Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 32 Mags for self-defense? Ballistic gel tests

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Charter Arms has a 7-shooter .32 H&R on the way. This appears to be built on the 44 Bulldog frame.

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/03/18...r-magnum-model

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Older info on Double Tap's .32 H&R Mag load.

If this really does 12" and opens to half an inch it should be a good defense load.

No mention of what barrier such as FBI clothing or IWBA denim might have been used to test.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...-grain-tac-xp/

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hornady Critical Duty 135gr 357 Mag does 15" in gel from a snub which should make it ideal for personal protection. Plus it isn't crazy hot so recoil is tolerable from a tiny handgun.

The Gold Dot or Hydra Shok 327s do close but not as deep as the 357 but then again we're getting 6 instead of 5 shots from similarly sized revolvers.

What I'd personally love to see is a Ruger medium frame LCR. Something built along the same lines as the current LCR but closer to a K frame or Security 6. Something that's still light, handy and easy to carry but with a cylinder that holds 7 rounds of 327. Or 6 rounds of 357. Or, while we're at it, 5 rounds of 44 Special.

Surely Ruger has done the design work. I can't imagine they haven't already thought of such a critter. So what's the hold up?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    32/327s have about all the traction they're going to get. Their greatest attribute is offering a difference to those who want to be different.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    32/327s have about all the traction they're going to get. Their greatest attribute is offering a difference to those who want to be different.
    According to one of the Ruger sales guys I talked to recently, their various 32/327 revolvers sell quite well. Being that the 327 FM is relatively new and built/designed as a magnum revolver cartridge, it probably sells well considering what it is. A niche cartridge in a somewhat niche market.

Still, that doesn't mean that the little cartridge isn't without merit. Gel tests indicate that it is a "more serious" choice when compared to similar handguns chambered in 38 and/or 38 +P. Possibly even 357 Mag when fired from 2" barrels...
    Last edited by Tokarev; 08-06-19 at 08:39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I gotta disagree with this, too.

I think it's going to continue to grow in use.

Less recoil, can hit the numbers, good guns available, extra shot or two depending on the gun. Fairly inexpensive practice ammo. (.32 acp)
    Last edited by Ron3; 08-07-19 at 14:08.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post

Less recoil, can hit the numbers, good guns available, extra shot or two depending on the gun. Fairly inexpensive practice ammo. (.32 acp)
    If it has less recoil and better terminal ballistics than a .38+ from a sub, then it sounds to me like it fills a niche. Never fired one so don't have a reference point.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post

32acp is not that much cheaper than 38. $12 vs $15. And practice would be with something similar. If carrying 38 158gr HP them shoot 158fmj. And if you really really really hate recoil then 130gr

I'm not going to carry a 9 and shoot a 32 so why do it with this?
    Last edited by Arik; 08-07-19 at 15:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    If it has less recoil and better terminal ballistics than a .38+ from a sub, then it sounds to me like it fills a niche.
    32 H&R has less recoil than your average +P load in 38.

327 FM can be pretty snappy and is closer to 357 in recoil but I don't think it is anything unmanageable. More loud and obnoxious than anything.

Don't forget the additional ammo capacity. Is five always enough? Would six really make a difference?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    32 H&R has less recoil than your average +P load in 38.

327 FM can be pretty snappy and is closer to 357 in recoil but I don't think it is anything unmanageable. More loud and obnoxious than anything.

Don't forget the additional ammo capacity. Is five always enough? Would six really make a difference?

From my own POV, I can CCW a a 9mm that's not much larger in size, 8+1, and don't see a real need/benefit to snub wheel guns, but for those who like them, seems like added capacity, similar or better terminal ballistics to .38+p etc, makes some sense. Sounds like it might make for a solid BUG to a primary carry too.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast