Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Firing pin snapped in half

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jongie123 View Post
    I've been reading alot since I bought it. I see bcg and barrel are the 2 things I should get good quality. I'll prob order the BCM ion bond. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Honestly, unless you can get one of the good coatings I mentioned for less than a good phosphate one, its more about the looks than anything IMO. So you're spending the difference on aesthetics. Yes, there may be some increased lubricity and easier to clean, but IME, good lube is cheaper, will be more usable, and works just as well. I love my IB BCG, but if its between just that vs a phosphate one and some spare parts, do the latter.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A Colt firing pin is $9 from brownells. Carry on.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sounds like you got a bad firing pin. I have thousands of rounds and dry firings through my NiB Toolcraft BCGs. Replace the firing pin and contact Toolcraft. They have a lifetime warranty for defective parts.

Also, that bolt looks incredibly dirty/stained if all you did was fire 150 rounds. Since you have a PSA upper I wouldn't be surprised if the oversized gas port caused a lot of extra wear on the parts. Unlucky with the firing pin heat treat and the overgassed rifle could lead to a very early breakage.
    Last edited by Mutant90; 05-29-19 at 19:47. Reason: Add more

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Seriously, buy two quality (BCM, Colt, etc) firing pins, one to use and a spare. Dry fire to your hearts content, it did not cause your failure. Cheap parts fail more and differently than quality parts, it's a fact of life.

Shoot your gun, enjoy it, repair by parts replacement as required. Read a lot of the posts on the board here and when you are ready for an upgrade, totally replace your gun. It's not like your PSA is made from pot metal, and using it will tell you a lot more about what you really want when you spend the money for a nicer gun.

I would recommend you do not upgrade 1 part at a time unless you are replacing failed parts, I have been down that road and it was a mistake. My LMT "M4" is orders of magnitude superior to my PSA "M4" fixed with serviceable parts.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-29-19 at 20:07.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    ETA- Don't worry, some apologist will come out and say its a normal occurrence, and the retailer has nothing to do with it because they don't make the parts. It is correct, the parts are made to the specs of the retailer, and stated above, it comes up over and over with the same company having issues.
    Notice you haven't made an appearance in this thread, why is that? : https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...nsion-Question
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Notice you haven't made an appearance in this thread, why is that? : https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...nsion-Question
    Chortle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a defective firing pin.
    If PSA isn’t replying I’d just buy two, a replacement and a spare. Spare pin and spare bolt is a good idea.
    Normally I’d recommend the spare bolt backup kit from AIM Surplus but last I looked a complete Toolcraft BCG was the same cost, but I think AIM does offer the back up kit in NiB.

Not sure what NiB has to do with the firing pin unless that was NiB coated as well. I have an NiB BCG and several nitrided BCGs and they all have standard firing pins. It may be possible something is out of spec in that BCG.

I still like PSA as a budget option, hope they put a pin in the mail, but a new pin is probably what it’d cost to mail a broken pin plus return postage.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Wonder if it was a titanium firing pin? I have read that titanium pins are prone to break in half.
    PSA does sell titanium firing pins, so thats possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    A Colt firing pin is $9 from brownells. Carry on.
    This right here.
    Last edited by 1168; 05-30-19 at 06:42. Reason: Add

Feedback Score
    Toolcraft makes the carrier and outsources everything else. Give them a call and they SHOULD make it right.

You can tell a Ti pin as it will be about half the weight and sounds completely different when dropped. It also costs about 3x more, so I doubt it got mixed in. I ran one in my open-class space gun about 20 years ago and never had a problem (still have it in a parts box).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by P2000 View Post
    Is it possible that after shooting, prior to dry firing session you assembled the bolt incorrectly, with the firing pin not fully inserted in the bcg? Then the hammer would smack the firing pin at an angle and break it.
    This^^^ 100%

And FWIW: I've been using a "FAILZERO" for well over 10 years, No clue as to how many 1000s rounds via this BCG... Never an issue.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast