Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 77gr OTM or 62gr Bonded

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

77gr OTM or 62gr Bonded

Searching and reading has left me without an absolute understanding of which is best for me.

I keep a carbine and four loaded 30 round mags in the bedroom safe. The mags are currently loaded with IMI 77gr OTM but I have a few hundred rounds of Federal LE223T3 62 gr bonded soft point on hand.

Which round is best for home defense inside my typical 2 story studs and drywall home when overpenetration and effectiveness are the prime considerations?

Engaging outside my home is not a consideration.

Thank you

Andy

P.S. I also have plenty of Hornady "Black" 55gr HP, but feel its inferior to the choices above.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-02-19 at 07:42.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I think 77 TMK is the best choice for your priorities. But 62 grain bonded ammo is no slouch, and is in my mags.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Either will do. But I am partial to the 62gr bonded ‘FBI’ load. Good barrier-blind performance, expansion and weight retention.

And, I think the issue of over-penetration is overblown. Of more concern is under-penetation. Failing to get enough penetration to result in a good hit allows the bad guy to keep on killing. And I have not read of any credible accounts of a bullet over penetrating and causing harm. As a note of interest, FBI tests found all 9mm loads tested to penetrate more than 223 rounds.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The expanding (bonded or solid copper) type bullets have more consistent terminal performance than the fragmenting.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    The expanding (bonded or solid copper) type bullets have more consistent terminal performance than the fragmenting.
    Indeed.

To the OP, you have been misled by the propaganda machine that is Mk262. Im going to slay some sacred cows here but SMKs are NOT a good round for HD/Duty. I know of zero departments that have chosen a 77gr as a duty load that wasnt for LE snipers. Unless you have some kind of precision requirement, there is NO reason to be using 77gr SMK in your gun. Contrary to popular belief 77gr SMK will penetrate MORE interior walls than a good bonded load.

If you want an OTM round because you think barriers wont be involved then 75gr TAP or 77gr TMK is a much better option. But you are better off with a good bonded round for the reasons stated above.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    TMK>SMK in 77gr for this purpose.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    TMK>SMK in 77gr for this purpose.
    Its probably the most destructive .224 caliber bullet Ive seen in testing. Unfortunately its not barrier blind otherwise I'd be my go to round.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Its probably the most destructive .224 caliber bullet Ive seen in testing. Unfortunately its not barrier blind otherwise I'd be my go to round.
    Agreed.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy

Feedback Score
    Years ago you had to choose great terminal performance or good barrier performance.
    Newer bonded loads like the T3 offer both and make better all-around rounds.

Honestly, for HD i doubt it matters.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I will swap the 77gr SMK for the 62gr bonded loads, since I have them.

Thanks
    Andy

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast