Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best standard safety selector

Feedback Score

Best standard safety selector

This will probably seem trivial to most. But I have a few builds in which I used Aero and other generic lower parts kits for and the safety selectors are not positive at all. I tried a Geissele posi snap safety but it was entirely too stiff.

Are there particular safety selectors you choose over others?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I have been switching over to Radian Talons, for the most part.

If you want to try something different, Rock River Arms has their star safety.
    Last edited by JediGuy; 10-25-19 at 22:28.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Badger Ordnance for me.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I don't think I've ever seen this discussed but I've just gone with the assumption that standard safeties are like milspec triggers. Some are really good while others are not and its all luck of the draw.

I do know that the Radians are awesome, I have three and two of them have seen a lot of use over the past few years. If it really annoys you and you don't mind the expense, they're a solid upgrade and you can keep the standard 90* throw or experiment with 45* if you want to, with the same safety.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I remember reading a relevant tech post here long time ago. Basically check (or replace) your safety spring and detent, as well as your grip. Some grips have a spring hole drilled too deep which cause mushiness by not having enough pressure applied to the safety. I personally have witnessed some noticeable depth variance of 1.5-2mm (pretty bad) between different grips.

Depending on how old your spring&detent are or their manufacturing quality both are considered a wear item. I was going to try a Geissele safety as I don't mind a fairly stiff feel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I bought a batch of CMMG ambi safeties on sale several years ago. They worked just fine for my tastes, not too sloppy, and not to tight. I used them on the first builds I did with no complaints.

After they ran out, I really shopped price for plain jane safeties, most recently I've been using these on builds: https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JBO...mbi-safety.htm

They seem to work OK and give you the 60 or 90 degree option.

If I don't like the way a safety feels, I have also had good luck using KNS detent pins to solve problems. (Duffy suggested this to me in a post several years ago.)

I have not had good luck with the Noveske/Magpul STS functionally, and did not care at all for the feel of the Seekins levers.

Currently on my 'keeper rifles I am using 'gamer' safeties - the V-7 Hybrid: https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/...-rh-selectors/ Initially I wondered if I'd get along with the levers, but, surprisingly, I like them.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 10-26-19 at 01:56.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by younggrasshopper View Post
    This will probably seem trivial to most. But I have a few builds in which I used Aero and other generic lower parts kits for and the safety selectors are not positive at all. I tried a Geissele posi snap safety but it was entirely too stiff.

Are there particular safety selectors you choose over others?
    LMT has the best mil-spec safeties out of all the part kits I've used.

Feedback Score
    I've had a few safetys that had an unsatisfying feel, but in those few cases, changing the spring and detent resulted in a better feel.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    BCM, if they still make a single sided safety.

It's not trivial - I like a crisp selector and I personally feel they are safer than one that may or may not be fully on Safe or Fire.

I agree with Wake27 that it's kind of the luck of the draw. I pulled a safety, spring, and detent out of a bag of safety parts that felt mushy before and have an awesome, crisp safety with the receiver and grip I installed them in.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-26-19 at 07:53.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I've had better luck changing the springs and detents than the actual selector.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast