a light involved you are way better off. My beside the bed gun has both and when it isn't hot as hell I often carry guns like M&P shields with lasers and lights integrated.

Here is the holster
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...rry-s-holsters
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Would you believe that we have police agencies in my area that don’t ALLOW WMLs?
    Oh, yes.

Back in the 70's one of our larger agencies wouldn't allow speed loaders because the Chief thought they didn't look as nice as dump pouches on the duty belt.

The WML thing often has the logic that some officers would use the WML as a flashlight to do things like write citations or search cars. Unfortunately it is true that some officers aren't cerebral enough to have WML's. Easier to make a rule that disadvantages all than to go through the work of ferreting those folks out.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Oh, yes.

The WML thing often has the logic that some officers would use the WML as a flashlight to do things like write citations or search cars. Unfortunately it is true that some officers aren't cerebral enough to have WML's. Easier to make a rule that disadvantages all than to go through the work of ferreting those folks out.
    That is exactly the reasoning given.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast