Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Wife Has Cancer

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)

My Wife Has Cancer

Just posting this as a heads up for others. Breast cancer is not a middle aged or older women’s disease. Lots of women younger than 40 (when mammograms become standard) get diagnosed. Self exams are crucial. My wife’s situation is a little complicated because she has dense tissue and fibrosis which makes detection harder. In her mid 20’s she had a biopsy and scans which were all negative.

Fast forward to this year and she was having an IUD replaced. The OBGYN did a breast exam and asked about the history. She still wanted my wife to get checked out. We missed the first appointment and almost missed the rescheduled appointment, too.

After the mammogram results were read they did a sonogram screen the same day and things didn’t look good. Can’t make a diagnosis yet but my wife cried in the car on the way home. A couple days later they did a biopsy of multiple areas. We were scheduled for a consult on a Friday, several days after the biopsy, but the office called and the consult was pushed back to the following Monday.

We went in together and were told the biopsy came back cancerous.

She was diagnosed as a stage 2b invasive breast cancer at 31 years old. The radiologist said they only get someone her age with breast cancer 1-2 times a year. Everyone handles things differently and I’m not the type to break down and start crying. I just did what I could to comfort her and listen to what we were being told. Immediately after we left we went a few offices down to the surgeon. We got a plan of sorts from him with a couple of options and discussed oncologists.

We decided on chemo first then she will have a double mastectomy afterwards.

As of now she has completed the first round of chemo which is doxorubicin or red devil as it’s known. That chemo comes in big syringes the oncology nurses have to push by hand, and is bright red in color hence the red devil moniker. The devil part comes from the harsh side effects. My wife had 5 different anti-nausea meds prescribed and none of them did anything more than take a little bit of the edge off. For 3-4 days after each infusion it was trying to get her to take sips of water and whatever food she could tolerate which was like 1-3 bites every few hours.

Yesterday she started the second round of chemo which is Taxol. The side effects are way less harsh but come with a different set of side effects. Neuropathy is the main one. I looked up nerve health supplements and got her a B complex and alpha lipoic acid. The nurses also mentioned bringing a frozen water bottle to handle during the infusion which seems to help prevent neuropathy in the hands. She has to do Taxol every week for 12 weeks. Then will come the double mastectomy and possibly radiation. Her chemo schedule and further plan of action is on the aggressive side due to her age (handling the treatment better than an older patient) and it’s early enough stage wise they can nuke it to prevent spread past her breast.

We are optimistic but I have another story to share. A good friend of mine just lost his SIL yesterday morning to cancer. She, like my wife, had breast cancer in her early 30’s but opted out of chemo. She did get a double mastectomy but at some point cancer cells must have escaped, and what is now several years later she started feeling underarm pain and got scanned around the same time my wife was diagnosed. Cancer had spread but she wanted to do alternative treatments like an infrared bed and juices. I really really feel bad for those personally affected by her passing but the odds are if she had done chemo with the original breast cancer it wouldn’t have spread and when she was re-diagnosed this summer it’s highly likely starting chemo even at that point would have at the very least extended her life by many years if not put her into remission. Now 3 kids lost their mom and an extended family is in shambles having lost a loved one.

I just wanted to share these stories and urge everyone to be reminded to do self exams including the guys. Don’t let odd stuff go. Early detection and treatment makes ALL the difference. My wife has joined a few support groups and there are women in their 20’s and 30’s dying from this shit because they delay seeing anyone until it’s obvious something is wrong and they are stage 3/4. I also honestly got pissed off reading websites talking about how chemo is a scam and doctors just put people through it because they get kickbacks. Monumentally stupid. My wife’s Lump areas started shrinking by feel almost immediately and as of now the breast in question feels more normal than it has in a long time. At the end of treatments, regardless of what the scans show, she’ll get them both taken just to eliminate the chance of it coming back from that vector. There’s genetic testing to see if it’s gene related but we did the blood testing and then insurance denied it :-/

Feedback Score
    Will be praying for you and your wife.

My wife lost her mother to breast cancer a little over 5 years ago, her father passed while she was in high school. She now is scanned more often because of it. Also a coworker just had mastectomy in her mid 40s. It's scary stuff for sure. I know I'm bad about not getting checked out but I turn 40 this year and have tried to be more intentional about scheduling routine checkups. Even picked up a dermatologist for the first time ever. The statistics on people getting skin cancer is scary as well.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Very sorry to hear this.
    My mil has fought this wickedness twice and is in good health at 85. Her first diagnosis was later in life, maybe 60.
    I will be praying for strength and courage for you and your wife.
    May the Lord keep you and bless you as you walk through this valley.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I am sorry to hear this. My mom and sister have both survived breast cancer. It is a long hard road, I am not going to soft sell it, but there is light at the end. I wish you and your wife all the best through this struggle.

Andy

Feedback Score
    If there was one thing I could rid the universe of, it would be cancer. I’ve lost my father and several friends to cancer. Four of my State Patrol Academy classmates have died (out of 36), all to cancer. One didn’t even make it to retirement. Prayers sent.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So sorry to hear. Prayers out to you and your wife to pull through physically and mentally. I can't imagine having to deal with those circumstances.

If there could be a list of things that were off limits for cancer and disease, the tatas should be on it!

Feedback Score
    Best wishes to you and your wife. It will be a long road ahead but getting to the end of it is the goal, stay focused on that.

Oh, and F**K CANCER!!!

***I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in December of 2016 at age 51. Had surgery in February of 2017. So far (fingers crossed) my PSA has been coming back "undetectable". Know what sucks about this? This draw blood and wait for the results with high pucker factor each time will go on for YEARS. It is a cloud hanging over me. I don't dwell on it but it's always there, lurking in the background.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Thoughts and prayers for your wife and whole family.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    As a patient, the cancer diagnosis itself is a hard thing to fit in your mind, but in many ways the hardest thing to deal with is the effect that your diagnosis, the treatment, and the prognosis has on family, friends, and the people that care about you and rely on you. Seeing the pain and fear in those folks brings feelings of guilt and a whole different level of pain that exceeds the pain and fear that you have for yourself.

Best of wishes for your wife. I’ve known many people with that diagnosis, hundreds over the years, who have been that exact route. It’s hard, but it does end. The nausea subsides, the hair grows back and life does go on. Abnak’s observations about the fears of subsequent exams is a real thing, but you do eventually learn to live with that fear too. It’s a bitch, but all you can do it move forward, one day after the next.

By the way...the OBGYN that started the ball rolling on your wife’s diagnosis is a hero. May have saved her life.
    Last edited by Hmac; 09-22-18 at 09:49.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So very sorry to hear this. But it's good to see that ya'll are attacking this in an aggressive manner. That's the only way to do it from what I've seen in life. Good luck to ya'll and prayers sent.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast