Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Range report: Hodge barrel with LMT Enhanced BCG *UPDATE page 7*

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I know. But you’re Army.

That doesn’t count.

Bet you can’t even tell me what crayon color tastes the best.
    Purple is the only acceptable answer.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I know. But you’re Army.

That doesn’t count.

You have a much better choice of crayons in the modern era than I had "back in the day". If it isn't one of the basic colors I can't vouch for it.

The barrel I did buy fairly recently, that is true. And it WILL work once I'm done experimenting; next try will indeed be a standard BCG. The LMT EBCG I have had for a year or two, I didn't buy it for this weapon. I had it, it's rather pricey, so I thought WTH and gave it a whirl. Function was 100%, lock-back wasn't. Oh well. That is indicative to me that under less-than-ideal conditions lock-back might be the least of my worries.

Also, while I take it you're not poor, neither am I. That said, for repeatability of results (i.e. the same ammo each time) to drop to an H buffer, then a carbine buffer, then try an A5 with the several buffers it has, we're talking the high-side of $1K (not quite but almost). This is ammo that I already have, i.e. my "stash", so it would need to be replaced. Gotta keep minimal ammo stocks ya know.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    I get it. We're 20 years into the renaissance of the platform. "We" knew what would happen, no new soil is being tilled here. ABNAK is admittedly just tinkering around for his own amusement. I just selfishly want to buy the e-carrier off him when he's done playing with it for my wife's SOCOM barreled gun.
    I was actually surprised it didn't short-stroke. I was surprised the few lock-back failures I had were all that occurred. The LMT EBCG/Hodge combo was more forgiving than I expected, though I cannot (and will not) discount the lock-back issues.

Within the next week or two I'll run the same round count through it with a standard BCG (i.e. not an LMT EBCG, might be Cryptic Coatings or DD chromed) and report back here.

If I was a bettin' man I'd wager that a drop to an H or definitely a standard buffer would solve the issue, even with the EBCG. However, those lock-back issues are lurking in the back of my head so f**k it the next time will be with a standard carrier.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I know. But you’re Army.

That doesn’t count.

I bet you will say brown..... nobody want the brown crayon and that is what they give (special) Marines .
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Same. No hate for ABNAK here. Go ahead and tinker.

But still...

“ >buys crazy expensive barrel
    >buys crazy expensive BCG
    >20% failure rate for bolt hold open
    >MFW “

-One Smart Boi
    Pretty much, no hate. Its just we told him what would happen when he asked in a previous thread about this specific combo. And guess what? It happened, big surprise.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Pretty much, no hate. Its just we told him what would happen when he asked in a previous thread about this specific combo. And guess what? It happened, big surprise.
    Well now, to be fair, most (myself included) expected more prominent failures, like short-stroking and the maladies associated with it. The fact that it functioned fine (fed/ejected) but with ~ 20% lock-back issues surprised me. Sure, I could play with dropping to an H or standard buffer and probably make it work, but I saw what I wanted to see and will now re-test with a standard carrier.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Maybe before switching out your E-BCG, just try the Standard Buffer with ONLY the Rounds that didn't lock open.(-_^)
    IF You sell your E-BCG... I've got 2nd Dibs IF Sry0fcr drops out!

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Well now, to be fair, most (myself included) expected more prominent failures, like short-stroking and the maladies associated with it. The fact that it functioned fine (fed/ejected) but with ~ 20% lock-back issues surprised me. Sure, I could play with dropping to an H or standard buffer and probably make it work, but I saw what I wanted to see and will now re-test with a standard carrier.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Op, good report.

Dudes making reports like these have got to measure the Hodge gas-ports like the op did. They have changed a few times since the first barrels.

My only comment to add is Hodge barrels have always been intended to be run suppressed with m855a1. They are not “under gassed”.

LMT e carrier and VLTOR A5 are great kit. They can be run together with surprisingly small ports but the benefits of the combination are really found with can attached.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    Op, good report.

Dudes making reports like these have got to measure the Hodge gas-ports like the op did. They have changed a few times since the first barrels.

My only comment to add is Hodge barrels have always been intended to be run suppressed with m855a1. They are not “under gassed”.

LMT e carrier and VLTOR A5 are great kit. They can be run together with surprisingly small ports but the benefits of the combination are really found with can attached.
    Funny you mention that.....I was wondering (after this test) if the LMT EBCG was perhaps the A5 of the BCG world. It apparently can work with things thought otherwise. Sure, it may not have the latitude that the A5 has but I am impressed with the EBCG's ability to actually work when it wasn't supposed to. Dropping buffer weights *should* make it work even with lock-back, discounting the ultimate cold weather test of course.

I didn't actually measure the gas port, going off of data online (I bought it a month or two ago).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Haterz gunna hate. I am sticking an E-BCG in a 16" midlength just because I can. Experimentation is good.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    If the type of finish on the bolt carrier is going to impact reliability noticeably, then the type and amount of lubrication used will make a noticeable difference. And I don't think that'd be the case.

Also:

Poster: experiments with barrel, BCG, ammunition combo

Other posters: slam OP for being an idiot, because who would shoot that ammo/use that barrel with that BCG/use that ammo with that barrel and that BCG?
    Also other posters: wonder why industry professionals don't post regularly on forums any more

Where were you guys when IG was playing with LMT E-BCGs in 20-inch rifle-gas guns?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast