Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firing pin snapped in half

Feedback Score

Firing pin snapped in half

Hi guys, newb in the AR world here. About a month ago I bought a PSA lower and a PSA upper with a nickel boron BCG made by Toolcraft acordong to the description. I went to the range and shot 150 rounds no problem. When I went home I cleaned it and then proceeded to function check. I dry fire it like 20 times and no problem. Ive always read that is safe to dry fire with the upper on. Read that the military do it thousands of times no problem. The next day when I pick it up I noticed something rattling inside, that's when I noticed the firing pin was broken. I Google broken firing pins and all I seen is the tip breaking but didn't foumd any firing pin breaking like this. The cotter pin was intact and installed correctly through both holes. Do anyone has any idea why this happened? Was prob a MIM defect, or maybe the steel or alloy of wasn't heat treated properly? Maybe bolt out of spec? Should I buy just the firing pin or I should buy a new bolt or bcg from a reputable company? Thank you

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I believe Nickel Boron has lead to some serious issues, which have been discussed here. Consensus seems that the best coatings other than phosphate are Ion Bond (BCM), NP3 (tons of manufacturers), or whatever chrome KAC uses. That said, I‘m not sure if that BCG has everything coated in Nickel Boron or just the bolt and carrier. If you can swing the price, I’d swap the entire thing for a phosphate BCG. The PSA premium one would probably even be an improvement if you don’t want to pay the $150ish for a better one. If that’s too much, go to BCM’s site and buy as many of their BCG components as you’re willing to spend money on. Obviously firing pin first, but the SOPMOD rebuild kit is probably a good idea too, even a bolt if you’re up for the $70 tag. Your use should not have caused that to happen if all of the parts were in spec, dry fire or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jongie123 View Post
    Hi guys, newb in the AR world here. About a month ago I bought a PSA lower and a PSA upper with a nickel boron BCG made by Toolcraft acordong to the description.
    Your problem appears at the start of your info, and is quoted above. PSA runs into more returns, defective, broken parts, and customer issues than every other manufacturer put together it seems.

ETA- Don't worry, some apologist will come out and say its a normal occurrence, and the retailer has nothing to do with it because they don't make the parts. It is correct, the parts are made to the specs of the retailer, and stated above, it comes up over and over with the same company having issues.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I believe Nickel Boron has lead to some serious issues, which have been discussed here. Consensus seems that the best coatings other than phosphate are Ion Bond (BCM), NP3 (tons of manufacturers), or whatever chrome KAC uses. That said, I‘m not sure if that BCG has everything coated in Nickel Boron or just the bolt and carrier. If you can swing the price, I’d swap the entire thing for a phosphate BCG. The PSA premium one would probably even be an improvement if you don’t want to pay the $150ish for a better one. If that’s too much, go to BCM’s site and buy as many of their BCG components as you’re willing to spend money on. Obviously firing pin first, but the SOPMOD rebuild kit is probably a good idea too, even a bolt if you’re up for the $70 tag. Your use should not have caused that to happen if all of the parts were in spec, dry fire or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've been reading alot since I bought it. I see bcg and barrel are the 2 things I should get good quality. I'll prob order the BCM ion bond. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Your problem appears at the start of your info, and is quoted above. PSA runs into more returns, defective, broken parts, and customer issues than every other manufacturer put together it seems.

ETA- Don't worry, some apologist will come out and say its a normal occurrence, and the retailer has nothing to do with it because they don't make the parts. It is correct, the parts are made to the specs of the retailer, and stated above, it comes up over and over with the same company having issues.
    For sure. It was my first rifle and the price was right. I thought I was getting a good value. I've sent PSA 2 emails four days ago with no reply yet.I Don't think they will. Oh well, lesson learned.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jongie123 View Post
    I've been reading alot since I bought it. I see bcg and barrel are the 2 things I should get good quality. I'll prob order the BCM ion bond. Thank you.

Actually you should get good quality everything. But you have what you have...so buy 2 quality FP's from someone mentioned here. One being a spare.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would ditch the NiB BCG in favor of a Milspec phosphate one, like a BCM or a Colt. NiB is nothing but trouble and really any fancy coating on a BCG is just not needed.

Feedback Score
    Unless this is a duty rifle then I wouldn’t ditch anything other than the broken firing pin. You can replace those for pretty cheap from a reputable manufacturer.

Feedback Score
    Wonder if it was a titanium firing pin? I have read that titanium pins are prone to break in half.

Feedback Score
    Is it possible that after shooting, prior to dry firing session you assembled the bolt incorrectly, with the firing pin not fully inserted in the bcg? Then the hammer would smack the firing pin at an angle and break it.
    Last edited by P2000; 05-29-19 at 20:11.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast