Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spike's "Retro"

Feedback Score

Spike's "Retro"

Since the Retro thing has taken hold with a lot of folks, Spike's has their own version. Which is noteworthy since some consider them to be one of the "skateboard shops" of the AR world, with their unusual designs and motifs.

I note that this is an HBAR version. Has the HBAR become associated with the whole "Retro" thing?

https://www.spikestactical.com/colle...0-retro-build/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Stag has a similar offering that they brand as a "Retro" rifle too - 20" barreled flat top with a detachable carry handle. The Stag and this Spike's gun are just M16A4 style rifles, which were phased out of USMC service like what, two years ago? Not even close to fitting my definition of "Retro".

Regarding the HBAR, Spike's Not-Retro probably has a "government profile" barrel rather than an actual heavy barrel. Government profile is only heavy forward of the FSB.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 06-02-19 at 13:36.

Feedback Score
    You got me curious about the barrel profile, so I sent an E-Mail to Spike's requesting information. I guess I took it as being a full-length heavy barrel since the rifle weighs 9 pounds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wouldn't call that retro but at I do like the 20 inch guns so having another company making them is good I guess.

Honestly if they did it with an a2 upper I'd say it was retro. An a4 upper with a carry handle though no.

Feedback Score
    DS Arms has their "Service Series" A4. Although it also features an HBAR profile:

https://www.dsarms.com/p-17082-dsarm...-upgrades.aspx

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    I wouldn't call that retro but at I do like the 20 inch guns so having another company making them is good I guess.

Honestly if they did it with an a2 upper I'd say it was retro. An a4 upper with a carry handle though no.

Yeah, 20 inch ARs are great guns and still very relevant for civilian use if nothing else. Just don't call these Spike's guns Retros. Also if they are actually true HBAR profile, that's a big turn off for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    You got me curious about the barrel profile, so I sent an E-Mail to Spike's requesting information. I guess I took it as being a full-length heavy barrel since the rifle weighs 9 pounds.
    Knowing Spike's, they'll probably tell you it's "proprietary information".

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    If it was REALLY retro, they'd sell it for $575 - like the PWA HBAR I bought in 1991.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    It might be a decent rifle, but that spider logo is just fugly.

Feedback Score
    Received a reply from Spike's customer service rep regarding the barrel profile on this particular mode. This is a full-length heavy barrel.

This is Spike's HBAR:

https://www.spikestactical.com/colle...arrel-hbar-20/

Looks like a hefty chunk of CMV under those handguards. Probably a "no go" for many folks.
    Last edited by Slater; 06-03-19 at 09:20.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Received a reply from Spike's customer service rep regarding the barrel profile on this particular mode. This is a full-length heavy barrel.

This is Spike's HBAR:

https://www.spikestactical.com/colle...arrel-hbar-20/

Looks like a hefty chunk of CMV under those handguards. Probably a "no go" for many folks.
    As someone who handles and shoots actual Retro style 20" pencil barreled ARs regularly, the barrel profile on the Spike's Not-Retro truly looks like the stuff of nightmares.

Now I'm really not clear what Spike's was thinking with this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast