Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lancer L5 magazine long term review

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lancer L5 magazine long term review

I posted this on TOS in a thread asking about translucent magazine durability:

I started shooting competition in 2008, semi-sponsored by an OEM manufacturer (I was given some parts and accessories to use, and some range fees paid). I was first using PMAGS that I was given for free. After a number of cycles loading the magazines on a closed bolt, the feedlips and spines began to crack. Magpul replaced the magazines for free, but I lost faith in them. The only PMAGS I currently own have never been used and came with rifles I purchased as OEM magazines. I never had a PMAG crack catastrophically, and cause a malfunction that I can remember, it was a gradual crack that would get bigger with use. I was able to replace them before they broke totally. I do remember dropping some cracking spine PMAGS that were partially loaded during speed reloads, and the rounds ejected from the top of the mag when the mag hit the deck. I had another fellow shooter experience the same cracking issues with PMAGS.

To be completely fair, Magpul customer service was great (can't remember the name of the guy that always helped us), and sent out replacement mags quickly. I have a suspicion that the over-insertion tabs on the Gen3 PMAGS were at least partially implemented to reduce the splitting spines and cracked feedlips. However, the over-insertion tabs now interfere with many lowers and trigger guards, causing an under-insertion problem. However, this opinion about the over-insertion tab can not be substantiated since I have no direct knowledge of the design process and I don't believe Magpul would ever admit this publicly, as it would be an admission of a problem that wasn't part of their "philosophy."

I found the Lancer L5 as a possible solution and liked the steel insert for the feedlips. I purchased 5 of them at first with my own money at a slight discount (I think it was 25% off MSRP). The translucency was a novelty at first, but:

The translucency allowed me to get the visual information I needed instantly, which was, is the mag FULL or NOT FULL. I didn't care about exact or even approx round count. If the mag was full, it was ready for use. If it was not full, it was not ready for use.

If it had been outside of competition, and in a real emergency situation like combat, I would think the same way about the ability to view capacity. If I see a mag on the ground 15 feet away I want to know RIGHT NOW if there are rounds in the mag or not. I think that a totally translucent mag body allows this much better than a skinny window with a blob of paint on the spring. What if the angle I view the mag from doesn't allow me to see in the window? What if the window is partially obscured with dirt, dust, or blood? What if I am too far away to see the paint blob, or my eyewear is partially obscured? Having a completely translucent magazine body reduces these problems greatly, and extends the effective range this visual information can be useful. In my opinion, the windowed PMAGS are a complete waste with no appreciable advantage over a completely opaque magazine. If you have time to pick up the magazine and examine the window, looking for the small paint blob, you have time to press down on the rounds to see how full or empty the mag is.

Here are some photos of 2 of my original 5 Smoke translucent Lancer magazines. These are L5 with Gen 1 green followers purchased in summer 2008. They are date stamped 3/08. I used 5 of these magazines (the other three are in storage currently so no pics of them) in competition. I would make sure all five were loaded the night before the competition. RR1 and RR2 would then go onto my belt.

I estimate 8k rounds between the 5 magazines based on ammo purchases. 8000/5=1600 rds per magazine. 1600/30=53+ cycles. RR1 and RR2 probably had half or more of the total rounds, and RR1 probably had 75% of that half, but since I didn't keep a record, we'll just assume at least 53 fully loaded cycles (most likely closer to 100+ cycles for RR1 though).

These two pictured mags were the primary mags I used in competition and practice, RR1 and RR2, so they have more rounds through them than the other mags (RR3, RR4, RR5 not pictured), but we'll just use these numbers above as approximate. RR1 magazine most likely has the most use out of all the original five since it was first into a rifle, then RR2 was loaded during moving to the next shooting position. I did buy other ammo in person, but in smaller quantities. The 8k figure comes from online purchases that I could easily track.

Lowers used were primarily Noveske and Colt, with various upper ranging from Noveske, Colt, CMMG, Sabre Defense, White Oak Armory, and various others assembled by me with parts from numerous manufacturers.

I use CLP almost exclusively for cleaning and lube, which often seeps into the magazines. I believe these gen 1 L5 magazines had a warning on them to keep away from DEET, but the newer revisions have remedied their sensitivity to chemicals like DEET

They have been dropped while empty, while loaded, and while partially loaded dozens of times. Almost always loaded on a closed bolt, into a rifle. They were subjected to temperatures ranging from 50F to over 150F inside my vehicle, numerous times.

The only blemishes I could find are a slight deformation of the magazine release tab, a minute amount of material missing from the front of the interior of the magazine from the cartridge contacting the magazine on occasion, and a very small dent in the front of one of the feedlips.

The finish on the steel feedlips is still intact except on the very high spots and edges. There are no cracks in the feedlips or on the spine of the magazine body. The feedlips are not spread apart, and remain solidly attached to the polymer portion of the magazine with no movement between the two. . There are no cracks in the magazine body, or signs of degradation of the plastic. The plastic body has not discolored or yellowed in any way.

I've never had a magazine induced malfunction while using a Lancer L5 or AWM magazine. All of the malfunctions I experienced were ammo related or dirty chamber related (extraction or ejection). Ammo used was Fed XM193, PMC Bronze, Wolf Black box, and some other small quantities of ZQI, Tula, etc.

I've never disassembled or cleaned any of the magazines apart from wiping the outsides, and all were dropped many times into dusty sand.
    All parts including springs are factory original and have never been replaced.

After use they are stored loaded at the capacity they were left in after shooting, then before using again I will top them off.

TLDR; PMAGS cracked so I bought Lancers, which have lasted thousands of rounds with zero problems.

20151031_094803 by azoutdoorsman, on Flickr

20151031_094819 by azoutdoorsman, on Flickr

20151031_094837 by azoutdoorsman, on Flickr

20151031_094856 by azoutdoorsman, on Flickr

20151031_094920 by azoutdoorsman, on Flickr

20151031_094936 by azoutdoorsman, on Flickr

20151031_094957 by azoutdoorsman, on Flickr

I don't know what Lancer's philosophy is, nor do I care. They make a durable, reliable magazine that has not cracked or broken after rough treatment, which is what I care about. That is more than I can say for other opaque polymer magazines that I have used.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Those are the original Lancers, not the AWMs correct?

I never cracked a Pmag, but I had a set of 12 RevMs that had about as many miles (each) as your Lancers and they started to give me problems like not dropping free, and a few random 'mystery malfs' that were worked through and not diagnosed. Never did crack one though. They held up well considering the use they had on 'em.

I just went back to legit g.i. mags about the same time Rob_S did and I haven't had a mag problem since....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    Those are the original Lancers, not the AWMs correct?

I never cracked a Pmag, but I had a set of 12 RevMs that had about as many miles (each) as your Lancers and they started to give me problems like not dropping free, and a few random 'mystery malfs' that were worked through and not diagnosed. Never did crack one though. They held up well considering the use they had on 'em.

I just went back to legit g.i. mags about the same time Rob_S did and I haven't had a mag problem since....
    Yes, gen 1 Lancer L5 mags. AWM mags have a raised texture and can be had in opaque or translucent varieties.

I also like GI mags, but if they are dropped enough dents in the body and especially feedlips can affect reliability.
    Last edited by azoutdoorsman; 10-31-15 at 11:20.

Feedback Score
    Good feedback -- thanks for posting. I bought a loadout of translucent L5 AWM Lancers last year and relegated my Pmags and Battlemags to training duty. I am very pleased with them as well.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Your excellent post and detailed feedback are very much appreciated.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    It's awesome how many details you included in this thread.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for posting this. It makes me feel good that the majority of my magazine stockpile is made up of 30rd smoke AWMs.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have had some awesome luck with the AWMs. I will buy them and them alone as long as it's practical for me to do so.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I got the Gen 1 Lancers myself when they first came out and they have worked 100%, no malfunctions or cracks. Same with the AWMs. I've used and abused mulitple PMAGs for years and only see one crack, and that is near the baseplate. I still prefer PMAGs and Lancers over USGI but USGI with Magpul followers have been GTG as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    Thanks for posting this. It makes me feel good that the majority of my magazine stockpile is made up of 30rd smoke AWMs.
    I bought a bunch of AWM magazines but have never opened the packaging except on one to examine it. I can't break the L5s, so no need to try the AWMs yet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast