Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 77gr OTM or 62gr Bonded

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Searching and reading has left me without an absolute understanding of which is best for me.

I keep a carbine and four loaded 30 round mags in the bedroom safe. The mags are currently loaded with IMI 77gr OTM but I have a few hundred rounds of Federal LE223T3 62 gr bonded soft point on hand.

Which round is best for home defense inside my typical 2 story studs and drywall home when overpenetration and effectiveness are the prime considerations?

Engaging outside my home is not a consideration.

Thank you

Andy

P.S. I also have plenty of Hornady "Black" 55gr HP, but feel its inferior to the choices above.
    Nothing wrong with wanting to optimize performance, but there's a point at which it's hair splitting. It's a rifle in a house. Pick one of those loads and practice until you can consistently place it in a 2" circle from any strong- or support-side shooting position in dim light at any distance in your home.

Frankly, if your home is a typical size and floorplan I would just double down on pistol skills.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Nothing wrong with wanting to optimize performance, but there's a point at which it's hair splitting. It's a rifle in a house. Pick one of those loads and practice until you can consistently place it in a 2" circle from any strong- or support-side shooting position in dim light at any distance in your home.

Frankly, if your home is a typical size and floorplan I would just double down on pistol skills.
    I took your advice to heart last night. My wife and Officer Marks both insist (rather rudely I might add) that I'm not allowed to practice shooting in my house. My dog seems pretty pissed at me too, not sure what that is all about.

Andy

Seriously, thank you for your input. You are spot on that I was putting way too much thinking into derails and not the big picture.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post

I have a Glock 19 in the bedroom, a Glock 48 in the kitchen, and a ChiCom 12 gauge pump in the hallway closet for home defense. A S&W J-Frame .38 is in my gun room in the basement. Personally, I mostly rely on handguns for home defense. Not knocking anyone who chooses otherwise mind you, but if I need a long-gun it'll be for outdoors.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have easy access to my 10.3 suppressed Colt and don't get too fusy about my bullets. I load it with ammo I feed it on a regular basis. I only use a 20 round mag at that. If I need more than 20 rounds inside my house I'm probably fked.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Practice right hand corners & using your white light effectively.

Running drills with a friend at his place we discovered these were the skillsets that needed the most work for us.

bonded > OTM > FMJ

though the first two are closer than the last two

OTM went through car doors with a training group that shot cars up to demonstrate rounds and their effectiveness vs vehicle cover
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 07-12-19 at 20:19.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I keep a G19 by the bed and then a suppressed 10.5" about 15 ft away. I keep it loaded with a 30rd mag of Speer 64gr GD. I'm a very light sleeper. The cat walking across the room wakes me up. So the first thing I'm heading for is the AR even though my handgun is on my nightstand.

Feedback Score
    The Federal 223T3 is about as good as it gets. Terminal performance is probably the best of any bonded bullet. Holds together great and expands with great penetration. In my opinion the best LE defense load ever made. Followed by the Mk318 SOST round.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I think 77 TMK is the best choice for your priorities. But 62 grain bonded ammo is no slouch, and is in my mags.
    This. 77tmk isnt very accurate (2-3moa out of 1.25moa guns) in any gun I've shot it through, but across a livingroom it is a moot point.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    The Federal 223T3 is about as good as it gets. Terminal performance is probably the best of any bonded bullet. Holds together great and expands with great penetration. In my opinion the best LE defense load ever made. Followed by the Mk318 SOST round.
    I disagree. It is best through barriers, but gold dot is doing more on open air shots regarding tissue disruption.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    How does 223T3 differ from the FBI round? Is it the same projectile but SAAMI spec?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast