Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Range report: Hodge barrel with LMT Enhanced BCG *UPDATE page 7*

Feedback Score

Range report: Hodge barrel with LMT Enhanced BCG *UPDATE page 7*

I did not end up playing with different buffer weights. Used a stock carbine spring with an H2 buffer. Hodge 14.5" mid-length gas with a purported 0.74"-0.75" port size (made a little tighter for use with M855A1). Brand new LMT Enhanced BCG. I was wondering if, given the "tighter" Hodge gas port, and using an LMT EBCG, there would be function/cycling issues.

Fired 40 rounds of M855A1, 20 rounds of Mk318, and 20 rounds of IMI Razor 77gr 5.56.

My concerns were first and foremost function, i.e would it cycle properly, and secondarily lock-back on an empty mag. I fired essentially 3 rounds at a time so had 13 chances for lock-back on the M855A1, and 6 chances each with the Mk318 and IMI Razor.

M855A1: failed to lock-back twice out of 13 chances.

Mk318: failed to lock-back 3 out of 6 times. [Evidently the "weakest" of the three rounds, yet it shot higher.....see below]

IMI 77gr Razor: locked back 6 out of 6 times. [Statistically "stronger" recoil impulse than the M855A1, also surprising]

There ZERO failures to cycle of any kind (FTF, FTE, etc.). All 80 rounds shot and cycled fine.

I zeroed irons and EOTech with the M855A1 using a 50yd IBSZ (POA/POI at 50yds). The Mk318 shot a c-hair high at 50 (surprising), while the IMI 77gr Razor was an exact match for the M855A1 zero at that range.

This was a pretty warm day but I was in the shade with a slight breeze blowing. Would it function as well in a much colder environment? I have my doubts, but next winter I'll give it a whirl and if I do run into issues I'll try dropping buffer weight at that time.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 10-13-19 at 18:40.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Interesting experiment. Would you mind running it again with a regular BCG?

That IMI stuff must be hot as $h1+.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    So, are you satisfied and if not, what is your next step? I like 1168's suggestion.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I thought "weaker" rounds were supposed to shoot higher. Based on what I've read, because it takes fractionally longer for the round to leave the muzzle, the barrel will be pointed fractionally higher due to muzzle rise.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I've got 3 of these barrels

2x will feed everything and lock back when using a standard BCG, A5H2 buffer and Springco Green using - 77gr BH reman 223, 77gr BH red box 5.56, 62gr TSX BH, MEN 56gr, Win 62gr OTM

Just finished the last one and went standard Carbine buffer system for a change. H with Blue Springco and it wouldn't cycle the Win OTM on its intial outting. Looks like that will receive the A5 treatment as well.

ETA: Just found out the "milspec" buffer tube from may (partially) be to blame; it's about 1/8-3/16" too shallow and does not appear to allow the bolt the same complete rearward travel as a BCM A5, Vltor A5, or any of the other milspec carbine receiver extensions I have.

ETA 5/26/19: 50% failure to pick up next round with A5H2. Runs like a champ with intended "H" and milspec carbine spring in DD lower. Fed Swiss 223, Win OTM, German MEN and Black Hills. Passed limp-wrist pistol test and spat out brass at 3:30 6 feet out. Must've had the original, smaller gas port spec (Roy @ WeapOutfitters had talked about differences in gas port spec).
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 05-26-19 at 19:12.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post

2x will feed everything and lock back when using a standard BCG, A5H2 buffer and Springco Green using - 77gr BH reman 223, 77gr BH red box 5.56, 62gr TSX BH, MEN 56gr, Win 62gr OTM

Just finished the last one and went standard Carbine buffer system for a change. H with Blue Springco and it wouldn't cycle the Win OTM on its intial outting. Looks like that will receive the A5 treatment as well.
    Copy that, A5 may be the perfect remedy.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    My question... Where are you finding M855A1? Only thing I am seeing is fairly small quantities at ridiculous prices.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Have you measured the ports on those barrels?
    There may be two sizes.

Also, isn't the win OTM quite hot?

Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Have you measured the ports on those barrels?
    There may be two sizes.

Also, isn't the win OTM quite hot?
    It's fairly warm...

Can't remember if I measured this last one or not. The other 2 were 0.74-0.75 and they both work decent 223 shooting like a pistol limp wrist style to see if they've got sufficient juice to cycle.

First thing that's going to happen is this upper is getting shot on an A5 outfitted lower before I start pulling parts and bring a milspec carbine spring as that how its supposed to go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    My question... Where are you finding M855A1? Only thing I am seeing is fairly small quantities at ridiculous prices.
    I bought some at a gun show about a year ago and yes, it was ridiculous (like $2 per round).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast