Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Instances of Social Justice you are actually supportive of..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I have a different view - school uniforms - designating a color of slack.pant/jean/skirt with a polo shirt common to all - serves to level the playing field a little twixt the rich and the poor, plus it saves parents money and time.

Plus they may tend to focus the kids on school work rather than what so and so is wearing.

Kids can express their creativity and individuality the remaining 16 hours of the day.
    So much here I agree with. Kids should start viewing education as their job. You can be a free flight faggot in college.

Until such time, siddown, shaddup, and study.

School is NOT the place to:
    -make friends
    -get pregnant
    -deal drugs
    -join a gang
    -care about cliques

All this extra. Plus school should be year round. Kids should be able to bank "off time" to coincide with family trips, personal needs, etc.

Feedback Score
    I have a different view - school uniforms - designating a color of slack.pant/jean/skirt with a polo shirt common to all - serves to level the playing field a little twixt the rich and the poor, plus it saves parents money and time.

Plus they may tend to focus the kids on school work rather than what so and so is wearing.

Kids can express their creativity and individuality the remaining 16 hours of the day.
    Son wasn't an issue, outside of him wanting to wear shorts in a snow storm. Daughter- ugh. This month it all has to be 'Pink' brand, even though none of it is actually pink in color. We are actually selling schools for HS that have a fairly strict dress code as that she can wear whatever she wants outside of school, and we'll have more money for that if we can go standard for during school clothes. Not working, but it was worth a try.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Stuff that I've actually seen in my lifetime:

When SCotUS said that the state should stay out of the bedroom.

When SCotUS said that gay marriage is fine. (I eagerly await the government getting out of marriage entirely and/or the legalization of polygamy.)

When Don't Ask, Don't Tell was ended.

Heller v. DC.

When that federal appeals court in California ruled that California's ban on standard capacity magazines was unConstitutional.

When Montana legalized marijuana for medicinal purposes.

When people started posting up the snake from the Gadsden Flag superimposed over the gay pride flag with, "#ShootBack," on them after Orlando.

Congress mandating the tracking of missing aboriginal American women by federal law enforcement.

When the Air Force let women start being fighter pilots.

And, of course, the impending, "Making women eligible for Selective Service," (which I've been a proponent of since at least high school - now almost 20 years) thing.

(I'm sure I can think of more, given time, but for now, I think that's it.)
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)

Instances of Social Justice you are actually supportive of..

Why does social justice conceptually lodge in our collective minds as “government”?

Social justice for me is when a town cleans up their trash, when shelters and job training is offered, and when they put their own money and effort into charter schools and hospitals. That’s social. The govt is hardly social.

Btw, on uniforms in schools, kids find a way to personalize them anyway. The girls that want to look sleazy and draw sexual attention always find a way.

I think making women eligible for selective service is unjust. Why? Because making men eligible for it is already unjust.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Why does social justice conceptually lodge in our collective minds as “government”?

Social justice for me is when a town cleans up their trash, when shelters and job training is offered, and when they put their own money and effort into charter schools and hospitals. That’s social. The govt is hardly social.

Btw, on uniforms in schools, kids find a way to personalize them anyway. The girls that want to look sleazy and draw sexual attention always find a way.

I think making women eligible for selective service is unjust. Why? Because making men eligible for it is already unjust.
    I’d say it’s simply because the government has the monopoly on dispensing retributive and restorative sanction mechanisms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    I’d say it’s simply because the government has the monopoly on dispensing retributive and restorative sanction mechanisms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do they though? They are usually stopping social justice by removing the means to restore with regulation, taxation, and bureaucracy. And then pretend to rescue people from the very problems they caused. So yeah, they have a monopoly on coercion but not the real mechanisms of justice. But since we as a culture wrongly assume govt involvement for justice, we have the rise of SJWs who seek to use the govt rather than persuasion and goodness to achieve their own construct of “justice.”

I’m all for justice both individual and “social.” But the govt is the last thing to be included on that list.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Do they though? They are usually stopping social justice by removing the means to restore with regulation, taxation, and bureaucracy. And then pretend to rescue people from the very problems they caused. So yeah, they have a monopoly on coercion but not the real mechanisms of justice. But since we as a culture wrongly assume govt involvement for justice, we have the rise of SJWs who seek to use the govt rather than persuasion and goodness to achieve their own construct of “justice.”

I’m all for justice both individual and “social.” But the govt is the last thing to be included on that list.
    In most, if not all, Western countries, the government has a monopoly on the, "legitimate use of force." (What makes it legitimate? The fact that the majority of people living in those countries believe it to be so.)

The government is thus the final arbiter of what is and is not right in such places - such is the cost of giving up the sort of tribal justice common in the West prior to the age of nationalism and still common throughout the Middle East.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

So what really happens is that the poor kids are ridiculed because their slacks and Polos are from Walmart instead of GAP or Hollisters and kids just talk about shoes, jewelry, hair, etc. It is just another way to start training us to submit to Big Brother at an early age.

It's kind of telling that the salaried teachers and administrators don't wear uniforms (because Unions).

Call me crazy, but I would like schools to teach kids math, history, physics, biology, english, computer science and life skills instead of trying to control every facet of their lives.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    So much here I agree with. Kids should start viewing education as their job. You can be a free flight faggot in college.

Until such time, siddown, shaddup, and study.

School is NOT the place to:
    -make friends
    -get pregnant
    -deal drugs
    -join a gang
    -care about cliques

All this extra. Plus school should be year round. Kids should be able to bank "off time" to coincide with family trips, personal needs, etc.
    I think that schools IS a place to make friends. Part of growth is social functioning. Also, you can't tell kids to think like adults, because they're not adults. Kids learn better when they're enjoying the process. Hell, EVERYONE does, regardless of age. The more pressure you put on them, while at the same time withholding the pleasure, the more the kids just go through the motions and tune out their education.

What I think is that there needs to be a reassessment of what's taught in schools. Instead of algebra and geometry, we need to be doing more economics, statistics, and other practical math. There should be emphasis on vocational and technical training outside of tech schools. Basic car maintenance, plumbing, agriculture, computer troubleshooting and networking, and such. Not to make anyone into a tradesman, but just enough for people to have general practical skills in everyday life. Teach whole courses on logic, rhetoric, and critical thinking. Don't educate kids on what to think. Teach them how to think.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    In most, if not all, Western countries, the government has a monopoly on the, "legitimate use of force." (What makes it legitimate? The fact that the majority of people living in those countries believe it to be so.)

The government is thus the final arbiter of what is and is not right in such places - such is the cost of giving up the sort of tribal justice common in the West prior to the age of nationalism and still common throughout the Middle East.
    I’m pretty sure this agrees with my point. That a majority makes something “legitimate” would be a major contention for me for justice isn’t founded on majority opinion. They can call it “justice” all they like but that’s like calling a gun free zone “safe.”

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast