Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating oatmeal on a low carb diet

Feedback Score

Eating oatmeal on a low carb diet

I have heard both sides of eating oatmeal on a low carb diet. Some nutritionists say the carbs are too high to remain under the 20 grams of carbs a day that I am trying to maintain. Others say that it is good to eat oatmeal early in the morning to stabilize blood sugar for a low carb diet. I may be over-simplifying the explanation, but what is your opinion of eating oatmeal for breakfast on a low carb diet? I am talking about old fashioned oatmeal, not the instant "full of sugar" stuff. My goal is dropping some weight, getting ready for the upcoming Elk season.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What's the carb number you're trying to be under? For me "low carb" means keto which means under 20 grams of net carbs a day.

1 cup of oatmeal has 56 grams of carbs and 8 grams of fiber. So that means you're ingesting 48 grams of carbs.

For me, that's too much. For you? I don't know

EDIT: https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts...cereals/1597/2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadslinger585 View Post
    What's the carb number you're trying to be under? For me "low carb" means keto which means under 20 grams of net carbs a day.

1 cup of oatmeal has 56 grams of carbs and 8 grams of fiber. So that means you're ingesting 48 grams of carbs.

For me, that's too much. For you? I don't know

EDIT: https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts...cereals/1597/2

I was eating 1/2 cup of oatmeal (which makes 1 cup when cooked-28 carbs) for breakfast along with 20 grams of protein (lo carb shake). I also try to stay under 20 grams of carbs, and don't eat any carbs after 4:00 PM.

Thanks for the link. The way I understand it, you subtract the fiber grams from the total carb count and end up with net carbs? So instead of 28 carbs, I would be taking in 20 carbs just for breakfast. So essentially I would be at my limit, and could not consume any more carbs that day. I think I will just stick with my protein for breakfast, and skip the oatmeal. The oatmeal would be a good meal just before a morning hunt since I would need carbs for fuel, but for now I don't think I need them.
    Last edited by La26; 05-21-19 at 08:11.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Not worth the carbs. Skip it

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Are you trying to do Keto or just low carb?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by La26 View Post
    I was eating 1/2 cup of oatmeal (which makes 1 cup when cooked-28 carbs) for breakfast along with 20 grams of protein (lo carb shake). I also try to stay under 20 grams of carbs, and don't eat any carbs after 4:00 PM.

Thanks for the link. The way I understand it, you subtract the fiber grams from the total carb count and end up with net carbs? So instead of 28 carbs, I would be taking in 20 carbs just for breakfast. So essentially I would be at my limit, and could not consume any more carbs that day. I think I will just stick with my protein for breakfast, and skip the oatmeal. The oatmeal would be a good meal just before a morning hunt since I would need carbs for fuel, but for now I don't think I need them.
    Yes, and no. So half a cup has half the fiber so it would be 24 grams.

There's a difference between low carb and keto. Depending on which you're doing and what else you eat during the day, a half cup of oatmeal might be fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Are you trying to do Keto or just low carb?
    Just low carb, eating green salads with protein (chicken, lean beef, and Elk).

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Personally if im just doing low carb I do a good greek yogurt and some berries with almond slices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Personally if im just doing low carb I do a good greek yogurt and some berries with almond slices.
    Sounds good. I will look into that.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you're trying to limit carbs, oatmeal is counterproductive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast