Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E cigarettes

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

E cigarettes

The E cigarettes are truly the first real break through for smokers, and even non smokers. Smokers (who may or may not end up quitting from their use) can avoid most of the harmful compounds found cig smoke, and non smokers don't have deal with the smoke either.

I recently gave an E Cig set up to my friend Dave and it's changed his life for the better in a big way.

E Cigs are a win win in my view. What could go wrong? Per usual, the powers that be have decided to introducing legislation restricting the use of electronic cigarettes. Likely due to lobbying power of standard cancer sticks I'd wager....

E-cigarettes: Is a smoking alternative being choked by regulation?

"While e-cigarettes can be used as a stepping stone to ending nicotine addiction, some vapers see them as a way to continue a hobby they enjoy without the attendant fear of death. That's because although nicotine is the addictive ingredient in cigarettes many experts do not think it is especially harmful. It's the tar and other nasties in tobacco that kill.

"Nicotine is not very dangerous, and it's very unlikely someone will overdose on the nicotine in electronic cigarettes by inhaling the vapour," says Maciej Goniewicz from Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, New York - an oncologist who has analysed e-cigarettes and the vapours they produce."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23196369
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: E cigarettes

I'm a former smoker that had smoked for over twenty years. I see 0 point to E-cigarettes. People just need to nut up & quit. I know it's tough but I only see the E-cigarette as a money making scheme that doesn't necessarily eliminate the addiction as much as it just moves it to a different medium. They may be fine for the smoker who is in a place that prohibits smoking as a temporary way to crutch their fix but as a form of cessation, I don't see it.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    I'm a former smoker that had smoked for over twenty years. I see 0 point to E-cigarettes. People just need to nut up & quit. I know it's tough but I only see the E-cigarette as a money making scheme that doesn't necessarily eliminate the addiction as much as it just moves it to a different medium. They may be fine for the smoker who is in a place that prohibits smoking as a temporary way to crutch their fix but as a form of cessation, I don't see it.

Sent via Tapatalk
    If you can get what it is your addicted to minus the problematic/toxic stuff that's harming you* (in this case they happen to not be the same thing as they are for other drugs), what's not to see?

Some smokers use it as a far safer alternative to smoking which is also a benefit to non smokers.

If used correctly, one uses a lower and lower dose of nicotine over time and get off altogether, which has proven to be successful strategy for many.

That's as win win as it gets considering how many people die from smoking and what costs society.

Again, what's not to see?

Hey, if they and will nut up & quit, great. My father did after smoking 3-4 packs of un filtered Camels per day for decades.

My mother however died from the habit in her 50s and shortly before dying, after having her voice box removed, wrote on a pad an paper to me in the hospital: "****ing cigs"

She attempted to quit various times.

So, what ever helps people either quit, or as the very least greatly reduced their exposure to all the nasty crap found in cigs, as well as benefit non smokers, I'm 100% for it.

Glad you were able to quit cold turkey. Not easy no doubt.

* = nicotine is not harmless, but is far less toxic component of cigs than the rest of the garbage in them.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I quit cold turkey. I tried the patch a few times & it didn't work. Ultimately, it was my second shot at using Chantix that got me over the hurdle.
    I see where you're coming from as far a the E-cig goes, I just feel people would be better off quitting all together vs just moving the addiction over to a different medium.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score

When I turned 16, my dad quit. The second day he was a wreck. A patch on his arm, gum in his mouth, and a cigarette in hand. He struggled through and quit and didn't smoke for 3 years. The hand to mouth fixation can be hard to break.

Chantix is a double edged sword if you are one of those who end up with night terrors.

E cigs cut out just about everything that's bad. In my research I've not found a whole lot on nicotine itself. Its found in tobacco, some peppers and plenty of other natural sources which lends me to believe moderation is key, just like caffeine. If anybody has good info about nicotine and the human body, please share.

I've been on it for 3 months or so now. I no longer wake up with crap in my lungs or throat. I don't get winded like I would when smoking. I've recalibrated my brain to a new nicotine source, didn't have to fight the oral fixation and I cut out the carcinogens.

Cigarettes are now repulsive. I tried to smoke one a month ago out of curiosity. 5 drags in I started feeling nauseous and got a gnarly headache. I'm done with cigarettes, mission accomplished. I've stepped down on my nicotine dose as well and if I ultimately kick that too, well, even better.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    I don't believe in the "oral fixation" thing. Smoking is just "something to do". It's the nicotine really. Supplement the nicotine, and you'll care less about cigarettes.

E-cigs are horrible and really nothing like the real thing. However, I have heard that there is juice that tastes like Red Bull. I'd like to try that.

That being said, I just use Swedish Snus. Every time I have cut down on the snus, around smokers I'd pick up smoking again for a few months. Pop in some snus and cigarettes have no appeal.
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I smoked for ten years. Worst decision of my life to ever start that horrible drug. My father chews. So I have a little bit of experience with nicotine in different mediums.

I tried quitting for two years off and on, then finally I literally said "**** it, I'm done." When I tossed my last butt I felt no pain. Cold turkey? I guess if you consider that everything else failed. What it came down to was manning up and accepting that the withdrawal symptoms were mine to own, and mine alone. I had to tough through them or I would never make it.

The last fight I lost was with friend of mine. I wanted a smoke really bad at a christmas party. I asked him to hit me in the face, he knocked me flat on my ass....

I tried the e-cig off and on for a year. The reason I didn't switch was that I found myself pulling on it more then a smoke. I actually smoked it way more often then a standard smoke. This made me feel way ****ed up and on edge.

Based on 0 scientific evidence, and 100% anecdotal evidence I got all paranoid that it would create a deeper addiction, and that it may cause cancers in parts of my body that science hadn't seen yet (due to the new medium of dispersal). This holiday weekend I cornered a friend of mine at camp to ask what he thought because his e-smoker is all he uses unless he's camping and it fails three days in... He had the same critique that he felt like he was ingesting more nicotine. He loved that he could smell, taste, and run again, but he was visibly nervous about the dosage he was getting.

I quit 2 years ago. I have no regrets and every time I crave I tell myself: You're not quitting smoking, you're relearning breathing. Then I take a deep breath.

As for second hand smoke I think the Nanny State needs to stop freaking out.
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've been a smoker for about 3 years. Up until about 6 months ago, I can honestly say I didn't get cravings. I never knew what cravings felt like. I should have quit when I didn't get them. I tried the BLU E Cigs and after about a day of off and on use, I went from about 3/4 a pack to a full pack a day. I really think the E Cig makes people smoke more. It helps to curve the oral fixation (if you get it) but as for a nicotine supplement, it didn't do shit.
    Last edited by bluejackets92fs; 07-08-13 at 01:34.
    Not sure about you guys, but I'm only here for the free food and open bar.

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P Armorer
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    I don't believe in the "oral fixation" thing. Smoking is just "something to do". It's the nicotine really. Supplement the nicotine, and you'll care less about cigarettes.
    Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Addiction is not all about a physical dependence, there is far more to it than that. For a lot of people, it is situational. Smoke after a meal, smoke while drinking, smoke at fish camp, whatever. Those habits trigger the physical addiction. Maybe not in everyone, and a lot of it may be mental, but it is still there.

My personal experience with quitting has a lot to do with the oral or hand-to-mouth aspect. I smoked for 6 years as a dumb kid, and I quit 17 years, 6 months and 10 days ago. Side note, where the hell does the time go? I will be 40 this year and have no idea how I got here. Anyway, when I quit, there was no such thing as E cigs. I substituted other hand-to-mouth activities to slowly break the habit. I mean, I quit cigarettes cold turkey, pitched a half-smoked cig over the balcony railing, threw away the rest of the pack and never smoked again, but the habitual side was much more gradual. I always had a handful of toothpicks in my pocket. The cinnamon flavor ones rock, by the way. I ate a boat load of sunflower seeds. I licked a lot of tootsie pops. I doubt I would have been able to quit cold turkey if I hadn't addressed the habits that were part of the smoking routine. I quit playing pool for a while, cause I always wanted a smoke. I didn't drink for six months.

Blah, Blah, Blah. Nobody wants to here other peoples "I quit, you can too" stories. My point is that the habits that come along with smoking need to be addressed when you want to quit smoking. You alter those habits a little, fill the void that cigs used to fill, and you may just have an easier time. If e cigs help, have at it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome1228 View Post
    Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Addiction is not all about a physical dependence, there is far more to it than that. For a lot of people, it is situational. Smoke after a meal, smoke while drinking, smoke at fish camp, whatever. Those habits trigger the physical addiction. Maybe not in everyone, and a lot of it may be mental, but it is still there.

My personal experience with quitting has a lot to do with the oral or hand-to-mouth aspect. I smoked for 6 years as a dumb kid, and I quit 17 years, 6 months and 10 days ago. Side note, where the hell does the time go? I will be 40 this year and have no idea how I got here. Anyway, when I quit, there was no such thing as E cigs. I substituted other hand-to-mouth activities to slowly break the habit. I mean, I quit cigarettes cold turkey, pitched a half-smoked cig over the balcony railing, threw away the rest of the pack and never smoked again, but the habitual side was much more gradual. I always had a handful of toothpicks in my pocket. The cinnamon flavor ones rock, by the way. I ate a boat load of sunflower seeds. I licked a lot of tootsie pops. I doubt I would have been able to quit cold turkey if I hadn't addressed the habits that were part of the smoking routine. I quit playing pool for a while, cause I always wanted a smoke. I didn't drink for six months.

Blah, Blah, Blah. Nobody wants to here other peoples "I quit, you can too" stories. My point is that the habits that come along with smoking need to be addressed when you want to quit smoking. You alter those habits a little, fill the void that cigs used to fill, and you may just have an easier time. If e cigs help, have at it.
    For some, they clearly do, and as I said regardless, anything that dramatically reduces the toxicity of the habit, is plus.

Although not PC to say, nicotine has a number of potential benefits in some populations. Hence, those already on the habit can get about as close to win win with the E cigs as one could ask for, and hopefully, can use the e cig to wean off the habit.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast