I'm 55 now and have always been very active either in the gym 5-6 days a week since the mid 70's, sports all through grade school and even into my 20's, marital arts and even now I'm doing 6-8 workouts a week. I don't eat fast food and stay away from simple carbs and sugars. I have never had high blood pressure or high cholesterol. We don't have a family history of cardiac problems either. 5 years ago I ended up having some issues and was finally referred to a cardiologist. Turns out I had 3, 95% blockages and one at 60%. Thankfully they were able to stint the 3 blockages. They left the 60% blockage alone. My cardiologist initially put me on a high blood pressure med, Plavix, 325mg of aspirin and 20mg of Lipitor. After the procedure I asked him when could I get back in the gym and he said give it 10 days and then no restrictions. I came off of the Plavix a year later and never started the blood pressure meds. I asked him why he prescribed them if I didnt have high blood pressure. He said to give my heart a break. I never took them. Right now it's still just the Lipitor and 325mg of aspirin. Last year I asked him about the 60% blockage and if the Lipitor would reduce the blockage or keep it from becoming even more blocked. His answer was "In theory......." I stopped him and said. We are not talking theory here what is reality? He said the studies were not conclusive that cholesterol meds could keep blockages from increasing.

I'm still taking the Lipitor/atorvastatin and the 325mg of aspirin. I still eat clean and if I'm not in the gym I'm very active in one way or another. Resting for me is sitting in a deer stand or a duck blind or sleeping at night. Blows my mind though that without a family history, no high blood pressure or cholesterol I still end up with 3 stints and very easily could have had a major heart attack.