Thread: Interesting results after grouping my standard and BFH BCM barrels - update 02 JUN

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Interesting results after grouping my standard and BFH BCM barrels - update 02 JUN

I took an LPVO class a few weeks ago and developed some concerns about the new upper I was using. It had about 1k rounds through it, but I hadn't gotten a chance to shoot it further than 50m at that point. The 100m groups we started out with were around 2-3 MOA, which was a little disappointing but I assumed it was either me or the older PPU 75 gr BTHP ammo that I was shooting. As we pushed the distance, it got worse, to the point that I couldn't make consistent hits on steel at 200 and 300m. The instructors started watching me a lot closer and looking at the scope and mount to see what could be the problem. There were some theories that the 1.93 mount was making it hard for me to get a consistent cheek weld, but I wasn't convinced that was the case, especially after one of the instructors shot it on paper and got some very odd results. Knowing that it'd be a while before I could do it, I sent the upper and scope to Robb Jensen, since he assembled it for me. His target is below, and he stated that he was surprised that it didn't shoot better based off of his own BFH barrels.

Upper: BCM BFH
    Optic: Razor HD 3-18x
    Ammo: Hornady 75gr BTHP
    Distance: 100 yards
    Results: 1.99" five round group, 2.36" 11 round group.

I wanted to do some more testing on my own so after another week I finally got to the 100 yard range with my backup AR, a factory BCM ELW-F with original KMR. I think the round count is around 2,500 and while I've shot it at 100m before, its always been with an Aimpoint. I brought my primary lower with SD-E and swapped the uppers and Atlas bipod, but shot both optics. I also used a rear bag. Ideally I would've shot every type of ammo (I had several that I didn't get to) at 50 and 100 with both uppers using the Razor, but I ran out of time. All groups were five rounds. Here are my results.

Target 1
    Upper: BCM ELW-F
    Optic: Razor 1-6
    Ammo: FGMM 69 gr.
    Distance: 50 yards
    Results: 3/4"

Target 2
    Optic: T-2
    Ammo: PPU 75 gr.
    Results: 1 1/4"
    Note: Ignore group one, that was my first one of the day so I shot it at 25 yards

Target 3
    Optic: T-2
    Ammo: Gold Dot 75 gr.
    Results: 1 1/4" for both
    Note: windage zero target

Target 4
    Results: 1 1/8" and 1 1/2"
    Note: elevation zero target

______

Target 5
    Results: 1 7/8"

Target 6
    Results: 1 3/4"

Target 7
    Results: 1 5/8"

Target 8
    Results: 2"

I thought I had shot the PPU with the Razor on the ELW-F upper so that I'd have two direct comparisons, but apparently I only shot it with the Aimpoint which means that targets one and five are the only direct comparisons. The ELW-F shot a 3/4" group whereas the BFH shot a 1 7/8" group. Also, while not a direct comparison, targets two and seven are similar and interesting because the ELW-F with a T-2 shot a 1 1/4" group while the BFH with the Razor shot a 1 5/8" group. So in the one direct comparison, the ELW-F with double the round count outshot the BFH barrel by a singificant margin. It also shaved off almost half an inch in the next closest comparison, despite the significant difference in magnification. Finally, the groups from the ELW-F are on average tighter with one flier, whereas the groups from the BFH are all fairly dispersed.

I'm surprised at how well the BFH barrel shot, considering how it did at the class. I was actually expecting five MOA groups because of how it did on paper when the instructor shot it. So here are some questions that I have.

1. If I have an upper that will shoot 2" at 100 yards, how well does that translate to 4" at 200 and so on? I know its not a perfect science, but are there instances where it would suddenly open up considerably, like 6-8" at 200 yds?
    2. What's the consensus on a newish BFH barrel grouping no better than 2 MOA? I wouldn't expect 1 MOA, especially knowing that BCM barrels are often out shot by DD and Colt, but I'm pretty happy with the performance of the standard barrel, just not the BFH.
    Last edited by Wake27; 06-02-19 at 14:23.
    Sic semper tyrannis.