Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: They drilled to far on the pin and weld job.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    None of us were there. None of us have any idea what happened. As a technician with over three decades of training and experience, I will tell you the only person who never makes a mistake is the one who never does anything. The mistake could be the result of something as simple as a brain fart. It could been cause by fatigue, distraction, complacency or the brain misplacing a decimal point. It could have been cause incompetence, but the mistake doesn't mean incompetence is the cause. Armorers, machinists, mechanics and other craftsmen work hard at their trade to get it right every time and when we don't, it hurts our pride. No one is harder on us about our mistakes than we ourselves are. When a mistake is made, we analyze what happens and take steps to prevent it from happening in the first place. There are exceptions, but most people take pride in what they do and strive to give the customer a good product.

I thought we had more respect for ourselves than be so quick to judge someone who isn't even here to defend their self, with so few facts and before giving them a chance to respond to the problem.
    As far as the last statement, is this your first day on the forums?

I agree totally with what you are saying, the problem I have is no disclosure - I thought the same as several others, that the guy doing the pin and weld didn't want to get in trouble. If he did the Q&C on the project as well, the argument then is about the companies internal practices.

I had a slide off for work at a pretty well-known shop. I get a call from the guy one day saying that the only charge was for the sights as he had violated one of his own rules and allowing folks in the machine room and was BS'ing with a buddy as he milled the dovetail. The result was that he milled the wrong dovetail - IIRC a Novak cut for a Heinie rear. He explained how he had safely welded the the dovetail and then milled the proper dovetail.

When I received the slide, I closely examined it (without removing the sight) and I couldn't tell what had been done. So, the guy hadn't needed to tell on himself and could have charged me full price with me still being very happy. For that reason I have sent other work his way without hesitation.

That, IMO, is the way this should have been handled, unless, as mentioned, the person doing the work didn't disclose the error to management.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I agree totally with what you are saying, the problem I have is no disclosure - I thought the same as several others, that the guy doing the pin and weld didn't want to get in trouble.
    That may be true. But if we handle the discussion of such in an unprofessional manner and with rancor, we're no better.

I've been putting up with the same type of hyper-critical bullying at work from a couple of guys and the last two weeks have been particularly trying.

I'm heading down to the basement to see if there's a project that can be worked by hitting it repeatedly with a large hammer.

Nothing personal.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-25-19 at 16:23.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been putting up with the same type of hyper-critical bullying at work from a couple of guys and the last two weeks have been particularly trying.

Nothing personal.
    Not taken as such.

I got some problems. also.

I know how to get to Utah, could you make a trip to Kansas with a shovel and some quik-lime while I'm on 'vacation' in Utah?

JUST KIDDING pretty sure my problem is leaving town soon, daughters sometimes make poor choices kind of deal.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would be pissed if I was you.

2 of my PSA builds cycle flawlessly after I threw out the bad charging handle. So for a $1600 rifle I would demand a reasonable fit and tolerances in the gun. That's what the extra money is supposed to go to: testing and inspecting the new build.

The fact that the rifle was a go-back and they didnt really solve the chief complaint is bad. Drilling through the barrel during the pin and weld is a absolute no-go for me. I would probably be asking for a full refund and find a new assembler. I know it sounds a little harsh but alot of other builders dont take 3 trys.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I would be pissed if I was you.

2 of my PSA builds cycle flawlessly after I threw out the bad charging handle. So for a $1600 rifle I would demand a reasonable fit and tolerances in the gun. That's what the extra money is supposed to go to: testing and inspecting the new build.

The fact that the rifle was a go-back and they didnt really solve the chief complaint is bad. Drilling through the barrel during the pin and weld is a absolute no-go for me. I would probably be asking for a full refund and find a new assembler. I know it sounds a little harsh but alot of other builders dont take 3 trys.
    The fact that the gun was so expensive is why it even went back the first time, I figured I would get some guys bashing me for saying I sent it back due to a ''gritty action''. Gritty was putting it lightly, but I could understand it... if it were a cheap gun. I agree with you 100%, obviously. If I'm paying kac, noveske, larue, lwrc, etc. Prices, I expect it to be a step or 10 above Anderson, psa, aero, etc.. Again, I really appreciate the positive feedback from everyone.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    None of us were there. None of us have any idea what happened. As a technician with over three decades of training and experience, I will tell you the only person who never makes a mistake is the one who never does anything. The mistake could be the result of something as simple as a brain fart. It could been cause by fatigue, distraction, complacency or the brain misplacing a decimal point. It could have been cause incompetence, but the mistake doesn't mean incompetence is the cause. Armorers, machinists, mechanics and other craftsmen work hard at their trade to get it right every time and when we don't, it hurts our pride. No one is harder on us about our mistakes than we ourselves are. When a mistake is made, we analyze what happens and take steps to prevent it from happening in the first place. There are exceptions, but most people take pride in what they do and strive to give the customer a good product.

I thought we had more respect for ourselves than be so quick to judge someone who isn't even here to defend their self, with so few facts and before giving them a chance to respond to the problem.
    People make mistakes. I think the point is that a quality company would go out of their way to make sure that it’s not the customer that discovers them. It’s fundamental IMHO that this barrel should have been inspected somewhere along the line between the technician that drilled it and the rifle being picked up by the customer. I can understand the technician screwing up the barrel. I can’t understand him not inspecting his work after doing the job.
    Last edited by Hmac; 05-25-19 at 19:22.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I’d never buy a rifle from that company again. Idgaf who it was. That is bad.
    Same. I dont care if you "make it right" afterwards, if you make dumbass mistakes on potentially life saving gear then you deserve to get your shit pushed in.

What do you think happened when I made the "indestructible" reliabolt fail? I dont care what their excuse is, "bad heat blah blah blah" IDGF, I will never buy your bolt again and will tell others to never buy your bolt. Sorry, your job should be on the line when making potential life saving gear.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 05-25-19 at 19:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ak15 View Post
    I wish it was, bud. It is at the 6 o'clock position and directly corresponds with the pin. It is a pretty big hole. I wish I knew how to post pictures.

Attachment 57428
    Wow, I'm no gunsmith, and even I would have spotted that like a sore thumb. Damn.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    This botched job is completely unacceptable.
    Mistakes happen, but anyone in a machine or fab shop knows to measure twice, cut once.
    This did not happen, nor did the technician check his/her work.
    Ive pinned and welded a few devices. You have to drill damn far to punch into the bore.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Pretty sure the forum rules require him to contact the company and let them make it right first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did you see the pic? Pure retardation like this should be exempted

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast