6 20.69%
  • Something from Noveske

3 10.34%
  • Something else

16 55.17%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DMR

Feedback Score
    Sorry I would build what I want rather than buy. When you buy you either get cheap stuff or over priced mediocre stuff. Spend extra money on a Krieger, Broughton or Bartlein barrel and have someone you trust build it.

Feedback Score
    Based on all the great info provided and some more research, I abandoned the 18" models and narrowed the options to the following:

KAC SR-25 E2 PC M-LOK
    LMT L129A1 Reference Rifle
    Noveske 16" Gen III N6 Heavy Recon Rifle
    Barrett Rec10

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    Sorry I would build what I want rather than buy. When you buy you either get cheap stuff or over priced mediocre stuff. Spend extra money on a Krieger, Broughton or Bartlein barrel and have someone you trust build it.
    That's a fairly broad and shortsighted statement don't you think?
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jferguso View Post
    Just wondering what you guys would grab for a factory built, precision AR-10 platform given the listed choices. Some of my parameters are 18" barrel, DI, 9 lbs or less, aftermarket trigger and muzzle brake/comp preferred. Precision/repeatability would be most important attributes. Let me know what you think. If you know of something that just blows all of these away but has a 16" or 20" barrel, please list that. If you select "something else" in the poll please list your preferred rifle in comments. Thanks!
    honestly there are a lot good choices that would suite you needs. what is your budget?

off the top of my head,

Daniel Defense
    Armalite
    Colt
    POF
    KAC

all offer a sub 9lb rifles that are good to go. I personally like LMT, although a little heavy they are incredibly reliable,built like tanks, and allows me to change my rifle from a 8.5lb, 13.5 inch 308 thats a solid performer out to 800 to a 20 inch 6.5CM that can offer keep a 147ELD-M supersonic till 1500 in about minute

I also Love the Knights lineup, always on the fence about picking one up. I think POF has a very cool concept with the revolution DI

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Building is always a good option, but as much as i love me some Krieger and Bartlein barrels, there is zero chance of a 18 inch build coming close to 9lbs. I think my last build with a krieger was around 14lbs before optics. Nothing wrong with that if thats what you are going for.

practical difference in accuracy between my Kieger barreled AR10 and 20inch SS LMT barrel was probably .5 vs .75 MOA. But the LMT set up was at least a few pounds lighter(and is still considered heavy). both are capable of banging a Man size steel target at 1000 fairly easily as long as the shooter does his job since the target is 1.8MOA

hell, at 800 an 18 inch man size plate is almost a 2.5MOA target, which is part of the reason that i have started shooting a 13.5 inch barrel.

But if one is interested in shooting targets for group size, absolutely, grab a good cut rifled barrel

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jferguso View Post
    Based on all the great info provided and some more research, I abandoned the 18" models and narrowed the options to the following:

KAC SR-25 E2 PC M-LOK
    LMT L129A1 Reference Rifle
    Noveske 16" Gen III N6 Heavy Recon Rifle
    Barrett Rec10
    I would recommend any of the above. Each has individual strengths and negatives, figure out what you want to do, and how much you realistically plan to shoot in 1-5 years, and one answer will rise to the top.

I can't recommend AGAINST trying to build a .308 AR enough. You are basically guaranteeing yourself high frustration, high tool cost, lots of time, lots of talking to individual manufacturers that won't talk about other manufacturer's parts, and lots of people that just don't know what they don't know. About the closest that you can do as far as building your own is picking up a stripped lower from LMT or ADM, building it up with a good lower kit appropriate for a .308 AR (being cognizant that the receiver extension is not the same as a standard 5.56 AR), and then finding the upper you want and dropping it on. Given the reality of integrating these, a factory warranty is a really good idea.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I would recommend any of the above. Each has individual strengths and negatives, figure out what you want to do, and how much you realistically plan to shoot in 1-5 years, and one answer will rise to the top.

I can't recommend AGAINST trying to build a .308 AR enough. You are basically guaranteeing yourself high frustration, high tool cost, lots of time, lots of talking to individual manufacturers that won't talk about other manufacturer's parts, and lots of people that just don't know what they don't know. About the closest that you can do as far as building your own is picking up a stripped lower from LMT or ADM, building it up with a good lower kit appropriate for a .308 AR (being cognizant that the receiver extension is not the same as a standard 5.56 AR), and then finding the upper you want and dropping it on. Given the reality of integrating these, a factory warranty is a really good idea.
    Jack ain’t bullshitting. SR25 is the defacto standard for 7.62 guns.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post

^ This.

Building up a lower is pretty much retard-proof, while building up an upper (AR15 or AR10) is the one thing people dick up the most in a home-brewed build, with more to consider besides just slapping parts together.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    That's a fairly broad and shortsighted statement don't you think?
    Everyone has an opinion, mine is based on being a smith since 1981 and being in the AR industry full time for the last 12 years. There are many more lt weight parts now than 5-6 years ago. If you understand how an AR works building one that works is easy, port the barrel to run correctly with the chosen parts.
    People in the long range game thinks EVERYONE is only interested in long range.
    People that only build duty/shtf rifles think EVERYONE is only interested in combat rifles. ETC, ETC.

Even big manufacturers with mil contracts over-gas barrels to the point the carrier is moving to the rear while the bullet is still in the bore and flames are shooting out of the ejection port. Seems like Lowlight on the hide talked about some 308 sniper rifles that were severely over-gassed. Semi auto 308s don't have to feel like you are shooting a 1 cylinder John Deere tractor.
    Last edited by constructor; 05-30-19 at 11:43.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Even big manufacturers with mil contracts over-gas barrels to the point the carrier is moving to the rear while the bullet is still in the bore and flames are shooting out of the ejection port.
    I am very interested in data that supports this claim.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast