Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Simple" SBR lower question (I think)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

"Simple" SBR lower question (I think)

I have been reading and researching about Form 1 conversions of a rifle lower to an SBR. But so far, no matter what I read, I can't seem to find a clear answer to what I would like to do: And that is--buy a complete factory lower from a name brand manufacturer (i.e. BCM, LMT, Colt, etc) and then go through the process of registering it as a SBR using Form 1. I would not own an upper with this lower. I would be buying only the lower. So, is it possible to register a factory complete lower purchased without an upper as a SBR? I realize that for some of you I am only showing my ignorance by asking this, but I am a retired attorney and I have studied the legalities until my mind is spinning. If someone out there knows the answer, please, HELP!!

Feedback Score
    Why not just buy a "factory SBR" and not have to do any additional engravings? I have purchased a stripped, factory SBR and built it up to what I wanted. Since the platform lends itself to easy changes you could have multiple calibers even though it is registered in a particular barrel length and caliber.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Saiga S12 is my new Homeland Defense weapon.

Feedback Score
    You may purchase a complete Factory non SBR rifle and register the lower,

you may purchase a factory lower receiver without an upper and register the lower

you could purchase a factory AR pistol and register the lower.

My Texas gun trust clients are consistently reporting approved form ones inside of 30 days over the past few months so efiling the form one is absolutely the way to go

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjd75 View Post
    So, is it possible to register a factory complete lower purchased without an upper as a SBR?
    Form 1 is to make and register a firearm. So you can apply for and receive an approved Form 1 without a lower at all. So yeah, can apply with an existing lower and no upper.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks guys. That is what I thought was correct, but wasn't sure. Wanted to go the Form 1 route because of how much faster it apparently is than Form 4.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Form 1 is to make and register a firearm. So you can apply for and receive an approved Form 1 without a lower at all. So yeah, can apply with an existing lower and no upper.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by MCASSgt New River View Post
    Why not just buy a "factory SBR" and not have to do any additional engravings? I have purchased a stripped, factory SBR and built it up to what I wanted. Since the platform lends itself to easy changes you could have multiple calibers even though it is registered in a particular barrel length and caliber.
    The main downside to buying a factory SBR right now is that you'd have to wait 10+ months on the paper Form 4 to be approved and the rifle would have to stay at your dealer that whole time. There's also the additional expense of the regular transfer versus the NFA transfer. Other than those two things, factory SBR's are more desirable. In fact, once you Form 1 and engrave a lower, they're actually harder to sell than a regular lower. I'm more of a collector, so I go the factory SBR route whenever possible, but I do own more SBR's that I made myself. And once the Form for the lower is approved, you can use whatever upper on it you want. So long as you still have the original barrel length upper that's on the Form, it's not a permanent change.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    So long as you still have the original barrel length upper that's on the Form, it's not a permanent change.
    It’s not even a permanent change if you sell the original barrel length...

Feedback Score
    I was having the same dilemma recently but decided to Form 1 (individual) one of my lowers. It was a lot easier than I anticipated and I am bummed I have waited so long. I will definitely be sending off for another lower and an 870 I have collecting dust. The biggest PITA is getting it engraved but for me it is worth it since I will have my SBR from application to assembled in about a month.

The easiest options is factory SBR and just wait.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Some great replies! I really don't want to wait 6-10 months for approval of a Form 4 at my age (69). And, any and all firearms that I either own now or accumulate in the future I will keep until I die, and then my heirs can decide what to do with them. So resell value of the Form 1 lower is not an issue for me. I just want to have a legal sbr.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MCASSgt New River View Post

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Because then his whole gun sits in NFA jail for whatever the processing time is.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast