Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Simple" SBR lower question (I think)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Buy a couple its all good.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    E file form 1 is really easy. I just did a couple recently. When you file, I would probably put the shortest length you plan on having and the same for caliber.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjd75 View Post
    I have been reading and researching about Form 1 conversions of a rifle lower to an SBR. But so far, no matter what I read, I can't seem to find a clear answer to what I would like to do: And that is--buy a complete factory lower from a name brand manufacturer (i.e. BCM, LMT, Colt, etc) and then go through the process of registering it as a SBR using Form 1. I would not own an upper with this lower. I would be buying only the lower. So, is it possible to register a factory complete lower purchased without an upper as a SBR? I realize that for some of you I am only showing my ignorance by asking this, but I am a retired attorney and I have studied the legalities until my mind is spinning. If someone out there knows the answer, please, HELP!!
    Sure. You can Form 1 an AR lower as an SBR without having any other rifle parts and stick it in a safe if you want. You can finish it with any barrel length you want any time you want.

No matter how it's "registered" it's not an SBR unless and until it has an upper with a barrel shorter than 16 inches mounted on it. If it has no upper, or if you decide to put a 16 inch barrel on it, it's not an SBR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    E file form 1 is really easy. I just did a couple recently. When you file, I would probably put the shortest length you plan on having and the same for caliber.
    You put the length and caliber you initially plan to build.

Once that’s done, shorter or longer is fine...as is a different caliber.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I continue to be appreciative of all the responses to my question. For those wondering why I don't just do a factory sbr, I could, but I don't want to wait the lengthy period it apparently takes to get approved with substantial $ tied up during that time. Also, going the form 1 route gives me more flexibility as to which lower I buy, and which upper I choose to mate it with. I may also buy a complete pistol down the road and then apply to sbr that weapon as well. Like I said in my original post (I think) I am relatively new to AR's. My life experience has pretty much been pistol/revolver shooting and I consider myself fairly knowledgeable in that arena. But it has been fun getting into the AR game. Just trying not to get too addicted to it right now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    To stay legal, assemble your lower as a pistol using an SBA3 arm brace, install the shorty upper of your choice and enjoy shooting while waiting for your paperwork to come back.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-27-19 at 11:09.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have a SBR lower that was filed as an 11.5" upper. Can I sell the upper and change to a 12.5" upper?
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigereye View Post
    I have a SBR lower that was filed as an 11.5" upper. Can I sell the upper and change to a 12.5" upper?
    Thanks
    You can definitely change the upper to anything you want. You may need the ability to return it to original length but I’m not 100% certain on that.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    You can definitely change the upper to anything you want. You may need the ability to return it to original length but I’m not 100% certain on that.
    I do believe you need to retain the ability to return it to the configuration as stated on your form 1.

Feedback Score
    There is no requirement to be able to return it to the configuration on the form.
    Last edited by eodinert; 05-28-19 at 10:29.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast