• Something from Noveske

3 10.34%
  • Something else

16 55.17%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DMR

Feedback Score

DMR

Just wondering what you guys would grab for a factory built, precision AR-10 platform given the listed choices. Some of my parameters are 18" barrel, DI, 9 lbs or less, aftermarket trigger and muzzle brake/comp preferred. Precision/repeatability would be most important attributes. Let me know what you think. If you know of something that just blows all of these away but has a 16" or 20" barrel, please list that. If you select "something else" in the poll please list your preferred rifle in comments. Thanks!
    Last edited by jferguso; 05-28-19 at 21:51.

Feedback Score
    Judging by the options you’ve listed, you’re not looking to spend KAC money. I’d up my weight limit and go with LMT. Empty weight is under 10lbs. The cl barrels have the potential to be MOA performers.

https://lmtdefense.com/firearms/mlkmws
    Last edited by Jsp10477; 05-28-19 at 20:37.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsp10477 View Post
    Judging by the options you’ve listed, you’re not looking to spend KAC money. I’d up my weight limit and go with LMT. Empty weight is under 10lbs. The cl barrels have the potential to be MOA performers.

https://lmtdefense.com/firearms/mlkmws
    In that case, would you consider the KAC (something like a 16" SR-25 E2) worth at least a grand more than the other options? Is it that much better?

Feedback Score
    When I was in the market for a 308 gas gun I shot a couple SR-25’s and a few LMT’s before making my decision. Money wasn’t the deciding factor and I ended up with a MWS. If you are going to shoot the rifle suppressed a lot, spring for the KAC.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    18" is the worst compromise with regard to 7.62/.308 barrels. Makes the gun feel and move like a 20", but with ballistics closer to 16" performance than 20".
    Big reason that pretty much every military uses either 20" or 16" barrels for 7.62 precision/sniper support.
    9lbs is a bit on the light side, forces either a very thin barrel profile that won't hold up as heat grows for multiple shots, poor suppressor integration, and more movement under recoil. Given the enablers that are needed for effective use in that application (mid to high power optic, mount, offset sights, bipod, laser, rangefinder, level, cosine indicator, tripod mount, filled magazine, precision stock, etc, the final system is going to weight over 15 lbs, and the difference in a 15lb system and a 17lb system is way less noticeable than the difference between a 9lb gun and an 11lb gun. And that's before taking into account suppressors and clip-on inline nightvision.
    In my experience, the optimal weight for a 7.62 gun is right around 9.5-10.5lbs base weight.
    Your needed performance attributes should be part of your requirements list, definitely more important than arbitrary barrel lengths, minimal weight differences, or factory of manufacture.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    18" is the worst compromise with regard to 7.62/.308 barrels. Makes the gun feel and move like a 20", but with ballistics closer to 16" performance than 20".
    Big reason that pretty much every military uses either 20" or 16" barrels for 7.62 precision/sniper support.
    9lbs is a bit on the light side, forces either a very thin barrel profile that won't hold up as heat grows for multiple shots, poor suppressor integration, and more movement under recoil. Given the enablers that are needed for effective use in that application (mid to high power optic, mount, offset sights, bipod, laser, rangefinder, level, cosine indicator, tripod mount, filled magazine, precision stock, etc, the final system is going to weight over 15 lbs, and the difference in a 15lb system and a 17lb system is way less noticeable than the difference between a 9lb gun and an 11lb gun. And that's before taking into account suppressors and clip-on inline nightvision.
    In my experience, the optimal weight for a 7.62 gun is right around 9.5-10.5lbs base weight.
    Your needed performance attributes should be part of your requirements list, definitely more important than arbitrary barrel lengths, minimal weight differences, or factory of manufacture.
    Good to know. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    KAC SR-25 E2

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jferguso View Post
    Just wondering what you guys would grab for a factory built, precision AR-10 platform given the listed choices. Some of my parameters are 18" barrel, DI, 9 lbs or less, aftermarket trigger and muzzle brake/comp preferred. Precision/repeatability would be most important attributes. Let me know what you think. If you know of something that just blows all of these away but has a 16" or 20" barrel, please list that. If you select "something else" in the poll please list your preferred rifle in comments. Thanks!
    Save up a couple extra bucks and get yourself an SR25 CC or PC. 2nd choice would be the LMT MWS.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Awesome information. I have two LMT's, wish one was a KAC.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    KAC APC/thread.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast