Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standard scope mounting options Rem700

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Standard scope mounting options Rem700

For those of you who use your Rem 700 for hunting/light target use, what solid mounting system do you prefer? I don't have the background with bolt guns I do with ARs, so I'm tempted to look at a rail with medium rings. I'm also looking at the one piece base/ring combo Leupold Backcountry set up. I know nothing, so please educate me.

Rifle-Standard Rem700 30-06 with takeoff stock from long action Rem700 5r.

Scope-Vortex 4x16x44 HST

Use-Mostly just shooting, since it's what I own and I'm not on the market for a new rifle. When used for hunting, I'll be scouting by vehicle and walking 1/4 mile or less.

Budget-Ideally $200 or less for the mounting system. I won't be getting so far into this it replaces any handgun or AR shooting.

At this point, I want to be able to just go out and shoot this rifle after mounting the scope. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Both of my 700’s, a 6mm Remington AI with a Swaro 3-9 and a .375-.350 Remington Magnum with a NF NXS 1-4, have Talley lightweight mounts. The base is integral with the bottom ring half and I have never had an issue with them- even with the recoil of the .375.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    With a hard recoiling bolt gun I prefer mount/rings low (but not barrel touching objective bell) to provide a solid cheek weld.

And agree with Talley quality.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Will a 44mm bell clear the barrel with low rings?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Will a 44mm bell clear the barrel with low rings?

With a standard barrel, yes. I have NF low tings with a 50mm bell and Proof Sendero barrel and there is still enough room for scope caps

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    EGW makes cheap decent mounts. You can buy nice Nightforce or badger... Warne makes good reasonable rings. Look on Brownells that carries everybody stuff.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    EGW makes cheap decent mounts. You can buy nice Nightforce or badger... Warne makes good reasonable rings. Look on Brownells that carries everybody stuff.

PB
    Yeah I've had really good luck with EGW on several rifles. Also Mark at Short Action Customs uses them when upgrading a factory rifle like a Tikka. EGW is a pretty good cost-effective option that's still reliable.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I grabbed Talley rings. I took the rifle apart last night and adjusted the trigger, and it's obvious it'll need to be replaced one day. It's a very consistent 2.5#, but it's extremely gritty. I should have this rifle on the range by the weekend. Thanks for all the help.

Feedback Score
    ***ETA***, guess I should've read your last post.

NYH1.
    Last edited by NYH1; 07-13-19 at 23:50.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I was able to pop the steel at 400,500,600, and 700. Call me a wimp, but I'd probably appreciate a muzzle break or suppressor on this rifle. 30-06 loads are a tad more taxing than 223...

Here's the 700, the bright centered hit is from the 30-06.
    Attachment 58036

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast