Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 77gr OTM or 62gr Bonded

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    I guess that’s all fine and dandy when the target isn’t moving, and all rounds are touching where they impact the barrier...
    This argument comes up a lot but I think it’s overrated. Sure, if you’re fighting across city blocks or in a ****ing hemp field, but inside of most houses I’ve been in, there’s not a whole lot of moving to do. Furniture is typically against the wall and what isn’t, is more concealment than cover. Best case for the bad guy, he catches a round coming around the corner and ducks back before catching a second. Changing directions like that takes a second though, and at 5-10 meters, most people can probably send a whole bunch more rounds at him before he shields himself. And even at that, it’s probably drywall sooo...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    This argument comes up a lot but I think it’s overrated.
    I disagree. If I was going to bank on best case then I'd go all the way and run 55gr varmint bullets. They usually cause impressive damage on unobstructed shots. The thing is barrier blind is more consistent, both without and especially with a barrier.

It is the need for OTM accuracy that I question the most in a self defense load.

Feedback Score
    I suppose I’m late to this thread. But, I’ve noticed we’ve come full circle. I remember being disparaged years ago for recommending bonded-core hunting rounds for defensive carbines and being told I was an idiot and that MK 262 was the secret sauce. I was told to “keep that Fudd shit in the woods” and other bullshit.

I’ve seen my fair share of gunshot wounds, and I’ve killed my fair share of game, varmints, and predators. As said above, a V-Max would be the preferred round *if* you could guarantee perfect open-air targets and perfect angles. Honestly, with a shot that misses the desired spots, the V-Max offers lots of damage to soft tissue, more likely to cause arterial damage leading to hemorrhage vs a bonded or solid. It’s also less likely to over-penetrate. We cannot, however, rely on something unreliable. We need consistency. We can roll the dice. That’s why I use Gold Dots or TSXs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    As someone here already said, at short distances, choosing one round over the other is splitting hairs. One round may have slightly better terminal ballistics over the other and another round will have slightly better barrier penetration over the other but at the end of the day, it’s a rifle wound. Either round will penetrate a couch or a chair.

These rounds may shine one over the other at distances. For example, at X yards with Y long of a barrel, the expanding bullet may be a better choice due to the velocity not causing the fragmenting one to fragment. Or at X yards with Y long of a barrel the longer and heavier bullet may be a little more accurate and maintain it’s speed a little better. At 10 ft or 10 yards, the differences are negligible. Plain old 55 gr would suffice. If you had the newest 77gr +P Ultra Tap Match Grade Fragmenting Hollow Point with the Lime Green Tip and your opponent had plain old 55 gr, whoever got hit first in a vital area would probably lose.

These headbreaker ammo choices are first world problems.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345