Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Mnt. barrel for budget spr build?

Feedback Score

Green Mnt. barrel for budget spr build?

So I have a Anderson AR I took on trade a while back. Was going to sell it but I might keep it and do a spr style build. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it but don't want to buy junk either. Not looking for an exact clone. Just a good shooting reliable rifle. It currently has a 16" 1:9 twist .223 Wylde non chrome lined barrel on it. Which is why I want to change it. I'd prefer a 1:7 or 1:8 twist. I've heard people say good things about Green mountain and they make some 18" 416 stainless barrels in 1:8 twist and within my price range. Though though some of them are a Wylde chamber. Will their Wylde chamber shoot 5.56 NATO ok? This is a requirement for me if only for piece of mind. I'd prefer black but their 5.56 chambered barrel isn't. It is already scoped though it's just a cheap Center Point at the moment. I also plan to upgrade the BCG as it's current one isn't chrome lined nor staked properly either. I will mostly just be shooting paper, maybe hunting if this configuration would be ok for whitetail deer or hogs with heavier loads. Here are the barrels in question. Thanks.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m24-...supplies-last/

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m49-18-223wylde-barrel/
    Last edited by Kevslatvin; 05-26-19 at 19:10.

Feedback Score

Green Mnt. barrel for budget spr build?

I have one of the M20, I would buy it again, pleased with the results.
    GM-M20 20" 223 Wylde Chamber
    Yes, NATO is fine/good through a Wylde chamber.

Aero Precision enhanced upper/lower, 15” free float rail, VG6 Gamma 5.56 SS brake

It shoots better than I do, which is my metric currently. Put three different shooters behind it for their first shot through this gun, bench top with bipod, doing a holdover I gave them with 75gr OTM bullets and hit a 30” gong 3 for 3 at 600 (not really that impressive, but different shooters unfamiliar with ARs and who don’t own one is not bad).

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
    Last edited by lordmorgul; 05-26-19 at 19:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have bought numerous Green Mountain Barrels, also been well-pleased.

In 18 inchers I have this one: http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m18-...wylde-chamber/

It is about .4 pounds lighter. As I said, I'm well-pleased and so are a lot of other people if you read the reviews.

223 WYLDE, 1:8 twist, 18" long, 416R stainless steel, weighs 2.1 lbs., honed, Fluted, passivated, bead blasted matte finish, Nickel Boron extension with M4 feed ramps, and has a rifle length gas block. button rifled, air gauged, stress relieved.

This seems to be the same thing in black? http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m52-...ivated-barrel/

I don't think you can go wrong with GMB. If you don't want/trust fluted, the others would be just fine, I'm sure.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I have a gm8 barrel from them that shots good for a chrome lined barrel. No experience with their stainless but I would expect a quality barrel.

That barrel is right around $200 and I would also suggest looking into White oak SPR barrel.

I would choose it over the GM based off of my example of one and tons of other feedback. Brownells has the rifle length gas one on sale for 239.99 and if you add the free ship and a coupon code probably close to the same price as the GM. Great deal for a quality barrel. You could always durakote etc if you want it Black

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod54526.aspx

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    That barrel is right around $200 and I would also suggest looking into White oak SPR barrel.

I would choose it over the GM
    Yes so would I, that is a great deal on the WOA 18” SPR. I have a WOA service rifle barrel and they are worth it, but for the example rifle the extra money might be better spent on a trigger or just simply be breaking the budget (since it was a budget based plan).

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Feedback Score
    Sounds like if I decide to go this route I'll be good to go with the Green Mountain or the White Oak either one.

Feedback Score
    Deer maybe, hogs nah. Just my opinion.

I have two WOA 18" SPR barrels, and they are worth the extra money. Probably won't go wrong with either. Also, take a hard look at the LaRue MBT trigger to go with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    Deer maybe, hogs nah. Just my opinion.
    Yeah I've done some searching since I started this thread and wonder if I want to do any hunting with it maybe I should re-barrel to 7.62x39 or 300blk instead. But then I think why switch the AR to 7.62 when I could just add a side optics rail mount to my AK and scope it.

Feedback Score
    +1 on the MBT . It is an awesome trigger for the price. They are coming out with a single stage as well

If you want to hunt hogs 6.5 Grendel is a good choice that uses standard ar15 parts sans BCG, barrel, and mags

Feedback Score
    Green Mountain barrels are gtg. Outstanding barrels for the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast