Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 or 34 - Gen 4 or 5 - MOS or No?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Glock 17 or 34 - Gen 4 or 5 - MOS or No?

Debating getting a Glock 17 or 34. I've owned both over the years, currently own a 19X, 26.5, and 43. Just looking at a full-size for range and possible "all-purpose-other-than-CCW" use. I may get back into volunteer LE, so it could also be used for that. I've gone back and forth over whether to get a 17 or 34 for the above, but I can't decide. I'd like to be able to mount a RDS on it someday, but I'm not sold on the MOS as being an ideal solution, and I might send it off to get milled if I end up putting an RDS on it. I'd probably also try out an Overwatch trigger in it (except for duty use).

What do y'all think? Leaning towards a regular 17.5 w/ Ameriglo or a regular 34.4 right now.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    It sounds like the G34 might be your be all, end all.

The Gen 5 triggers are awesome IMO, the best factory trigger Glock has put out by far. If you have a 19x, I'm almost positive it's the same trigger? I will be corrected if I'm wrong though.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

You can’t mill much when the guns is MOS.

You’ll also get a better barrel and trigger from the factory than the gen 4.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No personal experience with MOS, but if you search around it seems to struggle with keeping the optic in place. Third party milling services seem to be the better choice.

I've always wanted a 34 but that's just me. I guess I'm the only person who's felt the gen 5 trigger and thinks it isn't much to write home about. I don't say that as someone who uses fancy Zev/Apex/Salient Arms triggers or anything either; my G19 has only ever had the factory trigger or the NY1 trigger spring with the (-) connector.

Personally I'd get a used gen 3 17/34 whichever you like better, and put the money towards slide milling and an optic. Maybe a stipple job or Talon grip tape if you're not a fan of the factory texture.

Feedback Score
    I have had the gen 3 17 and gen 4 34 MOS. I had them set up the same and really preferred the 17. Liked it so much I sold the 34. The new Gen 5 17 is sweet and that would be my vote.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    34 Gen 5. Only available in MOS. But you can send the slide off to Agency and have them cut the slide for their AOS system and then you can set the gun up for irons, RMR, DPP, Acro, &c.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Glock 17 or 34 - Gen 4 or 5 - MOS or No?

Quote Originally Posted by KILLICK View Post
    The Glock 34 MOS Gen 5 has eliminated the cut out on the top of the frame. That has made the Glock 34, in my respectful new-guy opinions, the very best option if you are looking for a Glock that has a nice long sight radius offering you the option of a RDS.
    True but sight radius is pointless if you’re running an RDS.

OP by all accounts the MOS system is sub-par.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 05-30-19 at 21:40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    Debating getting a Glock 17 or 34. I've owned both over the years, currently own a 19X, 26.5, and 43. Just looking at a full-size for range and possible "all-purpose-other-than-CCW" use. I may get back into volunteer LE, so it could also be used for that. I've gone back and forth over whether to get a 17 or 34 for the above, but I can't decide. I'd like to be able to mount a RDS on it someday, but I'm not sold on the MOS as being an ideal solution, and I might send it off to get milled if I end up putting an RDS on it. I'd probably also try out an Overwatch trigger in it (except for duty use).

What do y'all think? Leaning towards a regular 17.5 w/ Ameriglo or a regular 34.4 right now.
    Gen 5 mos- no cutout and front serrations (if either of those matter to you).
    17 or 34, I dont know- I doubt either would make a meaningful difference for in-hand performance.

Mos has been solid for me with battlewerks plate and screws(1500rds - not much, but a start).
    I would not touch the trigger. Gen5 is noticably better than gen4 “feel wise” but hasnt affected performance vs a gen 4 with dot or minus connector. My current belief is triggers are overrated assuming they are normal(3.5-5.5lb).
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-31-19 at 06:59.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ll go against the grain here and say that I prefer Gen 4. The finger grooves force very consistent hand positioning. I’m using a C&H plate and screws with my 19.4 MOS/RMR; so far, so good. Its a better design than the stock plates. As far as 17 vs 34, I can’t help you there. I use 19s for full size guns.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Another vote for the Gen 5. My 34.5 is my favorite pistol to shoot. Great trigger and I’m a fan of the lack of finger grooves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast