Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FN alloy steel barrel

Feedback Score

FN alloy steel barrel

Does anyone know what the difference is with a "alloy" barrel? I see FN has a patrol carbine with a alloy barrel. I have google the crap out of it can came up with nothing. I even tried the search on here. Rifle in question is this.

https://fnamerica.com/products/fn-15...atrol-carbine/

Feedback Score
    It is just probably clumsy wording for your standard 4150 CMV chrome lined barrel. FN makes great barrels and I would buy with confidence.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crusader377 View Post
    It is just probably clumsy wording for your standard 4150 CMV chrome lined barrel. FN makes great barrels and I would buy with confidence.
    They specifically state is is different alloy than the standard FN 15 which i assume is 4150 CMV. Maybe it is a different amount of vanduim(sp) in the CMV 4150 barrel. I know they do make barrels for Hodge with a different alloy, maybe they licensed off of him for this one? Or is the milspec steel a different version of 4150 CMV... Mil-B-11595E

Feedback Score
    see the confusion i had everyready? google did not help as it got flooded with crap unrelated.

Crusader, it is already ordered and decided to research it while i wait for it. it was a great price.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    see the confusion i had everyready? google did not help as it got flooded with crap unrelated.

Crusader, it is already ordered and decided to research it while i wait for it. it was a great price.
    They are not very clear about it and dont provide much info

Best bet might be an email/call to FN

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It's definitely a different Alloy.

It says, on that page:

16″ button broached chrome-lined barrel

Semi-automatic only
    Under the barrel length details.

So, either, they are using a weaker Alloy that can't stand up to Full Auto use, or whoever is doing FN's listings is doing a horrible job at it and mixing up concepts all over the place.

It wouldn't surprise me, since they have Select Fire options in the line up for LEO, that it means it is not select fire, but it's really not clear.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 04-15-20 at 10:05.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It looks like the "semi-automatic only" might be in reference to its operation. But as you said, whoever wrote that didn't did a great job.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AAMP84 View Post
    It looks like the "semi-automatic only" might be in reference to its operation. But as you said, whoever wrote that didn't did a great job.
    You are right. Especially as I google and look around, I see this "Button Broached Alloy Steel" pop up a lot.

Including back in 2015 when it, appears, FN was awarded a contract to supply rifles to the Army.

So, I don't imagine Full Auto Rating is an issue for the barrels. I mean, why would it be in all reality, thinking about it rationally, any barrel that can heat up in FA, will still heat up, albeit slower, in Semi.

Plus, this is FN. Which I doubt they would want to risk a reputation issue from some fudd being ignorant.

It's just a very poorly written listing. Give them a call, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Button Rifling is, arguably, a better barrel than CHF anyways.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 04-15-20 at 10:14.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    They specifically state is is different alloy than the standard FN 15 which i assume is 4150 CMV. Maybe it is a different amount of vanduim(sp) in the CMV 4150 barrel. I know they do make barrels for Hodge with a different alloy, maybe they licensed off of him for this one? Or is the milspec steel a different version of 4150 CMV... Mil-B-11595E
    They make lots of barrels with a different material than 4150; all the "machine gun steel" CHF barrels are a different alloy (Spike's, PSA, Centurion Arms, Noveske, etc.), and is what the Hodge barrel basically is, by all accounts, just a minor tweak in the formulation AFAIK (Hodge calls it a modified 9310H).
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    So do you guess think it is worth the $918 i paid for it? Being new in box.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast