Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taming the 10.5

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Taming the 10.5

Hey AR enthusiast.

I have 500 rounds and multiple range sessions on my PSA 10.5 build now, and have some brief observations. When shooting both from the bench for precision, or when running it as fast as possible; I have noticed the 10.5 is much more of a jack hammer than my mid length guns. I dont neccesairly believe the gun is over gassed though. It ejects really consistantly to the 3 O clock, and even has an H2 buffer with milspec spring. I could pull the gas block and measure the gas port to see if that really is the issue, but I just dont feel like it is. Am I just noticing the difference between carbine and mid length gas systems?

It appears that I have 3 different hardware approachs to this problem:

1. A5 buffer system. ~$100 I feel like this is the easiest approach?
    https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...ediate-shk.htm

2. Adjustable Gas BCG. ~$180 More expensive but also doesnt sound too bad. https://bootleginc.com/product/full-...table-carrier/

3. Adjustable Gas block. ~$60-$100. This is the solution I dont really like. For some reason I just see it as the most unreliable way to fix a problem. Let me know if you have an adjustable gas block that has been rock solid.

Or let me know if I should just rock on, and let the little gun be a BLASTER.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If you’re looking to choke down the gas, BRT’s EZTune gas tubes are $50, install super quick, and have no moving parts.

Edit: Its also worth noting that 10.x” barrels can be finicky.
    Last edited by 1168; 06-02-19 at 17:07. Reason: Add

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you're running a H2 buffer with a good action spring and your 10.5" AR is hitting you like a jackhammer, it's over gassed.

I've been using an SLR adjustable gas block and it works good. It's reliable.

I've also been using a BRT Micro Port. It works good and it's reliable.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I would assume but may be wrong, that the PSA is horribly over gassed. Black River Tactical (www.blackrivertactical.com) as mentioned above has a number of options for your issue be it gas blocks, gas tubes, or choke down gas ports. Clint is pretty active on here and he may chime in, if not you may want to ping him (https://www.m4carbine.net/member.php?36542-Clint) and he will help you out.

I have a DD MK18 (newer model with the smaller gas port) that either sits on a pistol lower or a SBR lower. The SBR lower has a A5 with a5h2 and a green sprinco spring. The pistol lower just has a h2 buffer. IMO the A5 smoothes out most SBRs and would not be a bad investment but will not solve your issue nor will the adjustable bolt carrier. You are not going to get a 10.5 to shoot like a mid length 14.5 or 16 inch. Just the nature of the beast.

I would start with Clint and I think you will be surprised with the outcome.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Cheaper to buy a quality, properly built AR from the beginning, IMO.

Doing all that to a PSA is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "cheaper to buy quality in the begining..."

LOL I am only $600 into the whole guns including optics. Most well known companies still dont have proper gas ports. I already own a BCM and another fraken carbine that has proven its self for thousands of rounds... and then I had this one select fire colt for 4 years... I know my way around the Ar platform and this is just a 'fun gun'. And to boot I think this pistol looks incredible...

I really like the option for the bas tube from BRT. What port size would ya'll recommend for a 10.5 that sees lots of steel and reloads?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I really like the option for the bas tube from BRT. What port size would ya'll recommend for a 10.5 that sees lots of steel and reloads?
    Ping Clint and he will tell you exactly what you need

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ...I really like the option for the bas tube from BRT. What port size would ya'll recommend for a 10.5 that sees lots of steel and reloads?
    When ordering, select barrel length, gas system length ammo type etc. and they'll send you the right gas tube. BRT customer service is top notch. They'll take care of you.

http://www.blackrivertactical.com/co...=0&sort=normal
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Snip

I’ve just been filling out the form, and getting whatever BRT sends, with good results. What muzzle device is that?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    A5 is easy and safe. Id start with A5 then Clints option is GTG as well. Actually you could start with either.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast