Thread: Frame Rail Chipping

Feedback Score

Frame Rail Chipping

Hey guys,

I was looking at my 1911 and a couple used Hi powers and noticed that there seems to be a trend with the right rear frame rail getting chipped or deformed. Is this considered normal? If so, why does it happen?

Streamlight 8866.jpg

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Your photo is of a P-35/BHP.
    I see nothing extraordinarily abnormal in the one photo. Just what appears to be a scuff or mar in rear of frame rail.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I see nothing extraordinarily abnormal in the one photo. Just what appears to be a scuff or mar in rear of frame rail.
    I feel. I tried to get a pic of my 1911 but my camera wouldn't focus well. Idk, I just noticed it was a common thing and wondered why.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Question for you, why is it considered normal wear? I just saw another handgun with a similar mar on the right frame rail and it peaked my curiosity again.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    Hey guys,

I was looking at my 1911 and a couple used Hi powers and noticed that there seems to be a trend with the right rear frame rail getting chipped or deformed. Is this considered normal? If so, why does it happen?

Streamlight 8866.jpg
    Ive never see that scuff on any 1911 I’ve ever owned
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    That mark is normal on Hi-Powers. It is from the sear lever that pivots in the slide when the pistol is fired.

You may see a similar mark on Series 80 Colts if someone tries to re-install the slide with the firing pin block lever in the up position.