Thread: New 18" build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

New 18" build

I had a tan B5 govt. contract stock, and a few other parts laying around, so I decided to turn them into another rifle. The idea for this build was to create a modernized battle rifle. I really enjoyed my A2, MK12, and DMR builds, but I wanted something lighter and more maneuverable, while maintaining the rifle length barrel and gas system inherent in those designs.

The initial plan was to use an 18" - 20" FN CHF barrel, but I chose an 18" Rainier Arms "Mountain" barrel instead. Just like the FN barrel, the Rainier "Mountain" barrels are hammer forged, and chrome lined. I actually suspect they are made by FN, but have one major difference... cost. Priced at $150, the choice was a no brainier. As an added bonus Rainier Arms are fantastic people to deal with, and have consistently quick shopping.

I decided on a 15" Geissele MK13 rail, in DDC to match my tan buttstock. I usually advocate using 13" handguards on most rifles, but decided on a 15" for this build, to try and push my weapon light as far forward as possible. The idea was to mitigate barrel shadow when activating the light. The MK13 was also chosen, because it incorporates 1913 rail sections at the muzzle end. I feel 1913 still provides the most secure mounting system available today.

SOLGW has a solid reputation for quality, and they are regular contributors to the forum, so I purchased one of their lowers at a local dealer. The machining and finish work of their lower is impeccable, and very reminiscent of Mega. Initially I used a Vltor MUR upper receiver, but I found it to have a sloppy fit to my SOLGW lower. This isn't a dig at SOLGW, as I later found the MUR upper to have a sloppy fit with all of my lower receivers (to include Mega, and Noveske). I couldn't find SOLGW stripped uppers anywhere, so I sourced an FDE Aero Precision upper from a local store. The fit between these two receivers is outstanding. No wobble or slop, and no excess tension either. The takedown pins are a breeze to push in and out despite the tight fit.

I assembled everything with a Colt LPK, Geissele SD-E trigger, Surefire SF3P flash hider, and a CQD sling plate. I chose to install an LMT 308 carbine receiver extension, because I had a Vltor A5 buffer system laying around, but no Vltor A5 receiver extension. At the time Vltor A5 extensions were nowhere to be found. SR25/Armalite AR10/LMT 308 carbine extensions work with A5 buffer components in AR15 rifles, as the A5 extensions share the same dimensions. LMT extensions also have a nice Teflon finish, and incorporate a little tab that perfectly centers the extension on your receiver. Lastly I added a 6" - 9" Harris bipod on a Badger Ordnance mount, and a Vicker's sling.

For an optic I chose to mount a 3.5 power ACOG, simply because I had one already. Some of you may remember this optic from my A2 build. Due to the limited eye relief, I don't have current plans to mount iron sights. That may change, but only if I can get the 1-8 Accupower or Nightforce I've been looking at.

In the end this rifle is very well balanced, and shoots super smooth. Once the weather clears up I'll take this and my DMR build to the outdoor range, and see how the two compare at 100 yards. For now I'm very pleased with how this turned out. If I could change one thing, it would be the handguard. Although it is well made and rock solid, I feel it is too thin/minimalistic to deal with heat build up. I may swap it for a MK4 handguard in the future, but only time will tell.

Obligatory iPotato pics:

Last edited by Hammer_Man; 05-25-19 at 13:56.